What's new

How do you dispose of old carbon filters?

I

Iron_Lion

Even a can 33 is heavy and bulky as hell I cant even understand how one could dispose of one of the really big filters.

Throwgar

Take it apart. Bury, spread, re-use or throw away the carbon grainules seperately. Remove the top and bottom, and stomp the 2 filter walls flat. Keep on folding and stomping until it's as small as possible. Then toss it in the garbage, or bring it to be recycled.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Take it apart. Bury, spread, re-use or throw away the carbon grainules seperately. Remove the top and bottom, and stomp the 2 filter walls flat. Keep on folding and stomping until it's as small as possible. Then toss it in the garbage, or bring it to be recycled.

LOL, EXACTLY what I came in here to post.

Scatter the pellets on your lawn (or your neighbors at 3 am) and the rest is easily squished.

There's some dude in Garberville CA that rebuilds them, he picks them up from hydro shops and returns them a week later, about 1/2 the price of a new one.

smoke1sun

What Goes Around Comes Around. But Am I Comming Or
Veteran
I was also told that you could bury the carbon in your outdoor gardens. Dont have any facts to back it up but they say is good for your soil?

I was also told that you could "wash" the carbon and reuse it, again never tried it, dont know the facts but maybe someone else can validate or shoot down these suggestions.

I

Iron_Lion

^thats what I figured, seems like a lot of work. Im not down with the idea of refilling it, I just dont think it can be repacked well enough by hand to get rid of all the air gaps. Anyone know if the carbon has any benefit to a compost heap?

C

CANNATOPIA

I would defiantly break it down & take it in with a load for recycled metal. Might even get some change back for the effort. ;)

S

SOUL_U_tions

I would defiantly break it down & take it in with a load for recycled metal. Might even get some change back for the effort. ;)

agreed...as for washing carbon and re-activating it? there cannot be any reason why anyone would wanna do such a thing unless they have in their possession one of them organic Hepa scrubbers which has been designed for such use :tiphat:

big ballin 88

Biology over Chemistry
Veteran
It takes very high heat to re-activate your charcoal. And yes your compost pile or garden bed will do nice with the addition. It is a high source of carbon and makes nice additions to soil.

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Go throw it in a lake or river close to your house or off a bridge, good habitat for critters and carbon is non-toxic plus it gets rid of all the fingerprints on it for you tin-foil hat wearing growers in non-medical states ;)

Or empty out all the carbon and spray paint it flat black put it in the garage amongst the other junk and if anyone ever asks what it is tell them it's a muffler or catalytic converter for a big truck.

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Don't worry it wont float! It will protect some little critters inside of it down on the bottom. :)

dixie wrecked

^thats what I figured, seems like a lot of work. Im not down with the idea of refilling it, I just dont think it can be repacked well enough by hand to get rid of all the air gaps. Anyone know if the carbon has any benefit to a compost heap?

it's not rocket surgery.

the carbon is available. cheap. do some legwork.

use a hole saw to drill an access hole. no need to make a fancy cover, just use the aluminum tape made for sealing ducts.

to properly pack the carbon, fill the filter with new carbon, then throw it in the trunk of your car and take it for a drive. top off an repeat. i bet you'll find that you can do a better job than the factory did. i doubt they did anything more than pour it full and call it good, then the carbon settles during shipping to the hydro shop.

C

coconaut

it's not rocket surgery.

the carbon is available. cheap. do some legwork.

use a hole saw to drill an access hole. no need to make a fancy cover, just use the aluminum tape made for sealing ducts.

to properly pack the carbon, fill the filter with new carbon, then throw it in the trunk of your car and take it for a drive. top off an repeat. i bet you'll find that you can do a better job than the factory did. i doubt they did anything more than pour it full and call it good, then the carbon settles during shipping to the hydro shop.

Sorry but no, maybe you're buying the value brand carbon scrubbers where that may actually be the case, but the quality brand name scrubbers are filled to the tits.
manufacturers use industrial shakers, a car ride does not equal an industrial shaker.
My scrubber, I can roll around, flip it end to end, the carbon within does not move.
IF you were right, and the carbon settles during shipping there would be airspace within the canister after the shipping process. Rolling the scrubber would reveal such.

T

tokinafaty420

Do not dispose of it in a river or lake. There are plenty of overhangs and rocks on the bottom as it is to protect "critters". They don't need your help along with the help of the other hundreds of people who toss garbage in the river for it to collect at the bottom. Stupid idea. Empty it, crush it and recycle it. The carbon can be used to top dress your lawn.

B

B. Self Reliant

Pour out the carbon and crush the metal cylinders. Or, buy an angle grinder and cut it up. Either way it should take about 5 minutes.

KONY

Veteran
random dumpster when business isnt open but not too late to attract attention.

Latest posts

Latest posts