What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best Thai lines and hybrids currently available?

rizraz

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ace seeds Golden Tiger Thai Dominate Version. Might be out of stock right this second but it'll be back soon. I'm not sure its the best "pure" thai but its heavily thai leaning and has a reason flowering time. I'm sure I can think of a couple of others but I can't right this second so I'll come back and post more.

Shameless copy and paste from Leafly
"Golden Tiger is a resinous flower created from two Thai strains and two separate Malawi cuts. Bred by Ace Seeds, this pure sativa flower is a complex blend of Koh Chang Thai and Hmong Thai crossed with Malawi and 3rd Generation Malawi. This powerful sativa is not for beginners, as it offers long-lasting stimulating effects often with a potent psychedelic bent. With a terpene profile that is bright with notes of floral spice and tart lemon, its vigorous physical and mental effects make this a sativa of the highest caliber. This strain’s long sativa lineage comes with a long 11 to 14 week flowering time."

T

TakenByTheSky

I would grab the RSC highland thai, RSC mango Thai, or khalifa genetics purple Laos Muang Sing. I can't describe anything about these, I have all 3 but haven't grown any yet but all 3 are the purest SE asian sativa's on the market. Khalifas have been worked a few generations to stabilize intersex traits and the original seeds were collect d by bodhi.

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would grab the RSC highland thai, RSC mango Thai, or khalifa genetics purple Laos Muang Sing. I can't describe anything about these, I have all 3 but haven't grown any yet but all 3 are the purest SE asian sativa's on the market. Khalifas have been worked a few generations to stabilize intersex traits and the original seeds were collect d by bodhi.

The Mango Thai I have been eyeing for few weeks now and will 1 million percent be purchased. I have so many great ideas for it.

Moxa stick

I have a number of Thai lines, but one I always go back to is The Flying Dutchman Thaitanic purchased in the late 90’s? I find the longer flowering 90-100 day phenos very dreamy and trippy that last for hours. I believe this was a Thai crossed with their Skunk #1 which resulted in a much shorter, faster hybrid. Not quite like the sticks we had back in the 70’s, but very good.

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have a number of Thai lines, but one I always go back to is The Flying Dutchman Thaitanic purchased in the late 90’s? I find the longer flowering 90-100 day phenos very dreamy and trippy that last for hours. I believe this was a Thai crossed with their Skunk #1 which resulted in a much shorter, faster hybrid. Not quite like the sticks we had back in the 70’s, but very good.

I have heard a lot of good things about Thaitanic but never a detailed smell description of various phenos. I am after terps. I expect a nice sativa high from most thais.

Hybrids do not bother me one bit. I want flavor and smell.

rizraz

ICMag Donor
Veteran
ThaiChi from Ace! I grew that strain years ago and it was stunning. Really powerful, great weirdo thai smells.

Other choices would be Khalifas, the stuff they're preserving over there is insane. Really nice to see people doing the hard work still.

Seedsman's Mama thai is a long standing respected thai that has been around forever.

Reeferman's Lemon Thai was really super lemon thai terps with a good sativa structure.

Finally The Landrace Team is also doing some amazing work on collecting wild landraces from all over. I'm sure these lines will require work but we need more growers working new genetics and not shuffling around the same old 25 strains into 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 poly hybrids X poly hybrids.

Hope that helps.

musigny23

Regarding Golden Tiger, I've grown a few plants of both the fem and reg seeds the past few seasons. I found the reg to be more Thai leaning than the fem. It also flowered for a few weeks longer than the fem version. It's a really great strain when grown successfully to full maturity. I planned to grow the Golden Tiger 3rd version this season but the Covid pandemic held up the seeds in the mail for 2 months and they arrived too late for this year.

I'm growing Thai Chi this season and also a Thai x Panama. Both for the first time so I don't know them well yet.

