What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Round Infinity

VortexPower420

Veteran
No not crazy....just what you should be doing.

I think we would all be in big trouble if worms at roots....worms are how I judge my soil health.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think we would all be in big trouble if worms at roots....worms are how I judge my soil health.

what do you look for as far as signs your soil is in good health? just curious, im only a couple/few years into my journey into organics and still learning all i can, especially about troubleshooting & how to look out/what to look out for.

yesterday i mixed up a 4 gallon batch of bokashi (in a 5 gallon bucket, sealed lid); used rice hulls, panella, em1, humic acid concentrate & seaweed powder (bioag). I dilluted the panella (raw sugar) into about 8 cups of water then sprayed and mixed and stirred that water into the rice bran, stirred in a couple tablespoons of the bioag humics, put the lid on tight and tossed it around good... will check it in about 2 weeks, at which time i expect it to be well innoculated. Will probably mix it into my topcoat mix for everything in veg

I received some Flo X Sourbubble bxiIV that i'm thinking about germinating sometime this spring. Seemed like something you'd like too. :)
fuck yhea i like the sound of that! :whee: :woohoo: :whee:

Last edited:

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
So you get your breeding chamber worked out? what was the problem with it, insulation?

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So you get your breeding chamber worked out? what was the problem with it, insulation?

yhea, insulation....
it's COLD out there....
i setup a 1kw bulb in there all sealed up, temps shot up to 105 and stayed there, so i installed a 4 inch fan on a thermostat, temp drops to 55 with lite on, fan never turns on because heat is simply escaping out of the 4 inch hole...
so now i want to build a small damper to sit on the 4" fan, block warm air from simply escaping while temp is building up...
also, when lites are out in the breeding chamber i will have to run a small heater....
and me still with no male currently to breed with, I don't want to put plants out there and come back to them frozen, and I have to weight the benefits of running a heater, a 1kw lite and risking it all to the cold.

Last edited:

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
I'm absolutely sure you can find a few male plants, but you gotta get temps in line before it'll matter...

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
fuckin' temps.... i'm sure they will hold, shit i could probably do a run in there at 55f if i REALLY wanted to do it asap, but the cost of the electricity for lite AND heater for lites out after this most recent relocation, just being conservative with funds at this time before pushing it too hard..
on the other hand i think if i HAD the males i'd be full steam ahead to fill the damn chamber and flip it... to get seeds-a-makin'

either way, gotta focus on all these lil veg plants coming up, making sure they don't wait too long to be transplanted... since going organic that's one thing i have noticed - timing of transplants (earlier rather than later) has more to do with proper growth & progress when growing organic than with chems... when i was on hydro nutrients in nuetral media i could veg 2 ft tall plants out of solo cups, transplant into 3 gallons and flip after only a week. not anymore.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
today I took the 1kw out of the ice cold breeding chamber and moved it to a new veg area just for 1gallons... up-potted the biggest solo cups (from rockwool cloning) into 1gallon pots.

emptied about 60% of the aero - cloner into solo cups, pulled out a bunch of Original Glue (gg4), gluebreath, and ogkb2.0, plus some silver grapefruit minion city diesel, catpiss x moontang, and Blueberry x NorthernLights#5.

Last edited:

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
bb x nl5??/ is that a new one for you? or i'm just slippin'

ya that's a new one for me, came with a slew of other "old school" strains; acapulco gold, panama red, cheese... not sure if they are sticking around or not at this point.

goldie76

Stellar looking grow my friend! Stoked to see how that woca turns out for ya. Mine is a hog looking fat! The agold is my fav I had and old strain passed down over years in my circle, friend of mine crossed with GDP and goldie was result. Still have some old beans laying around. May have to bring goldie back to life!
Speaking of wigglers, thought I'd share I just ordered up some Africans from bestbuyworms. These suckers eat huge amounts of compost around 1.5 times their body weight. They are pretty temp sensitive from what I gather. They said they guarantee ship to CO now with the low temps. So we'll see. Excited to add to my collection of red wigglers and European nightcrawlers! Keep up the great work, def following along!

Last edited:

VortexPower420

Veteran
what do you look for as far as signs your soil is in good health? just curious, im only a couple/few years into my journey into organics and still learning all i can, especially about troubleshooting & how to look out/what to look out for.

yesterday i mixed up a 4 gallon batch of bokashi (in a 5 gallon bucket, sealed lid); used rice hulls, panella, em1, humic acid concentrate & seaweed powder (bioag). I dilluted the panella (raw sugar) into about 8 cups of water then sprayed and mixed and stirred that water into the rice bran, stirred in a couple tablespoons of the bioag humics, put the lid on tight and tossed it around good... will check it in about 2 weeks, at which time i expect it to be well innoculated. Will probably mix it into my topcoat mix for everything in veg

fuck yhea i like the sound of that! :whee: :woohoo: :whee:

I am still learning as well brother, I just try and look to nature to show me the way.

