What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Short term trades in the stock market •$$$$$•

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
Hey TNT, thats what I use. Google finance. I think its pretty good for looking at charts and recent news for an individual stock.

However I don't like they way the transaction section is set up. You have to manually type in your buy/sell/date/shares/commission, how lame. If your just paper trading, who cares how many shares or what the commissions are? Percent gain and loss is all that matters to me, and if commissions change you percentages that much, you shouldn't be trading anyways.

M

Mountain

Why is the 50 day MA a choice that one is making?

(When people say "Get out"...it might mean,,get in..lol )
Well...look at a chart of GLD using a 50 simple MA and how does the ETF respond to it? The ETF made the choice that it was important (actually the traders buying/selling the issue).

I did not say get out nor did I see anyone else say get out.

Either you're in....or Out.
I said I was out meaning I was not interested in participating nor was I recommending others jump in where it is at. You can do what you want as can others. I expect it to move closer to 136 and would be inclined to take profits if I was still long or possibly short when it got there.

M

Mountain

and if commissions change you percentages that much, you shouldn't be trading anyways.
...or the positions you're taking are too small...which probably means you don't have enough money...which means you shouldn't be trading anyway...lol!

Madrus Rose

post 69
Veteran
Just wanted to come back and say Madrus is right on this and the first thing that catches your eye then the resistance at 136 then the bottom trend line running mostly up with the 50 MA.

You see how clear that is ?

In conjunction with other indicators esp RSI , love to look for & always anticipate these pivots for double-tops in an up market & double bottoms in a down trend ....given the wider market these
usually show up often . There's chart after chart that show this to be true where big money is telling themselves proper valuations have been met or bottoms have been put in .

SELFHEMPLOYED

सदस्य
Veteran
Damn. This is a foreign language to me. I wish it wasn't so. Maybe I should be studying something different.

My boy keeps pushing me to buy as much silver as I can, he is a "self taught" finance guy, and one of those guys you can never win an argument with.

What's a good starting place to learn about this? Incredibly interesting. Nothing better than letting your money work for you.

Big Respect to you guys, I'm having a vision of me ten years from now surrounded by 26" led computer monitors in my spare bedroom, in my boxers. All day. Everyday.

M

Mountain

You see how clear that is ?
I really like to keep things simple. I mean when I first see a chart I notice what patterns my eye catches first using only MA's and up/down volume to start (expanding and contracting time frames) then if interesting dig in further using other indicators to time possible entries/exits better.

zenoonez

Veteran
Jumped into AXK at 2.47 today after watching it gain momentum. Rode it too long and got out at 2.84 on the downside and watched it trickle down the rest of the day till close.

TNTBudSticker

Veteran
Damn. This is a foreign language to me. I wish it wasn't so. Maybe I should be studying something different.
My boy keeps pushing me to buy as much silver as I can, he is a "self taught" finance guy, and one of those guys you can never win an argument with.
What's a good starting place to learn about this? Incredibly interesting. Nothing better than letting your money work for you.

Big Respect to you guys, I'm having a vision of me ten years from now surrounded by 26" led computer monitors in my spare bedroom, in my boxers. All day. Everyday.

Google again..lol Get to the finance page and type in Silver...Six stock tickers come up,type it in slowly and watch the page for the drop-down box.Some will be ETF's and Stocks.For more in depth and stock picks I would go to the Barchart.com and type in the ticker say SLV and you can find the sectors its in. This is the sector http://barchart.com/stocks/sectors/-EPMT

I was in Gold for the last 3 years and gave me incredible gains.Of Course,paper trading learning.Now Back to the subject of silver.Seems Silver may outperform What ever it was holding to Gold for the last 10-15 years.And doing $7.00 Jumps in a day like with AGQ-ProShares Ultra Silver.InStead of talking about GLD.We could be talking about AGQ because seems more folks are being driven into Silver and a few into Gold.Ebb and Flow.

In the Barchart...Sometimes I go after the highs and go with the ride.Some folks are afraid to buy a stock that too high.Or the 100% buys for the last 4 weeks.It's pretty fun.:wave:

Last edited:

SELFHEMPLOYED

सदस्य
Veteran
Hey thanks for the reply. Do any of you guys recommend doing the simulated stock trading. That may not be what it is called but I remember somebody telling me it's a great safe way to learn.

