What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Security measures for outdoors.

r2_

What kind of security measures do you guys use for an outdoor grow? I have heard of people planting underneath beehives, in thorn bushes, in misquito populated places. These all seem to be pretty good places. Also, I have heard of people using deer camera's to find out who is visiting their crops. I just want to know what kind of security measures you guys take every year, we all know how bad it is to lose a crop to rippers, i'd like to avoid that as much as possible this year.

This year I was thinking of wearing a ghillie suit whenever I wanted to visit my spots. In previous years I have been spotted from a distance while visiting plots. I think I would rather want people to think i'm a swamp monster than a grower.

So tell me what security measures you take to avoid rippers, and where you get your stuff from. I'd like this thread to be as informative to people as possible, let me start by linking you to a cheap ghillie suit which is military grade:

http://www.opsgear.com/BUSHRAG-GHILLIE-FLAGE-Suit-p/br-gf-11.htm

Gantz

Smoke weed and prosper
Veteran
most ghillie suits weigh enough and are just too hot to be in, especially on a hot summer day.
but a pair of binoculars and 30 minutes on a hill can be easier on you. just sit and watch.
and if you think camo is good then apply it to your plants and all will be well.

G

Security outdoors......

NEVER make trails that lead to your plants.
Always place your plants next other green bushes/plants!
Not in a field with the bucket showing as above,wrong.....
PEOPLE are you biggest enemies,NEVER tell friends......
Paint or camoflage your pots,even dig holes and place pots in them
but get rid of all dirt from holes and cover holes/pots with leaves!!
DONT WORRY ABOUT PLANES,as long as there not a 6 to 8 foot plant
in the middle of a grassy field they will only see green from above!!!!!
NEVER park cars near trail enterences,or let people see you hauling stuff
into the woods........the longer you walk the safer the plants will be!!
Good luck..

G

God I hope my dog doesn't see you in that suit. Big foot lives!!

Everything Lougrew said and limit the number of plants per plot. 'Dont put all of your eggs in one basket. And then don't create a path from one group to another.

Gantz

Smoke weed and prosper
Veteran
Lou is right about the whole bucket thing...but i put it there to make a point. from a distance you can't even see the plant, let alone the bucket. and no Low...it's not in a field

Ulysses

Bushrags are great. Make your own with jute and hemp rope, rit dyes, and a ripstop BDU just like I did- plenty of sites on the web with instruction and it will be superior to a purchased suit...

Problem is people think you're a poacher and call the game commissioner.

I go for Realtree camo and khaki pants and binoculars if visiting the patch. If people are spotting you visiting the patch, you need a new location because they are getting curious as to what you are up to...

Fertilize everything AROUND the patch also. I like Espoma Garden Tone about 14 bucks for big 25lb bag and throw it all around...

If you use pots, bury them up to the rim using the dug soil to build up around the container- smash some grass leaves twigs into the 'fresh' soil around the container. It's said that most people have never seen a live growing maryjane plant and probably couldn't spot one in the bush for sure if they were standing on it- but they do know what a plant container looks like...

Hit the plot and get out fast. Nothing is more pleasurable to me than to stand in the middle of the grow and smell the roses as it were... Resist the temptations!

Good luck and grow well...

PureSativa420

go in the early morning before sunrise or late at night after the sun goes down

never make trails

always be aware of ya surroundings

never leave tools, water jugs, rope, or anything at ya plots

grow many many plots as the saying goes 1 for you, 1 for the cops, 1 for the rippers and 1 for mother nature

bury ya buckets in the ground as it helps to hide the bucket and itll keep moisture alot longer

plant where people dont want to go marshes, swamps, thickets, down rivers and across them, and also find a place where there is lots of green healthy vegetation!

hamstring

Veteran
To me the best security starts with the IN/Out of the area you are growing in. Make sure you have chosen a location where you can get in and out with out being suspicious.

Ride a bike to the plot entrance (if car is a must bring bike too, park car somewhere and then ride bike.)

Use railroad tracks as access point.

Kayak or canoe in.

As said before go early.

Turn down any spot where you cannot get in/out with out sticking out. Think about what you would think if you saw someone walking or riding a bike in the area. Is it normal, unusual? Do others park their car here to go fishing? Is it legal to park my car here? Can the neighbors up on the hill see my bike pulling off the road and disappearing?

Is the park open at 5:00am if not my car will be parked outside the gate.

That one happened to me. I had a great entrance from a park. I had been here many times and new the lay of the land. I pull up at 5:00 am with a bunch of plants. Always better to be early and the gate is locked and I have no other choice but to park outside and hike in with everything. All went well but I could have kicked myself for missing that detail.

Most of my security breech’s have been going in and coming out of the area. Once in everything is usually golden.

Last edited:

Smoke68

Added to the above comments;
Always have the answer to the question of "Why are ya here boy?"
Never leave prints (foot/shoe/finger/clothes)

PazVerdeRadical

all praises are due to the Most High
Veteran
Added to the above comments;
Always have the answer to the question of "Why are ya here boy?"

all I know is that if I'm on national park or public land and someone asked me what was I doing there, I would probably laugh at their stupid ass face. who the hell do people think they are asking others abut their personal biznes? stop behaving like frightened children out in the woods and men won't pick on you.

peace

You better have a damn good reason for creeping around in the woods wearing a ghillie suit! :bashhead:

Better to look like you belong there in case you're seen rather than try too hard to not be seen at all.

