What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

bobblehead's organic bedroom of high brix gardening

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
:good: Nice to see you doing well and having fun whilst at it mate :gday:
Pulling up a chair for the rest of the organic goodness show :D
:plant grow:

InjectTruth

I have to clean this up a bit, but here's the a/c condensate feeding the fogger and the Marey CO2 genny. I also use the water to feed my plants. gettogro recently had a problem fogging with this water, so I don't recommend everyone use it. My room is loaded full of beneficial bacteria as it is... So I'm not concerned.
View Image

1 5 disc fogger gets the whole room up to where I need it to be. I was surprised. It helps that I have 3 4'x8' living breathing beds in the room.
View Image

Can you hip me to this fogger biz? is it some type of organic co2 genny? The way you worded it, with the living breathing beds bit, this is my guess. Otherwise, Im having trouble figuring out what its for. Foliar application? (no, thats the atomizers job) Humidification? (no, why run dehuey if humidity needed)

You sure have gone organic in a big way! Make sure you get some of that Bocking 14 Russian Comfrey planted ;)

bobblehead

Veteran
Nice to see you doing well and having fun whilst at it mate
Pulling up a chair for the rest of the organic goodness show :D
:plant grow:

You bring up a good point b00m, I was burnt out and growing wasn't fun anymore. It was becoming a j-o-b. I feel good about what I'm doing again! Enjoying it. Learning from it. Growing isn't just about cultivating plants. We need to grow as people as well!

Hi, bobblehead.

Nice work.

Best,
/SRGB/

Thanks for popping in SRGB! Don't be a stranger. I'm sure you can write a page or two about organics. :) Always a pleasure.

Can you hip me to this fogger biz? is it some type of organic co2 genny? The way you worded it, with the living breathing beds bit, this is my guess. Otherwise, Im having trouble figuring out what its for. Foliar application? (no, thats the atomizers job) Humidification? (no, why run dehuey if humidity needed)

You sure have gone organic in a big way! Make sure you get some of that Bocking 14 Russian Comfrey planted ;)

lol stop thinking so hard. The fogger puts moisture into the air. I could also use it for foliar feeding if I was to put it in nutrient solution. I'm only using it for humidification. When you're burning 6-7kw in light and a big a/c to cool it all, the humidity drops. Gotta put moisture back in the air to keep the stomata open. At night when the lights turn off and the plants are releasing CO2 and water vapor back into the air, the humidity rises. Then I need the dehumidifier. Me entiendes?

silver hawaiian

Veteran
bobble

Speaking of the atomizer, some food for thought - I wonder if the droplets produced/put out by the atomizer are large enough to preserve & protect the bacteria in their journey out of the vessel and onto your plants. That is, there is such a thing as "too small" a mist produced by a sprayer, in re: foliar feeding with compost tea.

(I don't recall enough about the details to know if the atomizer is sufficient or not - just thought I'd mention that it's worth consideration)

bobblehead

Veteran
bobble

Speaking of the atomizer, some food for thought - I wonder if the droplets produced/put out by the atomizer are large enough to preserve & protect the bacteria in their journey out of the vessel and onto your plants. That is, there is such a thing as "too small" a mist produced by a sprayer, in re: foliar feeding with compost tea.

(I don't recall enough about the details to know if the atomizer is sufficient or not - just thought I'd mention that it's worth consideration)

Pipe down over there. Just who do you think you are?

I spray on the largest micron setting. I'm confident the bacteria are making the trip. Just to be sure though... One day down the road I'm going to apply some of my lab work to my grow. I'm going to do some colony counts off my leaf tissue. I want to determine what sprays are harming the bacteria and which are benefiting them. Some sprays like CaCl2 can clearly help the plant, but there is speculation among scientists that it hinders microbial growth. None of the research I've read has any quantitative research to confirm this. So, I'll do my own. Its not particularly expensive to get some agar and petri dishes,

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Nice - and I didn't mean to knock the atomizer itself, but was just wondering out aloud. I don't have a need for anything with that much horsepower, so I'm not familiar with anything about it. :)

I've wondered the same about a plain old spray bottle, in terms of "is it sufficient?" ..but never took the time to dig too much deeper, the few times it crossed my mind. :joint:

high life 45

Seen your Member?
Veteran
The bees comment wasn't so much about indoor cannabis as the ag industry as a whole, which primarily relies on synthetic ferts. Cheaper isn't better especially when it comes to what we put in our bodies... So yes, BRIX is a lifestyle choice. It goes well with bodybuilding. I haven't given up HFCS, but you won't find it in my house. I normally drink water or tea. Sometimes I have diet soda. I haven't bought veggies all summer, and I have about a 2-3 month supply in the freezer. The tomato plants are really producing now, so its tomatoes with everything! Lol. Next year I'm going big and I'll grow enough high brix produce to last the year. The next step is to move away from store bought chicken... I want to get some venison in the freezer. Salmon would be nice too, but its a little late in the year now. Itchybod says I should raise my own chickens. I just don't have the property for that right now.