Also what do ya'll think of Jonathan Lebed? Don't know the whole story but what i got from my buddy was he manipulated the market somehow and got screwed. Apparently his picks make quite a bit of money? Ay experiences?

Sorry if sounding like a noob, definitely am, but soundly interested.

TNTBudSticker

Veteran
This is a good website for stock trading with some cash if you win for the week.

http://www.stockgame.stockpickr.com/

Never heard of Jonathan Lebed..if he did something wrong..steer clear and focus. lol

(I'll look him up and see what the heck he did)

We had the Madoff situation in usa and nothing is pretty worse than that.You think if someone had 1 or 2 million dollars and thought about their cash and making it work for them and moving the cash around every month..you wouldn't need Bernie Madoff.

60 billion Dollars worth of cash and over 2000 folks didn't study simple basic rules of investing.If you don't have a job (and rich)...what the hell you're doing all day?

But remember..Go where the money's going...Follow it with the Mass.Throw the money in the tide and get some clams back ;-)

I remember the Hunt Brothers who tried to corner the silver market and by buying all the silver in the world and hyping the prices...they got caught and had to give all back their gains soon as the S.E.C found out. Really..no shortcuts in the market but time.And money...yea

SELFHEMPLOYED

सदस्य
Veteran
http://www.lebed.biz/

That's the guys website. Def not into scamming, Madoff deserves to rot.

Thanks for taking the time man, sounds like super solid info.

I'll definitely be looking into this more and more

Madrus Rose

post 69
Veteran
Hey thanks for the reply. Do any of you guys recommend doing the simulated stock trading. That may not be what it is called but I remember somebody telling me it's a great safe way to learn.

Also what do ya'll think of Jonathan Lebed? Don't know the whole story but what i got from my buddy was he manipulated the market somehow and got screwed. Apparently his picks make quite a bit of money? Any experiences?

Sorry if sounding like a noob, definitely am, but soundly interested.

Hey Hempy , i'd buy stock in you ! ;)

Just think of the market, as just that... a market .

Seems intimidating but really is just buying & selling shares in public companies that range thru the whole network & family of sectors that make up all the services , goods & comodities that have demand in world we live in. It's good right from the start to see the market divided up into "sectors" & everything is out there... from clothing & retail , oil & gas , precious metals & metals, oranges to pork bellies ,right down to toilet paper . But there's a huge range of publicly traded stocks that fall into categories & sub categories & up to you to find those areas to become interested in .

GOLD Stocks

Always best to study the major players in any sector/field first see what there business is about , what the reports are & the outlook for profitability in the future . Going to be a good year or bad year for gold stocks for instance after this last run up ?

To play gold you could just buy some or if you wanted to play gold you could buy shares in a gold mine like these majors players
Barrick Gold (ABX) http://www.barrick.com/
Goldcorp Inc (GG)
Newmont Mining (NEM)

Or another way you could look in on & follow the companies that make the mining & excavation equipment like these major players (which also supply equipment for mining fertilizer salts too .)
CAT (Caterpillar)
JOYG (Joy Global)
TEX(Terex) .

(Remembering more factors can affect the price of a gold mining stock than just the price of gold. Gold stocks can move with the overall market. If the stock market is trending lower, gold stocks could still be under pressure even if the price of gold is moving higher.)

SOLAR stocks

If you are interested lets say in Solar Stocks then you could google "solar stocks" & get the list of players from a site like this
http://www.tickerspy.com/index/Solar-Stocks that list a whole portfolio of them with their 52week hi's & lows & overall change for the year up or down . Stick to studying identifying the major players like FSLR (First Solar) by looking at their "market caps" , look up news for them & visit their webpage & look into them ...study the sector :
http://www.firstsolar.com/en/index.php

Looking at market by Sectors

Have always thought that looking at the market as sectors & getting familiar with those sectors & then follow & study . So much is interelated but all boils down to the collection of goods & services & technologies we all use day to day . Here's a basic look at the sectors which is a good place to start,
http://www.stock-market-investors.c...sics/stock-market-sectors-classification.html
just remember that any sector like Technology can be broken down into many sub sectors like the computer makers & software vendors .... down to various micro chip companies that make the chips , the wireless components , the screens, touchpads , & all that goes into a PC, Smartphone , iphone, ipad . There's just tons of companies out there in just one sector group that all are effected by each other & being cyclical in nature go up & down according to the economic climate & mood buying power/demand of the consumerr.

