What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

AirPots vs regular cups/pots

Im currently using smart pots in my ebb & flo table (2gallon w 4in hydrostone + coco) which i get 15 to 20% more! Just ordered 2gallon air pots because sick of cleaning and buying the smart pots! Very excited to see the results first hand!! switching from the reg ebb & flo pots to the smart pot i was like wow! After reading this thread i just ordered 25 more!

billgee

Trotting Alongside

Trotting Alongside

:woohoo:
Ive been following your idea and thread for a long time. Ive read all your posts. Though I like the idea, I could never do it. But I finally got the girls (Barneys Farm - Little Cheese - Done it before) up and running. So at least I can run alongside. After a week doing their postures as seedlings, they are in their first day in their big (3 gal) Smart Pots and Vege nutrient regimen. No transplants.This is as close as I get to a a comparison. I grew 3 ladies 5 months ago in 3 gal soft sided Root Pots. I did very well with 2 of the 3. So now I can compare (vaguely) Soft sided to Airpots and the Cheese to each other. Everything else is the same. Ive got to survive on my memory. Im weeks or months behind but they are ruderalis-automatics. So Ill stay with you as I can. I try to take a picture a day. I post as I can
:thank you:

billgee

pics

pics

:peacock:
Still cant figure out Picasa
Heres the first 2 days of my airpot grows
Planted in airpot on the 8th day atner birth.
Pix 13-15th of july

:dance013:

Attachments

• DSCN4020.jpg
    DSCN4020.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCN4022.jpg
    DSCN4022.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCN4023.jpg
    DSCN4023.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCN4031.jpg
    DSCN4031.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCN4034.jpg
    DSCN4034.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCN4036.jpg
    DSCN4036.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCN4037.jpg
    DSCN4037.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 57

CannaVenture

ICMag Donor
Ive been wanting to try Air Pots for a while now... Ive been running Smart Pots (Drain to waste) for over a year, and I can say, They are Great.. Even with a small 1 gallon Smart Pot, You can grow pretty big plants.. Id say a 1 gallon Smart Pot is comparible to a 3 gallon Plastic Nursery Container....or close.

The 3 and 5 gallon Smart Pots are what I usually use... Nothing But Great Results.... I have heard Air Pots are even better than Smarts... Air Pots are Crazy expensive, but sound like they are worth it... I can say, that I have Not lost one single Smart Pot since i started using them...They are machine washable.

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
Highlighter, Ive always got long flowering sativas going, and I can tell you that larger pot sizes will give you healthier plants longer into flowering. Moisture stress will be a serious concern since the container size is small. Of course, I too am trying to squeeze in alot of plants in small containers, so it leaves us in a bit of a condundrum. If your very diligent in your watering, you can go with small containers, if not Id definitely go larger.

Also, I would definitely advise you to use blumats for those long flowering sativas. You'll regret it if you dont :biggrin:.

The really long legged sativas benefit mightily from a larger pot. You will see much better flower formations in larger pots.

You can take a little bit of both philosophies. If you keep the plants in smaller containers through most of the 12/12 growth spurt and then pot up, you can keep size somewhat in check and then give them lots of space to flower. The roots will continue to grow in a long flowering sativa and fill in your pots just fine.

I've used airpots and smart pots with good success. Good luck all.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
The really long legged sativas benefit mightily from a larger pot. You will see much better flower formations in larger pots.

You can take a little bit of both philosophies. If you keep the plants in smaller containers through most of the 12/12 growth spurt and then pot up, you can keep size somewhat in check and then give them lots of space to flower. The roots will continue to grow in a long flowering sativa and fill in your pots just fine.

I've used airpots and smart pots with good success. Good luck all.

Its funny you bring that up, because I have done the same exact thing once before with some MangoSkunkHaze. I had 11 females flowering in 2L containers. Around the 30-40 day mark, I transplanted one into a 3 gallon container, and left the rest alone. The one in the 3 gallon container stayed much healthier for far longer, and roots of course did expand into the new media.