:woohoo:NOW THATS WHATS UP!! Time for some bloody marys...

Kids will be kids... They don't need me to help them make bad decisions. :)

OK SRGB I see whos playing favorites... JK:biggrin:....

I gotta admit my lifes a bit happier knowing that I have a fresh new bobbleheadthread to check out, learn from and for generally harmless ball busting.. lets see you crush your personal bests

high life 45

Seen your Member?
Veteran
I know that microbeman has done some research on atomizers and their effect on bacterias and fungal hyphae..IIRC hand pump type sprayers did the least amount of damage..

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I called Bobble earlier and told him I could get 50 pounds of humic acid for 23 dollars. Boy was he thinking he got ripped off at the hydro store. Haha. I guess it pays to live in a yuppy town.

silver hawaiian

Veteran
I know that microbeman has done some research on atomizers and their effect on bacterias and fungal hyphae..IIRC hand pump type sprayers did the least amount of damage..

That's what I thought I took away from it also, but it felt a bit odd, so I wasn't terribly sure.

Hey hl - pipe down ;)

Edit: Now that I don't have an armful of baby, thought I'd expand..

Like I said, I have zero experience with atomizers, so I don't have any reference for how large or small they can produce vapor/droplets. But, back to MMs observations, I thought I remembered reading that and thinking, "Wow, I guess my small-time/cheap solution is adequate, eh?"

I suppose there are qualifying, erm, droplet sizes, that we're looking for, .. Though I don't know how one would quantify that setting, at least on the end of a spray nozzle. :) In my mind, there is a continuum of settings on those things, ranging from "Damn near closed," to "wide open."

:)

Last edited:

bobblehead

Veteran
I knew the shit talkers would find their way over eventually... Start a ruckus...

I believe the issue with the atomizer is the jet engine denaturing proteins and chopping up the bacteria. I would suggest that the atomizer has better coverage, but better coverage isn't necessary when the plant has the ability to translocate nutrients applied via foliar sprays within hours.

lol...

If anyone is interested in more details about refractometers and the benefits of high brix gardening, you should watch this video. I can't embed a video for the life of me, but I'm going to try. It won't work, so I'll provide the link to the page hosting the video. I found it very informative.

http://vimeo.com/6689994

NICE one,with the oragnic beds,im gonna soon be rockin some outside for my veggies,BRIX is realy intersting stuff,we should all be eating brix food,instead our bodies spend more energy breaking down the veggies we eat that hold little nutritional value to start with,so were basically starving ourselves with PRETTY looking vegetables!

have you done readings lately?,com'n this stuffs exciting ,show us if the foliars are working ,levels before and after sprays?:biggrin:

nice!!!

silver hawaiian

Veteran
I knew the shit talkers would find their way over eventually... Start a ruckus...

I believe the issue with the atomizer is the jet engine denaturing proteins and chopping up the bacteria. I would suggest that the atomizer has better coverage, but better coverage isn't necessary when the plant has the ability to translocate nutrients applied via foliar sprays within hours.

:laughing:

I hope by "ruckus" you meant "stimulating conversation." ;)

That's a great thought about the engine in the atomizer being the culprit. My [layman's] interpretation of the issue hl brought up (as MM addressed it) was simply the hole through which the water is forced to create the mist -- is it big enough to allow the bacteria/spores to exit the vessel in-tact?

I hadn't thought about, in your case, the actual propellant/propelling doodad doing the harm. Do you think you'd be better off using a hand pump device for your compost foliars, vs. the atomizer? (You kind of lost me a little in your tradeoff scenario with the atomizer & the translocation. Even if the plant can translocate the goodness from the foliar spray, if what hits the leaves is less effective than had it been sprayed through a larger hole, what good is the translocation of the goodness if the goodness is, erm, weakened?)