PazVerdeRadical

Veteran
imo one does not have to look like anything, we as free people simply owe NO explanation to no one as to wtf are we doing in nature. so long as you are not busted watering your plot or similar all is good.
of course, this is supposing one has found a secure spot and has a stealth plot going on and you are playing without breaking any of the grower's rules... supposing you were able to haul all in without being seen etc...

paz

Smoke68

We never NEED one... but when we dont have one, it is just one more thing for LEO to hold you on till they search my house, find one roach, spoon, bubbler, bat, bong, hookah (not hard to find in mine)... I have used the airsoft excuse... We went in just looking for plots to plant at and LEO came up to us... wielding Airsoft guns, with BRIGHT orange tip, the men approached us with guns drawn. We were about 2 miles from the border and can see the crossing from the top of this hill. The men in green "mountain" outfits where homeland security. We had the excuse, had the Airsoft guns and they would NOT believe us... after arguing with the two guys for around 20-30 minutes, having to explain exactly why I had a map marked with details of soil condition... Finally the older HSO said, "We can't prove why we think you're here, but what we can tell you is, we are sure that it cant be legal. You guys are free to go. Don't come back to this area to play with your toys."
This is the newest idea I have;
When a hunter walks up asks the big q, I should pick up my clipboard (another essential) with survey info on it. Ask their name, and get simple info (why THEY are there, who they are, what they do sort of stuff). Then I tell them my excuse. It is that I am a Biology Major and have been studying the ecological survey of the land and resources of the area that have been savagely and ruthlessly destroyed with ammunition rounds and whatnot of hunters in the region over the past 3 years. I go on to tell them that I have been documenting all shells/cartridge casings in the area and taking them for printing and processing each as they are the reason poisons leach into the soil. I tell them that LEO is going to be cracking down on those who litter with fines/ jail due to the ecological deprivation of our area. I'd be willing to bet that they shut the **** up after that and pick up ALL of their shells/garbage:)
When a cop asks I tell them the same only that it was the pig overpopulation that hurt the ecosystem.

Z10N

fishing wires with a few fishing hooks tied in the eye level, arms , and legs.. around the grow area... and you can be sure whoever sniffs around the area will get it bad.
also rip a few big spike bushes and place them around the grow, to make it hard to reach the plants.

camouflage ~ camouflage ~ C@m-O-f1@G3......

Gantz

Smoke weed and prosper
Veteran
Yeah Z10N you do that and when some kid walks around the forest and runs into them the cops will make sure that assholes like the ones using shit like that will get it really bad. If I had a kid and that would happen to him i would get gun and a few knives and wait until the grower comes around and i would make him pay.

Last edited:

Smoke68

**** that zion... I am not one to flame, but seriously dude think of what you are giving advice to do. People like you, give people such as Backcountry or me a bad name... growers would be labeled as purely savage. The pot market will turn upside down and you think I am ****ing joking.
I do not want to hurt people or the land when it is NOT a survival situation... EVER!!! I volunteer, and not only for the community but I take friends to fields and we will puff up a little and work for a couple hours cleaning up trash. I go to nearby lakes and pick up shoreline debris. I feel in giving back to the land that gives to me.
That said, I think traps are the worst. They only cause further inquiry whereas if the person just walked by most plots, it would have just been another spot along the trail...
Dude, if I saw you tying fishing hooks in a field, on some trees, I do NOT care who the **** you are, I would probably pick you up and hang you from the lines by your anus and mouth so you would understand what some country bumpkin kid is going to walk by and feel like when he gets tangled in that shit... Keep your traps in town right where you made them. I'll keep my plants with me in all things nature.

PazVerdeRadical

Veteran
Smoke68 said:
We never NEED one... but when we dont have one, it is just one more thing for LEO to hold you on till they search my house, find one roach, spoon, bubbler, bat, bong, hookah (not hard to find in mine)... I have used the airsoft excuse... We went in just looking for plots to plant at and LEO came up to us... wielding Airsoft guns, with BRIGHT orange tip, the men approached us with guns drawn. We were about 2 miles from the border and can see the crossing from the top of this hill. The men in green "mountain" outfits where homeland security. We had the excuse, had the Airsoft guns and they would NOT believe us... after arguing with the two guys for around 20-30 minutes, having to explain exactly why I had a map marked with details of soil condition... Finally the older HSO said, "We can't prove why we think you're here, but what we can tell you is, we are sure that it cant be legal. You guys are free to go. Don't come back to this area to play with your toys."
This is the newest idea I have;
When a hunter walks up asks the big q, I should pick up my clipboard (another essential) with survey info on it. Ask their name, and get simple info (why THEY are there, who they are, what they do sort of stuff). Then I tell them my excuse. It is that I am a Biology Major and have been studying the ecological survey of the land and resources of the area that have been savagely and ruthlessly destroyed with ammunition rounds and whatnot of hunters in the region over the past 3 years. I go on to tell them that I have been documenting all shells/cartridge casings in the area and taking them for printing and processing each as they are the reason poisons leach into the soil. I tell them that LEO is going to be cracking down on those who litter with fines/ jail due to the ecological deprivation of our area. I'd be willing to bet that they shut the **** up after that and pick up ALL of their shells/garbage:)
When a cop asks I tell them the same only that it was the pig overpopulation that hurt the ecosystem.

well man, growing near the boarder with Mexico does not sound like such a bright idea... did you guys really think it was secure?

also, be careful with lying about being students at x or y place, you never know who are you talking to and whether or not they can call bullshit on your story. if anyone asks again, whether leo or hunters, tell them you are there to pray, you like the quiet and enjoy nature, what seems to be the problem? people will leave you alone real soon.

why did you guys were carrying that map with soil info anyways? too obvious imho. all that info should be stored in the head.

much peace!