What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Plant Based Diet

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

imiubu

LOL @ the Hash Oil on the chart.

I take 1T Hemp Seed Oil daily. It tastes like green fan leaves in a really thick oil :D I wash it down with some sweetened coffee lol.

My research has lead me to think that Cold Pressed/ Expeller Pressed Oils are the most beneficial.
All cold pressed oils are expeller pressed. Not all expeller pressed oils are cold pressed though. Reading labels is important, ime.

Avoid all processed/ hydrolyzed and GMO oils, imho.
For frying/ high smoke points; peanut oil and avocado oil have naturally high smoke points w/ out being hydrolyzed (again, read labels!).

HSO is considered to be a nearly perfectly balanced oil as far as Omega 3 to 6 ratios. Tastes gross but I did notice an almost immediate (4-5 days) clearing of my brain fog once I began supplementing. I noticed also that I had less aches/ pains and was able to move with more fluidity. I have been supplementing daily with HSO for nearly 2yrs. now and will continue due to my personal results.

Western style diets are generally too high in omega 6 resulting in an imbalanced ratio.
A balanced ratio is considered to be 3-4/ 1 Omega 3 to 6.
Consuming too much Omega 6 and not enough Omega 3 leads to a plethora of health issues.

There are tons of studies available. I'll just link one article/ summary. Feel free to find your own info if my link doesn't salve your quest to learn more on this subject.
https://www.hempbasics.com/shop/hemp-seed-nutrition

"Hemp seed oil has been dubbed, "Nature's most perfectly balanced oil" due to the fact that it contains the perfectly balanced 3:1 ratio of both the required essential fatty acids (EFAs) for long term human consumption.

Omega 6 -Linoleic Acid (LA) : Omega 3 - Linolenic Acid (LNA).

Hemp oil is also an excellent source of the LA derivative super-polyunsaturated Gamma Linolenic Acid (GLA) at 2.5-3% of volume* * Based on EFA composition noted in research crop reports conducted in Manitoba and Canada during the last three years. Only Hemp seed oil contains Omega 6, Omega 3 and GLA Only

Hemp seed oil contains 75-80% polyunsaturated fatty acids - highest in the plant kingdom and unique among seed oils."

imiubu

@imiubu- is there a brand of hso that you recommend?
Howdy Billy :)

After trying several brands I chose the Nutiva brand. It still tastes like oily ground up fan leaves but is so much smoother going down than other brands I tried. Not shilling for this company though!
This brand is sold in my local health food stores, groceries with a decent 'health food' section and on Amazon etc.

Hulled Hemp Seed Hearts taste yummy and are widely avail (even saw them at wally world) if wanting the Omegas but can't stand the taste of the oil. Takes a bunch of the Hearts to = 1T of oil though. Taste great on salads for sure.

Best to ya.

G

thanks for the reply bro. i will keep that in mind.

What was the hemp farmers' collective out of Manitoba almost 20 years ago? Kennebrex, or something like that?

We had some of their hemp seed oil, as well as roasted hemp seeds.

They were among the many 'props' we received around the year 2000, in support of what was then Proposition 5 in Alaska.

G

are you referring to the grow that was in a mine shaft in flin flon manitoba?

No, a formal collective of hemp farmers, marketing their seeds and pressed/extracted hemp seed oil. It was a fairly well known operation and though relatively expensive at that time, within reason for the market.

But I know folks up north in Manitoba, too (up near The Pas)... been there numerous times.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
The main supplements I take are B12 and Omega 3s, although I do eat plant sources of the latter. I generally try and avoid oils of any sort but rather try and get what nutrients I can from whole foods. For example instead of using olive oil, I would be more likely to eat olives.

Good sources of Omega 3;
Chia Seeds. Chia seeds are known for their many health benefits, bringing a hefty dose of fiber and protein with each serving. ...
Brussels Sprouts. ...
Algal Oil. ...
Hemp Seed. ...
Walnuts. ...
Flaxseeds. ...
Perilla Oil.

The more I read about plant based diets, the more I'm surprised by nutrients in plant that I would never have suspected. I would never have guessed that brussel sprouts would be a good source of Omega 3, or that there was protein in grains like rice.
Goes to show how indoctrinated we are regarding diet. When I was growing up I thought the only way you could get protein was meat and dairy. It's actually in many plant foods.

