What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Please can we have a ‘Cannabis Botany and advanced growing science’ forum ?

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi there :tiphat:, like the title suggests I think a forum like this would be a great addition to the boards. There are a bunch of members who like to try and apply plant science to cannabis growing and discussions often get bogged down by other members who refuse to read any references but insist on arguing in a deliberately obtuse manner because they don’t like being shown that their assumptions are based on junk science.

Whilst, as a professional gardener, I value experience highly, I find that the cannabis community has a plethora of growers with practical experience but a dearth of people who have studied the science behind it all to any great degree –which makes academics a very valuable part of our community. Given that said academics don’t always have a high degree of tact and diplomacy when faced with a barrage of mostly pointless or redundant arguments ;) , I feel a place where scientific info could be shared and discussed in the proper manner would help the more academically learned members fulfill their huge potential worth to this community.
Given the legal problems surrounding MJ, the practice of growing has existed largely in it’s own bubble for many years and in this way there is a lot of junk science and misinformation perpetuated. Finally we seem to have come to a crossroads where there is an opportunity to drag what we know into the 21st centuary, going from old school to new school if you like.

What better place than IC to host this revolution and move things forward for those that want it?

I have spoken to some people about this. Most importantly spurr says he would support such a forum (I hope and pray that his ban is temporary and he comes back - because he has a huge amount of knowledge that he is prepared to share). If there is a problem with shortage of moderators then I would consider doing the job myself (if I was deemed worthy).

Lets take growing to the next level with the help and support of icmag! - this will be the stuff of legend.

Sincerely

VG

sac beh

Great idea Verdant. I strongly support this forum idea. Currently the growers forums are a mix between grow journals, anecdotal advice, sometimes just plain myth, and botany. The botany part (or advanced growing science) really deserves a separate forum. A place where people can post up their professional and amateur experience in cannabis botany and research into what's properly called the science of cannabis growing.

Most of all it would be a great way to centralize all the great knowledge a lot of our members have that sometimes gets lost in the rubble of arguments with the unscientific minded.

Oh, and you should shorten the name to either Advanced Cannabis Botany or Advanced Growing Science but not both, imo.

peace

zenoonez

Veteran
I completely agree. I think we could move a few threads in there immediately and get some real science based discussion going on.

Dr_Tre

Not that I'm advanced in growing science but it would be nice to have all the info in one place.:tiphat:

bugler

I think it's fantastic. Science and psuedoscience both serve us well, but the two worlds often clash....

Bulldog11

Veteran
Bad idea. I want to just spread miss information and have no place to verify. OF COASE this is a great idea. Botany section here we come.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Let it be so...

Kewl!

VerdantGreen would be a great moderator, IMHO. I've read his postings for over 2 years and he's bright and better still he's able to impart his information in a non-confrontational way which is often hard for folks.

Just a couple of thoughts...........

CC

A

arcticsun

Good idea :yes:

Hopefully it could make it easier for those of us wo botanic background to find relevant reviewed references and talk to people on the boards with a botanic background.

zenoonez

Veteran
Kewl!

VerdantGreen would be a great moderator, IMHO. I've read his postings for over 2 years and he's bright and better still he's able to impart his information in a non-confrontational way which is often hard for folks.

CC

I second this... that is... if he wants that responsibility.

g0vnaa

ICE Cream eater
Veteran
Kewl!

CC

Agreed. He always presents great grow reports, with lots of info and pics :blowbubbles: