What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

OG Kush, and Trainwreck. Drain to waste coco with House & Garden Nutes

Mo Budz

Thanks for the response Mo. I'm really intrigued by the pH changing and I'm going to give that a try this run and see how it works. I'm always interested in new (well-thought out) techniques to increase yield :)

As far as the Top Booster, now you kinda have me freaked out about using it... lol. Ok maybe not freaked out, just weary. My Whiteberries are supposed to be a 50 day strain and they're at day 14 right now and coming along nicely so I think I'ma hit them with it for 3 days here in about 3-4 days. Hopefully its of benefit.

Lookin forward to the update, you're about a week ahead of me so its fun following along... thanks again.

No prob bro. Don't be scared of the Top booster, it is a great product, and timing is essential with it, but it sounds like your on the right track. The main thing is start a little on the light side with it, and judge how your strain reacts to it. Take notes, and next time around if you noticed some results, try pushing it a little more untill you come close to the recomended dose. It's awsome stuff, and as long as you use it right, you will have no problems in your garden. By what you said for your application, that sounds good. You should be starting it around day 18, and running it in your rez untill day 21.

Good luck, and thanks for joining in.

Mo Budz

Its such a pleasure to see a really nice and clean set up a+ brah.

Thanks Twisted, here are the pics I promised. These babies are at day 21 here, starting week 4. I topped off the rez, and set the ppm's to around 750 again on the .7 scale. pH was also set to 6.2 this week, and up to 6.5 for next week. Anyways, on with the show...

Garden Profile:
picture.php

picture.php

The OG Kush:
picture.php

picture.php

The Nightshade:
picture.php

picture.php

The Train Wreck:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

And last, a fun little experiment using an aerogarden to flower some grandaddy purps that are about 2 weeks into flower. Should be interesting to see how these come out using the provided aerogarden nutrient tablets for food. So far, so good...
picture.php

picture.php

G

guest5703

cool little experiment with the GDPs. Dude your garden is amazing, I can't talk long but I just had to say your doing a wonderful job! Are the TWs the real cut, they look damn close if not the real deal for sure. That nightshade is a trip, frostiest strain you got and purple already! Alright PEACE

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
wow Mo i like your idea of raising the PH, my plants are about 1 month into flowering and probably need more phosphorus.

also, that night shade looks freakin incredible.

another quick question, your SCROG net, is that custom wired just by taking wire and stringing it around those bamboo stakes? I kinda need a scrog screen myself because my plants are all over the place right now.

Mo Budz

cool little experiment with the GDPs. Dude your garden is amazing, I can't talk long but I just had to say your doing a wonderful job! Are the TWs the real cut, they look damn close if not the real deal for sure. That nightshade is a trip, frostiest strain you got and purple already! Alright PEACE

Thanks cali, was just checkin out your perpetual, and that purps is off the hook. Ya the wreck is the real deal arcata cut. Smells just like pine-sol with that danky aftertone. Here in a couple weeks that nightshade really picks up. Its one of the most beautifull plants I own, but stone wise, its so so. Perfect for the morning or day tho.

nice grow you got going, lookin real nice n clean keep it up :joint:

Thanks Asher1er, more to come soon

wow Mo i like your idea of raising the PH, my plants are about 1 month into flowering and probably need more phosphorus.

also, that night shade looks freakin incredible.

another quick question, your SCROG net, is that custom wired just by taking wire and stringing it around those bamboo stakes? I kinda need a scrog screen myself because my plants are all over the place right now.

Thanks prop 215. Ya I just tied some string to the stakes to hold up that trainwreck. that stuff falls all over the place when it starts to put on weight, so I am experimenting with this. Not sure if it will work, but its worth a shot.

Mo Budz

Here are some cool charts based of the H&G Coco line of nutes. This is an exact breakdown of what my plants have been fed in both the elemental form of N,P,K,Mg...etc, and a total ppm of the solution.

