What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New 8KW stealth Coco chip grow!

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
OK I got my motorized intake shutter installed last night, all stealthed and stuff. i think I'll start a new thread for it once I get the pics uploaded, it's pretty slick and dropped my room temps about 8-10 degrees. It at least keeps it from going over ambient now, which is good enough for me!

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
ingenious idea lazyman, k+, your show is lookin awesome by the way

Hey thanks buddy, much appreciated! Just trying to get it all 100% dialed-in so the next grow goes even better and lets me be lazy, at some point I hope! LOL.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Oh and the buds are at Day 45 today, some hairs on the indicas (Ice and whatnot) are starting to turn brown a bit at the top, am noticing some smell inside the room but nothing outside (all I care about really.) Ozone generator is on full boogie and really helps half the room smell fresh and clean, at least. Fungus gnats seem to me 99% gone, I see one here and there but I think they're not gonna make it.

growshower

sounds great man, i have to say farmtek is a pretty cool company to get stuff from, expensive at times but completely non sketch to order from, buds are lookin great (wish we could get some closeup shots) best of luck in your harvest and dialing in your show, that is really important in getting the most bang for your buck in a sense

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Agreed on Farmtek, I'd rather get 1 commercial piece of kit that will give me many years of reliable use than going through 3-5 units from the hydro store! I'll work on some closeups for you, gonna have to get out the good camera :)

growshower

yeah they are awesome, quality stuff as well, well no worries if you don't have a good camera, i don't either so i don't even journal my grows up here

For some reason, I haven't actually checked in on your thread here yet Bro!
Gimme a couple days to make it up to ya ;)...I'm looking forward to the read.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
For some reason, I haven't actually checked in on your thread here yet Bro!
Gimme a couple days to make it up to ya ;)...I'm looking forward to the read.

No worries mate, enjoy and let me know if you have any questions. I took some closeup shots for growshower last night, let me get em uploaded for all to see.

Cheers!

N

nippirt

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks for the informative thread, Lazyman.
I'm planning an ebb and flow with those coco chips in smart pots, using Botanicare 2x2 trays.
Two questions:
1.) Do you get much debris runoff from the chips?
2.) I love sativa--would you recommend the 10" Smart Pots for a 12 week flowering Jack Herer?

Smart Pots

starlg_New.gif
smartpots.jpg
By taking advantage of the benefits of traditional plastic gardening containers while eliminating the shortcomings, Smart Pots truly live up to their name! These soft growing containers allow more air to reach the growing medium and roots, improving drainage and keeping the root system from overheating on hot days. Plant roots also benefit from their natural tendency to grow into soft surfaces like the Smart Pot, becoming thick and healthy instead of circling the inside of the pot and becoming root-bound. Air prunes the plant’s root structure.

DIMENSIONS AND ACTUAL VOLUMES:

No. 724700 — 7” x 5.5” and .83 Gallons
No. 724705 — 8” x 7” and 1.9 Gallons
No. 724710 — 10” x 8.5” and 2.9 Gallons
No. 724715 — 12” x 10.5” and 5.1 Gallons
No. 724720 — 14” x 10.5” and 7.0 Gallons

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
awesome grow lazy. keep up the good work.

Thanks man!

nippirt:2537350 said:
Thanks for the informative thread, Lazyman.
I'm planning an ebb and flow with those coco chips in smart pots, using Botanicare 2x2 trays.
Two questions:
1.) Do you get much debris runoff from the chips?
2.) I love sativa--would you recommend the 10" Smart Pots for a 12 week flowering Jack Herer?

Nope not that I've noticed, even when I spill some it doesn't usually cause problems with the drain fittings, but I have had to clean em out about once a month so watch your tables when it floods, at least 1-2 times a week.

Yeah the 10" (3gallon) pots should be fine for that, in a 2X2 I think you'd fit 5-6 per tray, but I wouldn't veg em more than 7-9 days. I'm doing a handful of Jack Herers right now, they are the happiest plants in my garden and are just beautiful! I doubt they'll take 12 weeks to flower though, maybe 9-10.

N

nippirt

Great--I appreciate your quick reply, Lazyman.

I haven't bought my trays yet but I believe the 2x2 interior is less than nominal (unlike the other sizes of Botanicare). One site lists it as 22" square so 4 of the 10" pots will fit fine with some breathing space.

This thread came at a perfect time for me. I was setting up for a serious DWC grow but the temperatures here mean I'd constantly be battling high reservoir temps.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Hmm, I know everyone prefers Botanicare because the white doesn't heat up, they are bigger, and apparently much more sturdy than the cheaper black trays (I'm told some guys even stand in em!)

Res temps can be tricky, if you don't have a flat res sitting on a cool concrete slab, then you will probably need a chiller to keep it under 70* F. I've used water heater blankets wrapped around my 55 gallon round res with good results, but this only helps slow down temp transitions. I even tried running a small heat exchanger in front of my window AC to the res below it, didn't do much. Hope that helps!

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
hey lazy lets say you were sog'in it out what would you use 1 gal pots? or bigger? and how many you think you could put on a 4x4 considering space issues of course...i can get 49 1 gal pots on a 4x4 but there not smart pots.... not sure what the size diff... you prob dont know either if your using 3 gals lol... just thought id ask...

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
hey lazy lets say you were sog'in it out what would you use 1 gal pots? or bigger? and how many you think you could put on a 4x4 considering space issues of course...i can get 49 1 gal pots on a 4x4 but there not smart pots.... not sure what the size diff... you prob dont know either if your using 3 gals lol... just thought id ask...

Yeah, I did a lazy man's sog, next time I'll prune more and lollipop, more plants (still running only 7 of 8 tables) but I think the 2 gallon smartpots work great, 25-32 per tray fits fine under a single 1000w.

Think I'm gonna get some round pot covers to cover the coco, keep the gnats out better. Still finding them in the chips, but not as bad as before. Added SM90 to the res, and 1 more dunk per res. :)

N

nippirt

Hello again

Hello again

I was going to quiz you about the CalMag but you answered my question here: http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=129773
(you don't need it with your unfiltered well water).

I do have another question. What height are your overflow tubes? In other words, how high are you flooding the Smart Pots?

TIA
:bongsmi: