What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

70w hps club

Mk3Jetta

I might just change the group name to micro HID grows.....

Just an update for myself: I have been recently trying to build a 70hps grow box, its had its ups and downs.
Yesterday however I got it all patched up and close to done. Ran the light on for a few hours with my ventilation system going 2/3rd power and the temps were sitting at 77 F in the lower portion of the cab and 75 F in the upper portion!!!!!

I dont know why its warmer below but I love the fact that I have a grow box with decent temps!

This is actually the first box i've built that will hopefully grow some dankies one day!

Zealious I like your idea about the MH, however I think an HPS will put more weight on the buds and you can lower the stretch with supplemental 6500K CFLs... Thats just my .02 until there are actual experiments.

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
Ran the light on for a few hours with my ventilation system going 2/3rd power and the temps were sitting at 77 F in the lower portion of the cab and 75 F in the upper portion!!!!!

Was your thermometer shaded? I used to get senseless readings like that until I started shading, now all readings behave as they should.

smokeymacpot

Veteran
heres the top of a main cola done under a 70w hps, no pictures of the rest of the plant tho :(

not able to use it anymore, but hopefully one day i will use it again :D

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
so what are we doing here? 4 pages and were still talking about jonkanoo? where are the rest of you guys grows of 70w hps?

just some random pics from my first grow with a single 70w.

you guys post some now.

grouchy

I would like to introduce myself and my cab here. This seems like the best place to post my info.

I am on my test run with it right now and when finished I will set it up with a mother and flower the clones. I am currently running three Lowrider Dwarf mix seeds under cfls in the veg room. There is also a cloning experiment going on in the 20oz water bottle.

In the flower room I have four bagseeds under a 70w hps that were flowered almost right after they came up. They were planted at separate times and the two oldest have been supercropped.

I will try and get a grow thread going if anyone is interested and keep everyone informed on the updates. I also plan on run larger lights when the temps start to fall this winter. I have a 100w CMH I would like to stick in there.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
grouchy can you tell me where you got your 100w cmh and ballast? id like to get a 70w setup but the only place i see online selling anything less than 400w are bulk retailers.

M

mrred

i think mh and hps ballasts are the same, the only different is the igniter connected on it to fire up the hps bulbs

smokeymacpot

Veteran
i think mh and hps ballasts are the same, the only different is the igniter connected on it to fire up the hps bulbs

my 70w ballast has no ignitor, it is in the bulb instead. so in theory it should run a 70w mh, the ballast stats hps/mh.

not that i would ever bother using one like.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
are you sure its not that the ignitor is for the MH? all the hps i have which are under 100w btw never came with an ignitor.

grouchy

It says to use a ballast with the ansi code m/143/m98 for the 70w CMH bulb. That code is for a pulse start MH ballast. That should help clear it up. :joint: