What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Please can we have a ‘Cannabis Botany and advanced growing science’ forum ?

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks OP, Gypsy, and all who supported the idea.

as for myself being the mod, as i said - i would consider doing it if that was the sticking point. but im just someone who wants to learn more about all this really, im not 'qualified' to teach very much of it at all. if someone like sam skunkman or another existing mod who has good knowledge was up for it then that might be a better idea :)

the other thing that is 'up in the air' is the nature of spurr's ban, i know that it's against the TOU to discuss such things, but although there are many people who could contribute to the new forum, without spurr it will have been shot in the foot before it's even started...

VG

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Nice :)

Nice :)

woohoo.gif

Thanks VG, Gypsy, all, great news.

C

Carl Carlson

Why was spurr banned?

The problem isn't spurr's attitude, it's the people that push bad myths over science and take the special classification of our plant by governments to mean that it grows differently than all other annuals...

Bring back spurr now!

zenoonez

Veteran
the other thing that is 'up in the air' is the nature of spurr's ban, i know that it's against the TOU to discuss such things, but although there are many people who could contribute to the new forum, without spurr it will have been shot in the foot before it's even started...

VG

Qft.

Oh and Verdant, I think you would make a great mod. You don't have to be a teacher, more like a referee :)

Scrogerman

Veteran
I have to show support for spurr too, he might be lippy at times, but bloody hell does he know his shit. Its people like him that make forums, he could be a credit to IC, maybe he's a little missunderstood. I for one dont want to lose the kind of knowledge he seems to posess.
Im chuffed on the botany science forum go-ahead/thumbs-up, its gonna rock! Well-Done matey! ;)

zenoonez

Veteran
I have to show support for spurr too, he might be lippy at times, but bloody hell does he know his shit. Its people like him that make forums, he could be a credit to IC, maybe he's a little missunderstood. I for one dont want to lose the kind of knowledge he seems to posess.
Im chuffed on the botany science forum go-ahead/thumbs-up, its gonna rock! Well-Done matey! ;)

You and me in agreement? Maybe the Mayan calendar was wrong, the world is ending now...

In all seriousness, I completely agree. He was a wealth of knowledge albeit a little rough around the edges. I don't know if he will come back but if he does I will be taking notes.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey guys lets just try and wait and see, i also have strong opinions about the banning of someone who knows so much (without an incredibly good reason), but discussing it here will just get the thread binned as it's against the TOU. hopefully someone might be kind enough to let us know.

thanks

VG

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm in support of the forum and Verdant being referee (if he chooses) and I am also in support of my brother's ban being lifted (if he chooses to have it lifted.)

S

Silence

I don't undersatnd what exactly would change? you have the breeders lab do you not? the prob to me is that its neglected and sometimes the people that were mods for the threads didn't seem too clued up.. the ideal person would of been the likes of Hyb but he snubbed it, whilst i agree with his reasoning on it being a seed sales site, I still feel he would of been better spreading the word as best he could, I feel it should be moderated by someone with plenty of experience and knowledge ala Tom Hill, SamS(even though I find him abrupt at times, we all should respect him), Chimera too would be good, perhaps a few breeders could share their time?

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi silence. this isnt so much about breeding but about botany. how plants grow and what influences the way they grow. indeed the breeders lab has ended up hosting threads such as 'UV light and thc' which isnt really the way it should be.

the idea is that it would be a place where botany and growing science could be discussed and it would be expected that there would be a high level of scientific detail and references. often when these get bought into threads on the boards people end up arguing for the sake of it because they dont like that kind of academic talk and dont see it;s relevance to everyday growing. the scientists chains get yanked, they get angry, people get banned ;)

a place where the science types and experienced open minded growers can discuss without getting poked with a sharp stick, and others like myself can go and learn stuff.

VG

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I believe what is being proposed includes breeding as only a tiny fraction of the plethora of academic/practical scientific research and information available which addresses natural/organic growing methods.

S

Silence

I believe what is being proposed includes breeding as only a tiny fraction of the plethora of acememic/practical scientific research and information available which addresses natural/organic growing methods.

Still don't get it, where will it go? the growers forum? or will it be a new section completely? as in just botany? as above you state organics, surely thats under the organic forum?

M

mugenbao

I'm a member or regular viewer of many cannabis-related boards, but have found that any time I want to look up anything related to growing and the science behind it, ICMag is always the #1 resource. There simply isn't any better place to get advanced growing info.

Unfortunately, the very best info is often buried in amongst other topics. I would like to add my vote for VG's suggestion, because it will really help to consolidate a portion of the advanced knowledge IC is already well known for, and will encourage the participation of very knowledgeable growers as well as those who aspire to be :)

Latest posts

Latest posts