What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

70w hps club

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
in a space that small its negligable. my eyeball skills tell me that box, the flower side anyway is about what? 46 inches across? 24 inches deep? about 36-48 inches high? thats about 2x the size of my box by the looks and i grew great plants with a single 70w in a box 12in deep, 24in wide and 36in tall. he has 6x70w. i think he can afford to lose a few lumens. and if a single 70w can cover my box his 400+w of 70w will be and prolly are already working just fine.

how do you manage the heat? i got a 50 and 70 in a smaller box and i cant get it under 80 no matter what. maybe i need more intake. i need to work on it.

Mk3Jetta

yes but a 400w have a better penetration!

Honestly bro!???!!!?!?!!

Its the 24th post in a new micro hps club and already somebody is trying to say more watts!!!! Grow with a 400!!!!

GTFO I dont wanna hear anyting about larger HPS's. :moon:

I dont wanna be rude but this place is for creative people that use a smaller wattage bulb.

edit: BTW TemptedSoul, you have a fucking awesome box there! K+

Leviathan

nice cab Tempested Soul... but a 400w hps have 55,000 lumens, a 70w hps have 6500 lumen
so:
six 70w lamps X 6500 lumes = 39,000 you lose around 15,000 lumens!!!!!
a little waste of watts.. imo

this isnt true, having theese bulbs so closely LARGELY nullifies the inverse square law u get with one sorce of light, your getting a huge increase in light coverage not a loss-

C

cork144

70watt hps grown buds.
picture.php

next grow is going to be 5 plants under the 70, 4 in each corner of the cab, each plant with 2 topps, the 5th being in the middle and having 4 topps.

ill be using larger bottles also, hopefully fatter buds, once that girls reveg is done.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
i said that a setup whit a single 400 w lamp would be better!

A 400 is a bad choice for a grow of this shape. By the time it was high enough to provide coverage, it's "penetration" abilities will be wasted as will most of it's spread. Multiple smaller HIDs or floro tubes are a much better choice here.

yup! They dont burn leaves unless touching the bulb. Works out awesome! 70w bulbs "among" the plants. Almost no wasted light.

Ya, Im really diggin the 420w total lighting setup. Great way to maximize the light potential from the 70 watters.

I cant believe how close in they are...Nice! :yes:

Mk3Jetta

It's be great if a moderator came and deleted the "?" in the original thread title. I started it as wondering if there was a club, but now it has turned into one. :)

slowandeasy

Veteran
Just picked up two 70 watt HPS for 60 bucks @ Lowes. Going in a 24"w x 14" d x 40" H flower area with CFL's to flank the sides. Just wondering what the best way to hang everything would be? This is a medi cab for a friend, am not used to this small of a set up...so any suggestions?

M

mrred

i just found a unused 70hps in my garage, looks like in

slowand easy 2 70s should be enough

Mk3Jetta

Just picked up two 70 watt HPS for 60 bucks @ Lowes. Going in a 24"w x 14" d x 40" H flower area with CFL's to flank the sides. Just wondering what the best way to hang everything would be? This is a medi cab for a friend, am not used to this small of a set up...so any suggestions?

Well I'd mount the HPS's to the ceiling with a little bit of space for heat purposes. Than create a way to bring the plants up to the light. You can get quite close with a 70w. What kind of CFL's?

Mk3Jetta

smoke a spliff and relax Mk!!!

I never said use more watts!! i said that a setup whit a single 400 w lamp would be better! and if there are heat problems use something like 2X150 w hps (3 times more efficent than a 70w) and 1X70w hps...it was a simple reasoning about efficiency, just my opinion..

by the way i never used a 400w, cause i'm also a 70w user!!

picture.php

^my old 70w cab, now i'm building a better one..

+1 tell us about your cooling method!

and could a moderator rename the thread as "70 W HPS CLUB" whitout the ? and maybe stick it up? :2cents:

Was that a picture from harvest or right when they started flowering? jw.

SeriousNerd

A club is a great idea, I'm looking forward to seeing other people's cabs and hearing their experiences. 70W are all you need :joint:

This was my old setup:

And this is my new one:

Zealious

hmm. What about 70w mh? I feel like a mh would keep the plants shorter in a micro setup.. then maybe a couple of warm cfls for the red light.. or red leds?