Get to know companies by their "ticker symbol" so you can look up . If 4 letters than its found on the Nasdaq Market or $COMPX . Apple Corp for instance has the ticker AAPL just type in that in the left hand box ...or Google is "GOOG" .
http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=$COMPQ&p=D&b=5&g=0&id=p37712746800

And many of the older established stocks with 1,2 or three letters in their ticker symbol are found traded on the other NYSE which we gauge by the Dow Jones Industrial or $INDU ( and the S&P which has ticker symbol $SPX)
http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=$INDU&p=D&b=5&g=0&id=p72384172092

M

Mountain

I was in Gold for the last 3 years and gave me incredible gains. Of course, paper trading learning.
Have you ever bought anything?

EFT's like you mentioned are a great way to leverage potential gains in a commodity like silver but your losses will add up fast also. I've looked at those for things like Ultra Bear or Bull market indexes and for sure you can do great...or get your head handed to you on a platter. If you really want to try and leverage a position buy AGQ options...LOL! I took a quick look and while AGQ was up 10.88, or 6.63%, the February 160 calls were up like 5 from 1 so a 400% gain with the same move.

If some of you guys ever want to play oil as a commodity without getting into futures and stuff USO is a decent ETF or guess UCO if you want a leveraged EFT like AGQ. EFT's like this double any move...make or lose money even faster!

Barrick Gold (ABX) http://www.barrick.com/
Goldcorp Inc (GG)
Newmont Mining (NEM)
I've kind of kept an eye on IAG...seems to be one of the better gold issues. I dunno...I like the idea of a gold stock instead of the metal itself. For some reason can't get my head around trading/investing in commodities and easier for me to understand the dynamics of a company then add in the gold factor easier.

Madrus - nice angle by playing the equipment folks that service the miners. JOYG, and also equipment companies like CAT, DE and TSCO, have done well. I don't think DE or TSCO have any exposure to the mining industry though.

M

Mountain

I'm having a vision of me ten years from now surrounded by 26" led computer monitors in my spare bedroom, in my boxers. All day. Everyday.
You can make it as simple or complicated as you want. It can take up your life or be a small part of it and neither way is a guarantee of success or failure.

For me following Investors Business Daily for investing and not trading is a safe way to go and if you follow how they do things over time you'll do just fine. Wealth is almost always accumulated and not made overnight...that's very rare.

The great thing about investing/trading is the market is so vast you can develop a system/method to suit your personality, lifestyle and budget. Obviously it has a learning curve like growing but at some point you get comfortable and more in cruise mode.

Madrus Rose

post 69
Veteran

That's the guys website. Def not into scamming, Madoff deserves to rot. Thanks for taking the time man, sounds like super solid info. I'll definitely be looking into this more and more

You could follow some of Ledbeds little stock picks , most of them seem to be on the TSX (toronto exchange ) and Canadians are wild pump & dumpers when it comes to penny stocks . He's claiming his Garibaldi Resources Corp (GGI.V) is one of his most important alerts ever! Back on dec 11th when it popped up on some news

Here's the company website with lots of claims of using high tech exploration many underexplored mining districts in Mexico claiming they are using the new satellite imaging platform called the : "Advanced Space borne Thermal Emission and Reflection Radiometer" (ASTER)....and fixed wing hyperspectral survey of its properties. Sounds like they're a long long ways from ever getting any gold or silver out of these areas
http://www.garibaldiresources.com/s/Investors.asp

The chart GGI.V something pumped it up right around the time he was pumping it ...but these are speculative start-up mining & resource developement companies that have long history of scamming investors . No harm in following along but don't get to caught up or invest money , just do research & learn .
http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=GGI.V&p=D&b=5&g=0&id=p64019510879

Just note that these are more likely pump & dumps as most every stock he's mentioning in his alert section has the legal note below ...he's getting paid to promote these babies !