:blowbubbles: Thanks bobble, for going organic! Now we get the benefit of your brain on this topic, without some of the snark and condescension found in some of the other organic education/concept/theory/discussion threads. :thank you:

bobblehead

Veteran
Animals in the wild will stop eating when they're full. They eat an organic diet. Wild animals near the city have access to processed food, and the study I read said that wild animals in an urban environment had a higher BMI. The same thing applies to humans. Feed them an organic diet, and they will eat less. Feed them chips and hamburgers lacking in nutrition, and they will keep on eating. Hunger isn't satisfied by food, hunger is satisfied by nutrition. Vegetables grown with synthetic nutes are significantly less nutritous than organic veggies... So even if you eat well, you could be eating better!

I don't have any brix readings to share right this moment. I only foliar when my plants are in good condition, and they were looking a little rough for a couple weeks. I will start foliar sprays again soon, and share my before and after readings. During lights on, brix can increase dramatically. Its very important to take reading around the same time of day, same temps, etc... This stuff really needs to be charted to spot the trends... But an increase of 2-3 brix points from one day to the next, taken at the same time, is good. If the brix stays the same or even drops, the spray was ineffective.

bobblehead

Veteran
:laughing:

I hope by "ruckus" you meant "stimulating conversation." ;)

That's a great thought about the engine in the atomizer being the culprit. My [layman's] interpretation of the issue hl brought up (as MM addressed it) was simply the hole through which the water is forced to create the mist -- is it big enough to allow the bacteria/spores to exit the vessel in-tact?

I hadn't thought about, in your case, the actual propellant/propelling doodad doing the harm. Do you think you'd be better off using a hand pump device for your compost foliars, vs. the atomizer? (You kind of lost me a little in your tradeoff scenario with the atomizer & the translocation. Even if the plant can translocate the goodness from the foliar spray, if what hits the leaves is less effective than had it been sprayed through a larger hole, what good is the translocation of the goodness if the goodness is, erm, weakened?)

:blowbubbles: Thanks bobble, for going organic! Now we get the benefit of your brain on this topic, without some of the snark and condescension found in some of the other organic education/concept/theory/discussion threads. :thank you:

I have speculation about the droplet size inhibiting the bacteria to exit the sprayer. Bacteria are tiny. Fungi on the other hand are bigger. The mist on a hand pump can be made fine or large, the same as the atomizer. The pump is the culprit imo. With a hand pump sprayer, you may not get the coverage of the atomizer, but that doesn't matter b/c of the translocation. So, I may use a hand pump spray for my bacteria teas... And continue using the atomizer for other things like CaCl2 + triacontanol. Of course chopped up bacteria are just a food source for the plant... And as long as some of the bacteria make it, they will begin to reproduce exponentially... So maybe I won't change a thing. I really need to get some nutrient agar and culture some bacteria to know.

Animals in the wild will stop eating when they're full. They eat an organic diet. Wild animals near the city have access to processed food, and the study I read said that wild animals in an urban environment had a higher BMI. The same thing applies to humans. Feed them an organic diet, and they will eat less. Feed them chips and hamburgers lacking in nutrition, and they will keep on eating. Hunger isn't satisfied by food, hunger is satisfied by nutrition. Vegetables grown with synthetic nutes are significantly less nutritous than organic veggies... So even if you eat well, you could be eating better!

I don't have any brix readings to share right this moment. I only foliar when my plants are in good condition, and they were looking a little rough for a couple weeks. I will start foliar sprays again soon, and share my before and after readings. During lights on, brix can increase dramatically. Its very important to take reading around the same time of day, same temps, etc... This stuff really needs to be charted to spot the trends... But an increase of 2-3 brix points from one day to the next, taken at the same time, is good. If the brix stays the same or even drops, the spray was ineffective.

lookn forward to learnin some stuff,sounds like stability,and health are the key,'since u in the whole organic thing at the moment ,im sure you've read all the HYPE on GLOMALIN!,and increasing it!,as well as the relationship with myco,i read increased co2 levels from 340ppm to the 600 mark,increased the hyphae length almost 10 fold,thats a whole lot more access to minerals,water,nutes in the soil, also good gardening practices can do the same thing ,'no till' and so on....Glomalin stores 4 times more carbon than humic acid ,and it lasts for something crazy like 42 years in the soil.'gotta google 'glomalin'.

O

OrganicOzarks

Nice seeing some biological growing going on. I do believe the atomizer chops up the microbes. I don't use an atomizer, but it would be easy to check under scope. I have always, and will always use a standard sprayer.

I also foliar feed more than the typical guy. I foliar feed compost tea twice per week through the entire run, except for the last week. The last week I don;t foliar anything.

silver hawaiian

Veteran
:good:

Could you share some of your foliar recipes w us? :)

Edit: That was intended for bobble, but OrganicOzarks, I'd love to hear some of your recipes as well. :thank you:

Latest posts

Latest posts