The ppm calculations are based off of mixing 1ml per gallon of R.O. water of each product, and testing them with my meter. The program then calculates the totals by your res size/ml's per gallon and is very close to what my meter reads.

For those who use the Lucas formula, you might have some interest in these numbers as the do vary a little from what others recomend, and I am still experimenting with adding varried ammounts to acheive different nutrient profiles in the different stages of growth. If anyone is interested in this program which is made in microsoft excel, here is a link to the download for it.

http://www.angelfire.com/cantina/fourtwenty/articles/download.htm

It is the premixppm download, and has full instructions on how to use it. It comes setup with GH's flora line, but you can customize it to your own fertilizer.

I also added notes on pre existing conditions in my res when I topped it off and remixed my nutes in it. As you can see, I usually stay to the lower side of feeding to compensate for the cation exchange that coco has. That way I do not risk overfeeding and in turn loosing out on what could of been a great yeild.

Anyways, here are the first 4 res changes I have made so far, and I will post more soon as I update. Thanks again to Mr. Bitti for requesting this.

Week 1
picture.php

Week 2
picture.php

Week 3
picture.php

Week 4
picture.php

max_well

Thanks for your very thorough and detailed grow.
Looks like you have you system well understood.
I like that nutrient profile calculator-- nice that it shows you your price in nutrients for 1 week, made me realize that even though your doing a drain to waste, the overall nutes in the grow aren't too pricey. I guess it's presumed by many that DTW = wasteful, but the relatively low amount of runoff required for success in coco seems just as cost effective the way you do it as a ebb and flow with weekly reservoir changes would be. And of course you have more insurance of the makeup of your nutrients for every feed.
thanks again and keep us posted!
MAX

Last edited:

Oregonic

Thats a really cool lil program you got there Mo. Thanks for posting and sharing with everyone. I've been playing with the pH raising and so far, so good... they seem like they're liking it. I'm looking forward to a pics update from you.

Thanks again for spreading the knowledge

Mo Budz

Thanks for your very thorough and detailed grow.
Looks like you have you system well understood.
I like that nutrient profile calculator-- nice that it shows you your price in nutrients for 1 week, made me realize that even though your doing a drain to waste, the overall nutes in the grow aren't too pricey. I guess it's presumed by many that DTW = wasteful, but the relatively low amount of runoff required for success in coco seems just as cost effective the way you do it as a ebb and flow with weekly reservoir changes would be. And of course you have more insurance of the makeup of your nutrients for every feed.
thanks again and keep us posted!
MAX

Thanks Max. I started experimenting with drain to waste in coco a couple years ago, and have seen much more impressive results than when I ran a recirc system. Coco works very well in a recirc too, but in my opinion, much more care must be taken to prevent any nutrient imbalances in the rez. I like the ease of the dtw, and the fact that the rez stays nice and clean between fills. I kind of went out on a limb using a 50 gallon rez to water 40 2gal's, but at 7 gallons a day, there has been no probs.

Thanks again

Mo Budz

Thats a really cool lil program you got there Mo. Thanks for posting and sharing with everyone. I've been playing with the pH raising and so far, so good... they seem like they're liking it. I'm looking forward to a pics update from you.

Thanks again for spreading the knowledge

Np oregonic. In the past, I used to always set my ph at 5.7 to 5.8, and let it do it's thing for the whole week in a recirculating system. It would usually finish the end of the week at 6.5. I noticed that in coco starting a little higher gave me a better end result in the later weeks. Now that im in a dtw, the ph stays stable all week, and by slowly raising it as the demand for p and k goes up the flower formations have came on alot stronger. I'm sure its not a new thing to hydroponics, but I'm happy with the results i'm getting from doing it.

Thanks again, and have fun with it.

Here are a few night shots from day 25.

Wreck
picture.php

picture.php

NS
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

And last the OG (wich isn't very impressive untill about week 6 or 7 of flower)
picture.php

some dried og....much better
picture.php

Mr.Bitti

very beautiful. had to ask, is there really no calcium-sulfur in the mix? or is those calculations only for N-P-K and Mg?