"My firm Lebed Biz LLC was compensated by a third-party (B&D Capital Partners) $20,000 cash for a one-month GPR investor relations contract which has since expired. We could potentially be compensated more for providing investor relations services regarding GPR in the future, although no agreements have been made at this time." [/i]

M

Mountain

most of them seem to be on the TSX (toronto exchange)
I'd stay away from anything that is not listed on the NYSE, NASDAQ or AMEX and also anything that is not marginable is questionable.

One resource I haven't seen you guys mention is Motley Fool. More for the investor mindset but even when I'm trading I like to know more about the company, sector it's in, how it stacks up against other companies, etc. Their CAPS rating system is interesting and like it's a cumulative rating based on members. Nice when they feature analysis from highly rated members with a proven track record. They provide some pretty interesting insight at times. I can't believe they have CSCO rated at 4 stars though...lol! CSCO may very well be looking at layoffs and downsizing a bit. It seems the CAPS rating system lags actual short term stock performance though and does not adjust fast enough...these guys seem mainly to be investors and not traders so could understand that one.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Anyone hear about Europe's acute liquidity crisis? Borrowing on the ECB's Marginal Lending Facility has exploded for two days now. The MSM isn't talking about it yet, but some media outlets are calling it another "fat finger". :biglaugh: Looks like some major institution is in it's death throws.
MLF%202.18.jpg

The one thing that nobody is conveniently talking about that has suddenly become a big flash red light, the surge in borrowing on the ECB's Marginal Lending Facility which we noted yesterday, continues for the second day in a row, removing all speculation of this being a technical or calendar glitch, and confirming that some financial entity in Europe has entered its death rattle. Today, the ECB announced that after borrowing €15.8 billion in overnight liquidity, the highest since the program's inception in 2009, we got another increase in borrowing, this time at €16 billion in overnight liquidity needs. With expectations that this borrowing surge at a last resort rate of 1.25% would normalize disappearing, we are surprised the reaction in the EUR is not far greater: the EURUSD did contract modestly overnight, but if this is indeed the proverbial first domino we would be very concerned about the long term prospects of the European currency. What is most concerning is that after revelations of check kiting at Irish banks yesterday, which confirms that banks are using a legalized ponzi scheme to literally print each other money, that some bank - any bank - will need to resort to such a high rate source of overnight capital. As European collateral has no quality thresholds, and as the ECB will accept anything, it makes no sense for any bank to pay incremental interest just to transfer borrowing to an overnight facility with a punitive rate - simple as that. If this continues for a third day on Monday, it may well be time to follow Hugh Hendry's advice, and panic.
Maybe the fat finger will stop on Monday? :dunno:

M

Mountain

Maybe the fat finger will stop on Monday?
Interesting. Cool info and we'll see how this plays out, what entity is having issues and could rattle world markets a bit? At the least sounds like it might be an impetus for some profit taking. So is the play to short the market, go long gold or silver, short the Euro...???

TNTBudSticker

Veteran
I love Fridays like this... Monday is a holiday.Daytona 500 is Sunday.

MMG takes off...I got in at 1.09..sold some at 1.13 going to add more Again at 1.09..hopefully Tuesday is a good day.Since I still have half left over.Never went below 1.00 but 1.04 ..interesting stock for me that it finally correlates to the moves of gold now.

Silver is Blast'in! Gold is rebound Blast'in :dance013:

Interesting. So is the play to short the market, go long gold or silver, short the Euro...???

I'm staying on One side..Long that is.To go short adds more complexes to the equation.Or like what we all are doing or rumor has it...A bubble.When it bursts,,,,Then you go Short.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Interesting. Cool info and we'll see how this plays out, what entity is having issues and could rattle world markets a bit? At the least sounds like it might be an impetus for some profit taking. So is the play to short the market, go long gold or silver, short the Euro...???

No one knows who is actually causing the draw. The official line is it's some retard fat fingering billions instead of millions. Kind of like the Flash Crash was initially put off on a "fat finger" lol.

I'm not long on anything except physical silver at the moment. I believe there is still a lot of money to be made in the market as long as the Fed continues to print money and pump it up. If I was a real trader I'd be scared to go short. If I had balls I'd short the dollar. No one knows when the Ponzi will end just that it will end badly.

Latest posts

Latest posts