I have learned the hard way that less is more. I try and keep my worms feed with diverse materials. Keeping in mind not to apply to mich N in flower or anytime for that matter.

Diversity is the driver so I like to see as many macroscopic creatures as possible. If the higher levels of bugies are there you can be pretty sure the rest of the soil food web is ticking along. Having a healthy population of worms is my main indicator.

They are the muscle of the soil. Churning eating, pooping all the while leaving a diverse microbe populations in its wake.

With worms you are constantly increasing your cec, increasing stored nutrents that are really available to the plant and improving the tilth.

Worms in your pots are a must in a living soil paradigm imho.

I could go on about worms for days but I'll stop here.

Corpsey

pollen dabber
ICMag Donor
Veteran
either way, gotta focus on all these lil veg plants coming up, making sure they don't wait too long to be transplanted... since going organic that's one thing i have noticed - timing of transplants (earlier rather than later) has more to do with proper growth & progress when growing organic than with chems... when i was on hydro nutrients in nuetral media i could veg 2 ft tall plants out of solo cups, transplant into 3 gallons and flip after only a week. not anymore.

For sure I have noticed this as well. I start seeds in solo cups too, but i make sure to transplant them before they are 1 week old above ground. 4-5 days has been great, and for me 3 gallon bag minimum, 5gal is nice, and 7gal is tits. it looks funny such a small seedling in such a pot but it pays off in within 2 weeks. also feeding early helps a lot. like the same time as the transplant.

im excited to see those cali-o x sb. good luck with keeping warm!

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks goldie, waxi, corpesy, vortex & gano for checking in!

I've been focusing on veg, spraying regularly with neem, iso, soap and essential oils alternating with beneficial foliar feeds of EM1, Quantum Lite, kelp/alfalfa tea, compost tea.
all of veg got a topcoat of alfalfa, kelp, "rainbow mix", VAM mycos, malted barley and flax meal. then watered all that in. next up is a compost layer topcoat, and adding worms upon their arrival (fingers crossed that they arrive mostly alive)
soon I'm going to start training OUT all the large plants in veg that are getting super brancy. will be tying them down and out using garden wire tied from branches to rim of pots.

meanwhile in bloom it seems plants are sucking up moisture bigtime, can't keep them wet enough - perhaps that means my soil mix is heavy on the aeration component and could use more humic source (compost /ewc/topsoil) and more moisture retention component (peat/coco/topsoil). also i've decided that i dont think fabric pots are the best bet for organic indoor container gardening in dry climates; i think the OUTSIDE Of the pots is drying quicker even than the TOP of the soil where the mulch layer protects from evaporation. I think i'm loosing alot of moisture QUICKLY thru the sides of the fabric pots. This makes me want to do sub-irrigated planters more and more;
one question i have about "SIP's" is: can i still topfeed? also can if i do topfeed and over fill is there an "overflow" used in sip designs? kinda like the hole in buckets when made for hempy's?
I like top-feeding because i think it draws air down into the rootzone with the water... i know i don't want much runoff, so too much top-feed will lead to runoff and less of that is better, that's my thinking, sub irrigating for 75% of moisture would be nice then when i topcoat with amendments and kashi and whatnot THEN top-water to get those incorporated into that top layer.

lost a couple seedlings to damping off; a dakini kush, a couple gg4 x blu ox's, one of those lemonlarry skunk ogk's....
also the canon t2i took a shit and ain't working at the moment, looking into an alternative and hustling some clones and seeds to pay for a repair/replacement.

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
yeah, you can still topfeed... and yeah, a overflow is recommended...
I water my mulch every day....

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Wow, beautiful. Late, but tagging along. I've been doing organic soup, would love to do TLO, but still learning the basics. Just completed my second grow.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
my goddamn worms arrived mostly dead, damnit.
the red wigglers - bulk of the order - looks nearly all dead, a mass of sludge (that stinks) at the bottom of the bag, not dried out...
the 100 nightcrawlers look ok....
hoping uncle jim gona make it right....

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
my anecdotal observation has been that peat makes them sluggish. still it is used for bedding and as a packing/shipping filler. frequently once they get in a healthier environment they perk up. i bet they got cold too

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
my goddamn worms arrived mostly dead, damnit.
the red wigglers - bulk of the order - looks nearly all dead, a mass of sludge (that stinks) at the bottom of the bag, not dried out...
the 100 nightcrawlers look ok....
hoping uncle jim gona make it right....

GNW7236.zoom.a.jpg