What's new

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Tangwena

Veteran
I used dry heat from a dehydrator for 24 hours

Wouldn't 24 hours in a dehydrator dry out the cobs to the extent that any curing would not take place? Tangwena suggests air drying for several hours ~ one day (after 12~24 hours sealed at 40C) depending on the RH in that room. the last cob I did was air dried over night after 24 hours sealed at 40C/110F, as the humidity was high and the bud was a little wetter than usual ...anyway, I hope they turn out good for you.
ok for you.
I think he means inside vacuumed bags its a very sound method of sweating and after you can use it to part dry them slowly.
I will be getting one for my next batch for sure.

Drunken Buddha

This year is going to be my Year of the Cob for surer. Gonna make a Tang stick ala McKush and buy a nice yogurt maker and vac bag sealer. The Good Ship Lollipop will certainly be carrying Alice to my shores......

Tangwena

Veteran
This year is going to be my Year of the Cob for surer. Gonna make a Tang stick ala McKush and buy a nice yogurt maker and vac bag sealer. The Good Ship Lollipop will certainly be carrying Alice to my shores......
Hi brother get a dehydrator you can use them to slow dry the cobs after the cure as well as sweat them multi purpose tool. Vacuum sealer plus dehydrator are the must have tools now.

jonhova

I learned that you shouldnt hang dry your weed in your grow cabinet if you have a the fans on. They will get quite dry too quickly. I can tell the fermentation process would have been greater had there been more moisture to kick start everything.

Tangwena

Veteran
Hey Tang. What's doing friend??
What are you growing at the moment?
Not much at the moment but after August I plan 3rd style of Golden Tiger from Ace and some Punto Rojo x Coljam I cant wait its going to rock my socks off megga sativas.
Big time high as a kite cobs.

I just edited this to include some Panama x Honduras. I had 0.25g about 4 hours ago and PHEW! this is what you call living!
So because I have limited space and these are all regs I will do 3 of everything under 11/13 from week 1.
Sex them and then flower the remainder whatever they are.
One plant from each would be awesome any more a bonus.
I dont have your luxury of being able to grow outside you lucky son of a gun very envious of some of your pics man.

Last edited:

MostlyMe

Veteran
After the encouragement from Tangwena, I made my first cob with about a third of an ounce Bangi Haze that was already sort of dry (65%-ish). I did spray the crumbled bud with a little water before wrapping in oven paper and 'cooking' at 40 C. It seemed to work, but I still felt a little more water would be better, so I sprayed and cooked again. Now the cob has been at 30C for a week, but drying doesn't seem necessary: the wrapper is just about dry, though the compressed weed is a bit mushy. What do you guys think, does that mean I can start the cure? Or should I rewet some more?

Tangwena

Veteran
After the encouragement from Tangwena, I made my first cob with about a third of an ounce Bangi Haze that was already sort of dry (65%-ish). I did spray the crumbled bud with a little water before wrapping in oven paper and 'cooking' at 40 C. It seemed to work, but I still felt a little more water would be better, so I sprayed and cooked again. Now the cob has been at 30C for a week, but drying doesn't seem necessary: the wrapper is just about dry, though the compressed weed is a bit mushy. What do you guys think, does that mean I can start the cure? Or should I rewet some more?
Hi my friend a close up pic would be good so we can see if she is ready.
Its best if they are still moist before sweating but not mandatory.
Dont keep spraying as if the weed was too dry going in it will not help in any way.
Some members on 420 forum had some success rehydrating their weed to cob but I cant vouch for it myself.

led05

Chasing The Present
Hi brother get a dehydrator you can use them to slow dry the cobs after the cure as well as sweat them multi purpose tool. Vacuum sealer plus dehydrator are the must have tools now.

yeah baby, you're on board now (dehydrator), you're own train...ha !!! :)

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Here's the thunk cross cob:

picture.php

First sweat in vacuum 24 hours+/- 90F, then room temp sweat in vacuum 15 days,
re wrapped tighter same corn husk.