It definitely works well for long flowering sativas like you said. Ive seen roots growing out of the bottom of fabric bags at day 80 when I was flowering Sams Haze x Skunk, so Im sure theres plenty of time for roots to colonize new soil if done right after the stretch.

billgee

2 airpots

2 airpots

2 (out of 3) Barneys Farm Little Cheese (Ruderalis) [Ive grown it twice before} 20 days old today - 4 days in Airpots. I intend to be here until the end and compare it to 2 grows in Smart Pots. (entirely subjective)

Canna Coco. Canna Nutes and Botanicare Cal-Mag. 400w HPS

:dance013:

billgee

oops

oops

Forgot the attachments

And
I increased their light (doubled) from 23w each to 2x23w or 46 watts each from daylite CFLs:laughing:

Attachments

• DSCN4050.jpg
    DSCN4050.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCN4049.jpg
    DSCN4049.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 53

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
Its funny you bring that up, because I have done the same exact thing once before with some MangoSkunkHaze. I had 11 females flowering in 2L containers. Around the 30-40 day mark, I transplanted one into a 3 gallon container, and left the rest alone. The one in the 3 gallon container stayed much healthier for far longer, and roots of course did expand into the new media.

It definitely works well for long flowering sativas like you said. Ive seen roots growing out of the bottom of fabric bags at day 80 when I was flowering Sams Haze x Skunk, so Im sure theres plenty of time for roots to colonize new soil if done right after the stretch.

Yes sir, a sativa going over 14 weeks does really well flowered for the first month in a smaller container. Up potted around that time and she should flower well. One additional note is that you want to keep nitrogen in the up pot soil, but at a moderate level. Some pure sats will start to stretch again if there's a heavy N dose.

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
im thinking of converting over to air pots. they look good. i dont see the point in smart pots though and why they would be any better than any normal pot.

billgee

I believe in Airpots-

I believe in Airpots-

I believe in these funny looking airpots. I been growing in various soft-sided pots and its gone well. Only the anally clean dont like soft sided pots for their inability to wash them. What are they cleaning them for anyway?

Here are my daily fotos. Im getting a little better at Pikasa.

They were placed in a paper towel on June 21. They spent the next 2 days wrangling themselves out of a coco chips and were born on June 25. The chips with the seedlings were placed in 16 oz cups of Coco on the 25th. On July 13th they were transplanted to these 3 Gal AirPots where they will spend the rest of their lives. I can still remember the last 3 plants of Barneys Farm Little Cheese. I dont expect much difference at first. The 3 gal pots contain Coco Coir. Nothing else. Attached are the first week of her new life in the final pot of her life. No transplanting. No root damage

Oops the system only allows a few photos. I will post them as it allows.
:bump:

billgee

fotos

fotos

Dont know where they went. Ill try again

Attachments

• 071312a.jpg
    071312a.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 53
  • 071312 (2).jpg
    071312 (2).jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 071312.jpg
    071312.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 071612 (2).jpg
    071612 (2).jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 071512.jpg
    071512.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 071412.jpg
    071412.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 071612.jpg
    071612.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 071712 (2).jpg
    071712 (2).jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 071712.jpg
    071712.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 57

chos3n

Bilgee why are they inside what looks like a plastic cup, then a small black pot, and then the air pot?

billgee

Old habits are hard to quit.
They are planted in a double 16 oz cup The inner cup is bottomless and filled with holes. I pull out the inner cup and plant it in the Center of the Netpot with the bottom cut out in the center of a softsided pot and now an airpot. I did it also to stretch the size of the pots by raising it up I get a 3 gal pot to think its a 5 gal pot for automatics with their big central root. And the transplant (only once) does not rip roots and the young seedling always feels like its not alone in the vast ocean of the 3 gal pot.

billgee

try again

try again

more fotos maybe

Attachments

• 072012.jpg
    072012.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 071912.jpg
    071912.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 072012 (2).jpg