I'm also growing a version of Mango Thai from what RSC had in stock last November. Since then, they're offering a version that came from a different farmer. Last year I grew the repro they were selling in winter/spring 2019. It's fairly different from the later November 2019 version. I'm also growing the Khalifa Muang Sing Lao. I can tell you that the November 2019 RSC Mango Thai and the Khalifa Muang Sing Lao are the same strain. For sure. The difference is that the RSC was sourced directly in Laos and the Khalifa passed through some generations of reproduction and selection. How many I don't know, but most if not all the repro gens. were indoors. I'm finding the RSC seems a bit more stout and robust. The KG MS is a bit more sensitive and fragile. The RSC plants are all a darker shade of green compared to the KG MS in the same soil and conditions. Otherwise their overall looks, leaf shape, branching, structure and growth patterns are identical. I'm guessing the current Mango Thai being shipped from RSC is yet a bit different again from both my versions but I'm not sure as I haven't gotten any.

I'm growing the RSC Highland Lao (not Highland Lao #2) also. I think it is more representative of classic Isaan/Lao types from northeastern Thailand/southern Laos Mekong river valley. Definitely different from the MT/MS Lao described above. First time growing it so I can't report on the flowers, terpenes or effects. It does seem to have the potential to grow large tall plants.

I'm surprised to see no mention of Cannabiogen's Destroyer. A Thai type, (Meao Thai I think) bred with some Columbian/Mexican to stabilize it. So while not pure Thai, it's a great piece of breeding work. Truly standout.

Greatdalas

Regarding Golden Tiger, I've grown a few plants of both the fem and reg seeds the past few seasons. I found the reg to be more Thai leaning than the fem. It also flowered for a few weeks longer than the fem version. It's a really great strain when grown successfully to full maturity. I planned to grow the Golden Tiger 3rd version this season but the Covid pandemic held up the seeds in the mail for 2 months and they arrived too late for this year.

I'm growing Thai Chi this season and also a Thai x Panama. Both for the first time so I don't know them well yet.

I'm also growing a version of Mango Thai from what RSC had in stock last November. Since then, they're offering a version that came from a different farmer. Last year I grew the repro they were selling in winter/spring 2019. It's fairly different from the later November 2019 version. I'm also growing the Khalifa Muang Sing Lao. I can tell you that the November 2019 RSC Mango Thai and the Khalifa Muang Sing Lao are the same strain. For sure. The difference is that the RSC was sourced directly in Laos and the Khalifa passed through some generations of reproduction and selection. How many I don't know, but most if not all the repro gens. were indoors. I'm finding the RSC seems a bit more stout and robust. The KG MS is a bit more sensitive and fragile. The RSC plants are all a darker shade of green compared to the KG MS in the same soil and conditions. Otherwise their overall looks, leaf shape, branching, structure and growth patterns are identical. I'm guessing the current Mango Thai being shipped from RSC is yet a bit different again from both my versions but I'm not sure as I haven't gotten any.

I'm growing the RSC Highland Lao (not Highland Lao #2) also. I think it is more representative of classic Isaan/Lao types from northeastern Thailand/southern Laos Mekong river valley. Definitely different from the MT/MS Lao described above. First time growing it so I can't report on the flowers, terpenes or effects. It does seem to have the potential to grow large tall plants.

I'm surprised to see no mention of Cannabiogen's Destroyer. A Thai type, (Meao Thai I think) bred with some Columbian/Mexican to stabilize it. So while not pure Thai, it's a great piece of breeding work. Truly standout.
Kalifha only make open pollinations, no select nothing

TheDarkStorm

That thai they used in that was dam good....it seems to be proper old world thai rather than the more modern types......glad to see someone still has it....iv seen some really good work done with those genetics.....hopefully she'll keep you happy for many more years to come.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
I would look at the LandRace team and RealSeed co and the others offering pure Thai lines then research the ones you like and see what peoples feed backs are.

rizraz

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Kalifha only make open pollinations, no select nothing

Hey, thanks for comment but its actually not true. Kalifha makes selections then reproducers them indoors to decrease hermies. In a loa or thai strain that's a ton of work. Now it is all open pollination so I understand I may have made it seem like I was implying they have worked the line into a single chemotype, which is not the case. They are offering likely the most raw "Thai Terps" around besides maybe landrace seed company

Thai-Tanic is a good choice for a chocolate leaning thai, the skunk in the cross for sure helps with structure which is nice indoors.

rizraz

ICMag Donor
Veteran

CANNABIOGEN DESTORYER! What a great recommendation! Destroyer is likely some of the best flower I have ever smoked. 40AmpstoFreedom you cannot make a better choice than Destroyer. This plant deserves respect.