Unwrapped room temp sweat in vacuum 10 days +/-.

Cut in thirds to jar cure a couple weeks, then smoke test soon.

Whole cob bending under light pressure, sticky residue on fingers,
scent less corn, more thunk spice.

About 24g yield.

Tangwena

Veteran
Here's the thunk cross cob:

View Image

First sweat in vacuum 24 hours+/- 90F, then room temp sweat in vacuum 15 days,
re wrapped tighter same corn husk.

Unwrapped room temp sweat in vacuum 10 days +/-.

Cut in thirds to jar cure a couple weeks, then smoke test soon.

Whole cob bending under light pressure, sticky residue on fingers,
scent less corn, more thunk spice.

About 24g yield.
Thats the way my friend thank you for posting your recipe also others may wish to cure their buds like yours and the method is very important.

MostlyMe

Veteran
Hi my friend a close up pic would be good so we can see if she is ready.
Its best if they are still moist before sweating but not mandatory.
Dont keep spraying as if the weed was too dry going in it will not help in any way.
Some members on 420 forum had some success rehydrating their weed to cob but I cant vouch for it myself.

Here you go:

picture.php

picture.php

Many thanks!

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Reminds me I need to cut mine open and check it out. The first batch didn't work, the one I burned by not putting enough water in. When I checked on those they seemed "off". The smell immediately reminded me of weed that had been used in a vaporizer. I tried smoking a few bowls but nothing. I think leaving them in the crockpot with no water got it hot enough to boil off the thc. :cry:

Tangwena

Veteran
Here you go:

View Image

View Image

Many thanks!
Nice clear pics my friend that looks not bad. I cant smell it from here for some reason but from the looks alone it looks ok.
I would vac seal it up and leave it for a month opening and inspecting it weekly.
Each time you open it take a sample and dry it to try it, before resealing it.
If you notice any improvement then you are reaching the sweet spot in the cure it will be time to remove it and dry it before resealing it to age or to consume.
Some other members have reportedly had some success rehydrating buds on a thread by sweet sue on 420 forum you may care to have a look its quite enlightening. Its called Tangwenas Malawi style cob curing or something along those lines and they are doing a fair bit of innovative work its worth a look.

Tangwena

Veteran
Reminds me I need to cut mine open and check it out. The first batch didn't work, the one I burned by not putting enough water in. When I checked on those they seemed "off". The smell immediately reminded me of weed that had been used in a vaporizer. I tried smoking a few bowls but nothing. I think leaving them in the crockpot with no water got it hot enough to boil off the thc. :cry:
Hi buddy please show some pics when you do. I doubt it boiled off the thc but a picture paints a thousand words my friend.

H

HaHaHashish

Cobs made with lightly seeded bud are best loosely rolled and tied, this way when it's time to roll a joint, the cob will be less dense like hash, more looser and the seeds pop out more easily than with a tightly bound, more compact cob.

MostlyMe

Veteran
Nice clear pics my friend that looks not bad. I cant smell it from here for some reason but from the looks alone it looks ok.
I would vac seal it up and leave it for a month opening and inspecting it weekly.
Each time you open it take a sample and dry it to try it, before resealing it.
If you notice any improvement then you are reaching the sweet spot in the cure it will be time to remove it and dry it before resealing it to age or to consume.
Some other members have reportedly had some success rehydrating buds on a thread by sweet sue on 420 forum you may care to have a look its quite enlightening. Its called Tangwenas Malawi style cob curing or something along those lines and they are doing a fair bit of innovative work its worth a look.

Excellent, thank you. From your recommendation, should I conclude it is possible to 'overcure'? I was under the impression the cure lasts at least a month normally and since mine is probably a little dry I would need more time.

Or perhaps are you encouring me to get an idea of how the process progresses, which of course is smart either way.