What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Manipuri

meizzwang

Here's the next generation of manipuri seeds that were produced outside their region of origin. These home-made seeds had very high germination rates and the plants were kept small on purpose.

All runts were culled. Surprisingly, unlike the parent plants that produced these seeds, there's zero signs of variegation in the first few sets of leaves, even with a decent sample size (I think I started with 40 seeds). Interestingly, one plant is already showing pistils in early August, maybe there's a chance to select for earlier or "easier" flowering? I'm debating whether or not to reverse this individual.

Here they are for now, will keep you all updated on how these do:
48531774282_f60c3c9265_c.jpg

shiroshi

ICMag Donor
Manipuri Restock Timeline

Manipuri Restock Timeline

For any of you waiting for Manipuri to be restocked like me - I checked with Angus this week and this was his reply:

"The Manipuri should be back in early 2020, everything going to plan."

So hang in there - coming soon!

baduy

My Manipuri are driving me crazy, the more I prune and train them the more they want to overgrow the place and are making thousands of shoots with ridiculously long internodes, nothing sexed yet while they are 5 months old. I'll just forget about them and will see in a month if they made up their mind. Incredibly stubborn plants who just want to grow huge. the old timer hazes and zamaldelica next to them seem tame compared to those things.

chilliwilli

Waterboy
My Manipuri are driving me crazy, the more I prune and train them the more they want to overgrow the place and are making thousands of shoots with ridiculously long internodes, nothing sexed yet while they are 5 months old. I'll just forget about them and will see in a month if they made up their mind. Incredibly stubborn plants who just want to grow huge. the old timer hazes and zamaldelica next to them seem tame compared to those things.
Had this too when i tried to flower them. When i put them in my flowerroom without direct light this stopped and they got a more compact bud structure. Tried them twice but never got them near smokable because of the mega stretch and dry out. Got a 1,5m 4branch lady in a 1.4l pot. Did grow from clones and the later taken clones flowered earlier than the first possible taken clone. Was thinking if a clone from a clone or reveged mothers would lower the months long preflower time but never tried.

baduy

Yeah I was thinking something like that, taking more clones once flowering is initiated and see if they are quicker to react to light changes after reveg.It's an outdoor plant that hates to be grown in a less than tropical environment, or I'll just try to keep a clone of the best looking one then cross it with something more manageable. If I wanted to do more than that I would need a bigger boat

meizzwang

found a feral pheno of Manipuri! This individual has large bracts, loads of resin, slight purpling in bracts from cold stress, and is the fastest finishing individual. Outdoors in the PNW, it looks like it'll finish around the third week of November.

Aside from yield, which is of no concern at this point, it has very promising characteristics! Smells the strongest out of all the other plants, but that might be due to the fact that the other ones aren't as mature just yet.

Here's manipuri, the feral, early pheno:
49016031422_5693c25a6b_b.jpg

Farma

Hopefully these come available before June next year, I'm super keen to see what what they can do with an early start

ngakpa

Veteran
found a feral pheno of Manipuri! This individual has large bracts, loads of resin, slight purpling in bracts from cold stress, and is the fastest finishing individual. Outdoors in the PNW, it looks like it'll finish around the third week of November.

Aside from yield, which is of no concern at this point, it has very promising characteristics! Smells the strongest out of all the other plants, but that might be due to the fact that the other ones aren't as mature just yet.

Here's manipuri, the feral, early pheno:

nice looking resin - are these post-rain?

few things:

worth smoking it before concluding it's definitely feral, as it may be very strong, so the straggliness is morphological rather than genetic per se - large bracts are a domesticated trait, for example

that said, it's not impossible it has been affected by feral genetics

although Meitei growers will cut down ruderal Cannabis anywhere they see it around Imphal Valley, up in the mountains the Nagas and other farmers are not so careful, so there can be weedy pollen about

also, purple coloration may be cold-related, but isn't necessarily

in Manipuri fields I saw fully purple variants, fully green variants, and in-between that are plants that showed some purple coloration

other thing to note:

Based on reports from a grower in Spain, the earlier Manipuri plants were better than the late ones... in other words, earliness doesn't necessarily mean feral influence, and lateness doesn't necessarily mean potent

meizzwang

nice looking resin - are these post-rain?

few things:

worth smoking it before concluding it's definitely feral, as it may be very strong, so the straggliness is morphological rather than genetic per se - large bracts are a domesticated trait, for example

that said, it's not impossible it has been affected by feral genetics

although Meitei growers will cut down ruderal Cannabis anywhere they see it around Imphal Valley, up in the mountains the Nagas and other farmers are not so careful, so there can be weedy pollen about

also, purple coloration may be cold-related, but isn't necessarily

in Manipuri fields I saw fully purple variants, fully green variants, and in-between that are plants that showed some purple coloration

other thing to note:

Based on reports from a grower in Spain, the earlier Manipuri plants were better than the late ones... in other words, earliness doesn't necessarily mean feral influence, and lateness doesn't necessarily mean potent

By feral, I’m only speaking of the plant from a physical appearance perspective. The nanda Devi plant I have displays relatively large bracts as well, but it is unquestionably feral in appearance:the buds are only 2 bracts thick! Seeds are also somewhat small.