Mo Budz

I just based the elements off of what the bottle's guarenteed analysis says. Seems a little strange to me too that they are not listed, but it could be a label thing since it is being imported.

M Blaze

Those are some amazing pics! Very beutiful plants you have there. I also grow in coco, I think its great stuff.

Techna

This thread is awsome, i love your setup, i have been growing soil for a couple years.. i also just started a few in coco and love it, i use pure coco and i am just amazed at how fast they perform compared to my soil grows, i am also using H&S Cocos for grow, but in bloom i am using botanicars new CNS17 Bloom, and Ripe, Great White, 1 feeding of open sesame when bloom starts. anyways very impressed with the grow, Keep it up!

Oregonic

Yo Mo hope everything is going well my man. Been slowly bringing my pH up for the last couple weeks and the plants seem to be lovin it... thanks for that recommendation. I also ran the Top Booster days 18-20 and the girls responded very well. I will definitely continue to use that stuff. Can't wait to finish giving your lil program a run here and see how it does... from the look of things right now, its gonna be

:woohoo:

Lookin forward to an update - I wanna see how that Nightshade is lookin :) I'm also wondering how much of the Shooting Powder you give em in weeks 6 & 7? You keep it at one packet per 25 gal all three weeks or do you ever up it to two? And I think you mentioned somewhere earlier in the thread that you cut the A&B out completely the last week? I wanna give your program a true go, so I gotta know :)

:joint:Oregonic

Mo Budz

Those are some amazing pics! Very beutiful plants you have there. I also grow in coco, I think its great stuff.

Thanks M Blaze.

This thread is awsome, i love your setup, i have been growing soil for a couple years.. i also just started a few in coco and love it, i use pure coco and i am just amazed at how fast they perform compared to my soil grows, i am also using H&S Cocos for grow, but in bloom i am using botanicars new CNS17 Bloom, and Ripe, Great White, 1 feeding of open sesame when bloom starts. anyways very impressed with the grow, Keep it up!

Thanks Techna, I just got some CNS17 Grow for coco that I am using on my mothers, and rooted clones. So far it seems like great stuff, and goes along great with botanicares coco.

Yo Mo hope everything is going well my man. Been slowly bringing my pH up for the last couple weeks and the plants seem to be lovin it... thanks for that recommendation. I also ran the Top Booster days 18-20 and the girls responded very well. I will definitely continue to use that stuff. Can't wait to finish giving your lil program a run here and see how it does... from the look of things right now, its gonna be

:woohoo:

Lookin forward to an update - I wanna see how that Nightshade is lookin :) I'm also wondering how much of the Shooting Powder you give em in weeks 6 & 7? You keep it at one packet per 25 gal all three weeks or do you ever up it to two? And I think you mentioned somewhere earlier in the thread that you cut the A&B out completely the last week? I wanna give your program a true go, so I gotta know :)
:joint:Oregonic

Thanks Oregonic. That top booster does great things if used right. Sounds like u used it at a good time. When I use it, I just top my rez off and add it at the rate of around 4.5 to 5ml's per gallon. I don't add any A or B for the final 3 days of the week. On the Shooting Powder, I usually give it 2 packs per 50 gallons for week 5, and 3 packs for week 6 and 7 while dropping the A&B. Depending on how green they are in week 6 determines if I cut the A&B out for week 7. Sometimes I'll throw a very low dose of A&B for week 7, and flush week 8.

Here is an update, half way through week 5 on day 32 of flower.

Thanks again

Garden:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

NS:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

OG:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

TW:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Week 5 Feed:
picture.php

G

guest5703

dude your nuts! You've got everything down to a T!!!! Congrats on being a seriously informed grower, a pro. I can't believe you've actually got the the cost down for each week lmao, too great!

Your plants are looking fucking bomb too, can't wait to see the final result, looks like the TW will yield the most?? NS looks fantastic! Keep it going dude you will have such a fat dank harvest!!! This is truly impressive to watch! PEACE

Latest posts

Latest posts