G

The main supplements I take are B12 and Omega 3s, although I do eat plant sources of the latter. I generally try and avoid oils of any sort but rather try and get what nutrients I can from whole foods. For example instead of using olive oil, I would be more likely to eat olives.

Good sources of Omega 3;
Chia Seeds. Chia seeds are known for their many health benefits, bringing a hefty dose of fiber and protein with each serving. ...
Brussels Sprouts. ...
Algal Oil. ...
Hemp Seed. ...
Walnuts. ...
Flaxseeds. ...
Perilla Oil.

The more I read about plant based diets, the more I'm surprised by nutrients in plant that I would never have suspected. I would never have guessed that brussel sprouts would be a good source of Omega 3, or that there was protein in grains like rice.
Goes to show how indoctrinated we are regarding diet. When I was growing up I thought the only way you could get protein was meat and dairy. It's actually in many plant foods.

I think a lot of the transition has to do with identifying acceptable and potent alternative sources of protein, if a person has been on a heavy meat-sourced diet where proteins are concerned.

Rice and beans combine for a more complex complete protein, but both are high in carbs, which is a no-no for me.

Lately I've been snacking on sprouted pumpkin seed hearts, lightly salted with sea salt. They have surprisingly high nutrient values, to include iron, magnesium, protein, and more.

And... .what's more.. they taste pretty darned good, and go on top of a dinner salad as micro-croutons pretty well, also.

G

so you essentially germinated some pumpkin seeds and when they sprout you eat them?

These are being sold as ready-to-eat organic sprouted pumpkin seeds, selling at Costco in Fairbanks for just under $10 USD for 22 ounces, or 624 grams.

They're labeled as organic, vegan, and non-GMO, USDA organic, "sprouted pumpkin seeds" "with a touch of sea salt."

Don't know if it's intended to be read as the brand/manufacturer or not, but in the upper left-hand corner of the zip-lock, resealable 22-oz. bag, in smaller print, it reads, "HARVESTED FOR YOU"

A pale greenish background to the bag's appearance, with darker green lettering where it reads "Pumpkin Seeds", and orange lettering where it reads "sprouted" & "with a touch of sea salt."

I buy them when they're on sale, for just about $5/bag, and my family seems to like them quite a lot, based on the frequency with which I'm finding depleted bags of the things.

The nutritional information states that 1/4-cup is about 28 grams, or 1 oz., and 1/4 cup has ~160 calories, 13 grams of fat (of which 2 grams is saturated), 0 mg cholesterol, 110 mg sodium (BOO!!! HISS!!!), 5 grams of carbohydrate (~1/3 of a 'carb unit', minus 2 grams of dietary fiber, leaves 3 grams of residual/actual carbohydrate with 0 added sugars), 7 grams of protein, 0 mcg of Vitamin D, 17 mg calcium, 4 mg iron, 227 mg potassium, 2 mg zinc, 165 mg magnesium.

All in all, one of the tastiest, 'healthy snacks' I've come across in a LONG while.

Hoping the store continues to carry them. Living on the cusp of the film set from 'Deliverance,' and Costco typically only maintaining stock of things that sell well, well.... there's no telling what the future is for these things being stocked regularly here, but for now, I score about 3 bags of them every time they're on sale for close to the $5/bag price I mentioned..

Green Squall

I try to use Sunday to do a little prep cooking to make things easier for the next few days. I'm about a month into this diet and for the most part am enjoying it. Here we have some mashed sweet potato with a little raw red onion and dill, assorted steamed veggies, basmati rice and peas, and boiled cabbage w/ green beans, chick peas and Thai basil. Potatoes I eat every day, but I like to cook them fresh, so I'll pop one in the air fryer before its time to eat. I'll dress this all up later with whatever condiments I feel like using. A few favorites are tamari sauce, extra virgin olive oil and fresh chopped salsa that you'll find it the produce department, although technically I think that's called pico de gallo? Anyone have any suggestions for condiments or something else that can be used as flavoring?

picture.php