Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Concentrates > Magnetic Hotplate Stirrer

Thread Title Search
Magnetic Hotplate Stirrer Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-03-2019, 06:19 PM #1
mrlucky405

mrlucky405 is on a distinguished road
Magnetic Hotplate Stirrer

Greetings all. Thank you in advance...

I've been making small batch (8-12ml) vape fluid by hand for awhile, but would like to make larger amounts (say 40-50ml) in a less hands on way. Is anyone here using a magnetic hotplate stirrer? If so, what has your experience been? Is it an effective tool? Any advice on equipment or process would be greatly appreciated!
mrlucky405 is offline Quote

Old 01-05-2019, 02:45 PM #2
Gray Wolf
A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.

Gray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant future
We love our CAT MCS-66, which works well for the purpose.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160303...hotplate-test/

Believing is seeing and ignorance is bliss until it bites you in the ass!

Fervor is the weapon of the impotent. The harder the sell, the poorer the product.

Alas, my ignorance abounds; the more I've learned, the less I know that I know..........

Thou shalt seek and respect the opinions of operators, even unto the third helper, for theirs is a wisdom unknown to technicrats.

Wise men learn more from fools, than fools from wise men.

In my dotage I finally discovered that the secret to putting on pants both legs at a time is sitting down.
Gray Wolf is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:34 PM #3
watts
ohms

watts has much to be proud ofwatts has much to be proud ofwatts has much to be proud ofwatts has much to be proud ofwatts has much to be proud ofwatts has much to be proud ofwatts has much to be proud ofwatts has much to be proud ofwatts has much to be proud ofwatts has much to be proud ofwatts has much to be proud of
I bet so for over $1,000
watts is online now Quote

Old 01-05-2019, 10:56 PM #4
f-e

f-e is just really nicef-e is just really nicef-e is just really nicef-e is just really nicef-e is just really nicef-e is just really nicef-e is just really nicef-e is just really nicef-e is just really nicef-e is just really nicef-e is just really nice
Milk frother/coffee whisk?
Be easy to support with some helping hands. Or lab stands that hold flasks, but soon as you talk lab, it's money.

Used magnetic stirrers can be $50 items. It's not worth making your own. Though it's only a couple of bar magnets

edit: Oh, hotplate. Bain Marie.
f-e is offline Quote

Old 01-06-2019, 10:19 PM #5
mrlucky405

Thanks for the info everyone. Appreciate the time. I have been looking at reviews etc and am considering the Scilogex MS-H280 Pro.

Is everyone heating their concentrates to a liquid first, then adding dilute/terps? Is it too viscous to run the stir bar undiluted? Doing it by hand, I've been heating the dilute and adding the concentrate a little at a time, stirring as it melts into the liquid...

Old 01-07-2019, 12:27 AM #6
Gry
One Nation Underground

Gry is a survivorGry is a survivorGry is a survivorGry is a survivorGry is a survivorGry is a survivorGry is a survivorGry is a survivorGry is a survivorGry is a survivorGry is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by watts View Post
I bet so for over $1,000

At that kind price I would wonder if shaken might be preferred over stirred.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:59 AM #7
Defacto

Defacto is a jewel in the roughDefacto is a jewel in the roughDefacto is a jewel in the roughDefacto is a jewel in the roughDefacto is a jewel in the roughDefacto is a jewel in the rough
lol nice one Gry

I recommend buying stuff like that from university surplus.
Defacto is offline Quote

Old 01-07-2019, 02:31 PM #8
Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant future
Our old Thermolyne Cimarec 2 still does a good job as well and they can be found cheap used.

We got the job done with the Thermolyne, and simply like the CAT's newer design, with dead nuts digital temperature controls and a stronger stirring drive best.

If you have an accurate thermometer to keep track of the temperature, you can continue to tweak the Thermolyne temperature controls yourself, and the magnetic drive is strong enough for your purposes.

Check out E-Bay for used ones like this one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Thermolyne-...s3~:rk:19:pf:0

Fervor is the weapon of the impotent. The harder the sell, the poorer the product.

Alas, my ignorance abounds; the more I've learned, the less I know that I know..........

Thou shalt seek and respect the opinions of operators, even unto the third helper, for theirs is a wisdom unknown to technicrats.

In my dotage I finally discovered that the secret to putting on pants both legs at a time is sitting down.

Old 01-07-2019, 02:45 PM #9
Gray Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by watts View Post
I bet so for over $1,000

Alas, it is still possible for us old war horses to get spoiled by new technology.

I gasped at the CAT price as well, but as a measure of fondness, all three of us Skunk Pharmers figured out how buy one after testing the one in my article.

Another handy CAT offering that aids in mixing, is their X-120 Homogenizer, for blending things that don't easily mix.

https://web.archive.org/web/20150709...ho-for-e-juice

Old 01-07-2019, 10:25 PM #10
mrlucky405

Is everyone heating their concentrates to a liquid first, then adding dilute/terps? Is it too viscous to run the stir bar undiluted? Doing it by hand, I've been heating the dilute and adding the concentrate a little at a time, stirring as it melts into the liquid...