Thaichi is a really great plant, she was reliable and sturdy. On the Golden Tiger I did a couple of grows of a selected thai leaning clone of the regular seeds a year or so back which lead me immediately to fall in love. I'm planning to work three packs of Breeder's Pack of Golden Tiger in the fall. Really looking forward to those. I think the newest release of this looks super thai. Some of more thai looking buds I've seen on hybrid in a while.

JetLife175

Veteran
Kushman put a bunch of Thai hybrids out that look really interesting.

Source Genetics Thai Food is what you need
To search.

Greatdalas

Hey, thanks for comment but its actually not true. Kalifha makes selections then reproducers them indoors to decrease hermies. In a loa or thai strain that's a ton of work. Now it is all open pollination so I understand I may have made it seem like I was implying they have worked the line into a single chemotype, which is not the case. They are offering likely the most raw "Thai Terps" around besides maybe landrace seed company

Thai-Tanic is a good choice for a chocolate leaning thai, the skunk in the cross for sure helps with structure which is nice indoors.

I know how they work and I do not recommend their seeds, buy seeds from other banks and making a f2 just removing hermaphrodites without selecting is not working a line, and that is what they do

Last edited:

musigny23

That's not selection

Of course it is.

You must think "selection" can only mean picking phenotypes based on criteria related to commercial considerations like THC content. That's just one way of selecting.

You can also select for sexual stability if that is your goal. It may be less specific but it is selecting all the same. The resulting gene pool will be altered.

rizraz

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I know how they work and I do not recommend their seeds, buy seeds from other banks and making a f2 just removing hermaphrodites without selecting is not working a line, and that is what they do

Okay well not to educate here, but when you open pollinate a cultivar that is landrace we call those generations "P" as in parent. So it's not an F2 its a P2, small distinction but carries huge weight. Also I think the point of Kalifha lines is offer you a cultivatable landrace plant for you to make your own selections. Not to be picky about language twice in one post but which of their seeds do you believe they purchased from another seed bank? For that matter which seed banks are offering anything like Kalifha? As far as I can tell the Moroccan Beldia as an example might be some of the only preserved genetics from of that region that is being released publicly so who could they have purchased it from? The Indian Landrace Exchange, The Landrace Team, Kalifha Genetics, The Landrace Preservation Society, The Real Seed Company, ACE all these companies are IMHO that are doing what I'd call the hard work. Anyone can toss pollen from a FoRuM CuT X SVDFHFOWEHGIYD OG, not many can travel to genetics sources and offer us, as growers, new genetics lineages to work through. So look, I guess what I'm saying is agree to disagree. I'm doing a grow of Kalifha's Balkh Hashplant soon and I'll post the results publicly and despite all the uproar about Phylos, I will likely still run my selected plant through the database and we'll see first hand if that plant is related to another known genetics. My guess is we both know what that testing results will look like because the idea that someone with obviously rare genetics is buying them from anyone else because no one else sells those genetics. Maybe you'll share more to help all of us understand what Kalifha is doing wrong but the one sentence explanation saying you know how they work and they buy stuff from other breeders is of poor quality. Of poorer quality is saying that anyone working to remove Monoecious traits from landrace varieties to try and help expand the available genetics pool that all of us work from. I'm not sure what Kalifha did to you, or if you just purchase six seeds and didn't get what you want bet either way I hope you explain yourself better or delete your otherwise poor post.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts