What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Gavita DE vs. CMH 630w systems: pros and cons of both?

Rondon

I dont know why its an either or debate when you can combine the 2 spectrums for the ultimate. In a staggered pattern. Cmh for the more plant friendly sectrum and hps to give up that chunky high calyx to leaf and weight. If you have Gavita de fixtures..roll with the new 630 cmh de. If you have 600 mogul socket hps...roll with the 315 lec lamps from Sunlight Supply. If you have 1000 watter moguls...roll with the double bulb 630 cmh. Does this makes sense or am I all wet? I have seen people replacing whole rooms with 315's and 630' cmh lamps and killing it though. These growers are yielding 12 to 16 ounces per 315. Thats frikin amazing. And saving huge on the electric bill. I know a guy that has 4 315's from Sunlight Supply and hes getting 50 to 60 ounces of trimmed dried buds. Thats ALOT from 1260 watts. Something he could never do with a 1000 watt mogul socket hps.

hyposomniac

Growers choice 630de 3100k is lacking in something imo..
My experience
-took way long to initiate flowers
-trichs were reluctant to mature.
-hardly any stretch, could be useful
-buds on the leafy side but dense.

I had documented it pretty well but lost the notes and photos, I am sorry.. mixed tent, some Coco, some soil and a sssdh in dwc.. pitch black nights, good vpd and temps.
I grabbed one before the 'enhanced​ red' version came out... Which makes me think they maybe made the 3100 without enough red, eh?
Vegging again now and they grown vigorously under this lamp but Looking to supplement w led for flower

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Whelp, master controller was a waste of money. They worked for 2 days and quit firing. Im getting tired of growerhouse really, this the second time they had me buy some shit n made it sound all good n it really wasnt. Now i got 2 bulbs with no way of running them and a master controller i really didnt need. Think ima stick with the gavitas for a while n wait for technology to spread, meanwhile any upgrades will be 315s.

Get mo- your gavitas will run the DE cmh bulbs you have just fine. It will shorten their life span a bit, but it will work in a pinch. I ran a cmh 630w bulb for a few weeks with no problem with my DE phantom ballast on the 600w setting.

direless

vrt vs. hor orientation

vrt vs. hor orientation

I need help understanding the value of vertical orientation of bulb in hood vs. horizontal.

srich250

I hope this pic worked. I haven't posted in a long time.

This is Crown Royale that four plants were finished under a CMH 630 PLUS 100w led on either side. So about 830w total and I got 37oz dried and cured. That's about 1.3g/watt. My yield is much higher under the new Fluence spyder XL LED which I think is about 700w. But I wanted to test this strain under CMH and compare.

Results:
Finished quicker under CMH. Every strain for more than two yrs finishes quicker to full maturity.

Yield is less than DE HPS 1000 or Fluence LED. I got around 12.5oz each under those lights.

Terpenes are as good or better under CMH.

Density same or better.

Colors are better under CMH for sure. More purples. Unfortunately the orange stigmatas are plentiful and block seeing all the trichomes. But it's a strong indica dominant and has tested between 19-23% each time. I haven't had a terpene profile yet.

My guess is that the lower heat and photons allow the plant to get to peak maturity and allow for more fall colors. Even if it is genetic. This strain has almost no purples under 600/1000 if I don't keep temps low. Never done on purpose!!!!!!!!! Ceiling height issues sometimes :)!!!!!!

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=77251&pictureid=1856667

picture.php

Attachments

• 8A819527-218E-4937-B9F0-ABE6D0FF5BF7.jpg
    8A819527-218E-4937-B9F0-ABE6D0FF5BF7.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 21

heatherlonglee

I really have to wonder; how many of you guys should've just used a MH Blue instead of going for the complete CMH system? The CMH will disappoint if you ask me. I only have experience with the Hortilix MH Blue but, I prefer it over the CMH if you can control the extra heat; better bulb justifies the 21% or so extra power used by the MH Blue. I use my CMH for veg only. I will never consider it again for flower.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
So far a couple months in I'm having good luck running a cheap Chinese DE CMH 630 in my Gavita Flex 750 at the 600 watt setting.

Super bright and it's covering 4 x 6 foot space.

Latest posts

Latest posts