So far, This early Manipuri individual smells stronger than the early mother plant it came from, it will no doubt have great flavor. I chose to breed with this feral individual over all the other domesticated appearing individuals. I think this feral phenotype in my Manipuri line is a recessive expression from historic crossing with “weedy” plants in previous generations. Both parents this plant came from looked domesticated.

Thanks for sharing your observations on the purple coloration, definitely very intriguing! It’s always cold here when Manipuri is flowering, so such info is very valuable. Ukhrul plants under identical conditions are showing zero purple colors so far.

ngakpa

Veteran
The nanda Devi plant I have displays relatively large bracts as well, but it is unquestionably feral in appearance:the buds are only 2 bracts thick! Seeds are also somewhat small.

sure, ultimately Cannabis is a domesticate, even its feral forms

there aren't any truly wild plants

especially not in areas where cultivation has happened, recently or in the past

looking at the shade leaves on that Manipuri above, they look pretty big... large leaf size is another indication of being at the domesticated end of the spectrum, rather than feral

harvestreaper

Veteran
"also, purple coloration may be cold-related, but isn't necessarily"

had some purple show under led in warm temps from your manipuri the uhkrul alongside did not

nice looking resin

Angus may I ask the specific region in Spain?, in the Iberic peninsula there is a extremely wide spectrum of bioclimates scenarios. Thanks in advance

ngakpa

Veteran
Angus may I ask the specific region in Spain?, in the Iberic peninsula there is a extremely wide spectrum of bioclimates scenarios. Thanks in advance

hi - I don't know, though given all plants were in the same greenhouse, it's most likely the difference in quality was ultimately due to genetics

on the other hand of course, it's not impossible that late plants didn't perform as well because they finished maturing in the cold

but the grower's judgment was that the best earlier plants he had were objectively better by a long way than any of the late ones

meizzwang

I don't doubt there are manipuri individuals in the population that require zero cold temps. to turn purple, but I do think the cold helps intensify the anthocyanin production in some clones that would otherwise be not so purple. I've seen this with Tashkurgan: one individual colored up only when it got cold, but another individual was purple starting at preflowering, long before the cold weather kicked in.

That said, the manipuri plants I have don't start to turn purple until the cold weather kicked in: could be a coincidence, but probably not. You can see this plant just starting to turn color here a week or two after being exposed to cool temperatures:
49096754541_199eef0a93_c.jpg

Check out the grease on this plant, just incredible:
49096244793_72b01e0528_c.jpg

Less domesticated appearance: only one out of around 15 plants looked like this:
49096245373_6a46de20f7_c.jpg

really beautiful:
49096277578_8a0bd40db3_c.jpg

An individual with a more domesticated look:
49096254238_50e595db5e_c.jpg

W

Water-

five years after starting this thread Iam finally getting a chance to start these seeds!!

very much looking forward to seeing what happens.

T

TakenByTheSky

I just got a pack of these for freebies, very much appreciated I'll be working these in on my short list.

T

TakenByTheSky

I don't doubt there are manipuri individuals in the population that require zero cold temps. to turn purple, but I do think the cold helps intensify the anthocyanin production in some clones that would otherwise be not so purple. I've seen this with Tashkurgan: one individual colored up only when it got cold, but another individual was purple starting at preflowering, long before the cold weather kicked in.

That said, the manipuri plants I have don't start to turn purple until the cold weather kicked in: could be a coincidence, but probably not. You can see this plant just starting to turn color here a week or two after being exposed to cool temperatures:
View Image

Check out the grease on this plant, just incredible:
View Image

Less domesticated appearance: only one out of around 15 plants looked like this:
View Image

really beautiful:
View Image

An individual with a more domesticated look:
View Image

Cool plant, it looks very much like the Pearl pheno of Dr grinspoon

ngakpa

Veteran
5 days and so far 0/10 germination

All the feedback I'm getting of the 2019 harvest stock is of 100% germination.

That's how the 2015 accession tested in 2015 too.

Usually I'd say PM me. But given how you've behaved to me and others on this forum, that's not an option.

In all honesty, based on your behaviour on here over the years, I don't think you should even be smoking, so maybe it's for the best.