What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

We grow vegetable gardens too! Post your Garden pics here

Littleleaf

Veteran
Some very sweet gardens here:tiphat:

What I have is a ghetto style green house made with sucker rod and a pipe fence. There always been a small veggy garden in the spot,I've just did a little upgrade.
We're growing 8 types of tomatoes to find witch one grows here the best. 4 types of cucumbers again to see. Sweet corn 2 types, okra red and green,4 kind squash, gourds, radishes, 7 beans.
Need to get the shad cloth up this week end, we get a ton of sun here.

a few pics

Attachments

• garden2.jpg
    garden2.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 22
  • garden5.jpg
    garden5.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 14

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Littleleaf- I like the gheto and like employing whats around to farm. We already overpay for food, why overpay to grow it yourself as well. Thanks for stopping in and posting. Looking forward to seeing progress. Does look like you get a ton of sun there!

Donald Malard- Like how you do hilled rows of ganga I saw on a visit to your album.

STUNKY

lol yeah I thought to myself I have never seen a tomato cage like that.. if it works why not,just don't poke a eye out..

O

OrganicOzarks

Some very sweet gardens here:tiphat:

What I have is a ghetto style green house made with sucker rod and a pipe fence. There always been a small veggy garden in the spot,I've just did a little upgrade.
We're growing 8 types of tomatoes to find witch one grows here the best. 4 types of cucumbers again to see. Sweet corn 2 types, okra red and green,4 kind squash, gourds, radishes, 7 beans.
Need to get the shad cloth up this week end, we get a ton of sun here.

a few pics

Looks like you live in a lush tropical rain forest.:)

Love the ghetto setup. Great use of shit you have around you.

Littleleaf

Veteran
Two years ago it was as hard as rocks,after literary a ton of mulch and setting for a year it is getting better. I all so make charcoal out of wood chips from the dump. That also adds to the look and feel of the soil. It should take one more year and it will grow any thing.

My corn two years ago just by turning the soil was so so but I'll put monies on this year,should be a massive harvest.If I can afford the water.

The dirt in your garden looks killer littleleaf. With all that sun you must have killer corn harvests. Till 2 years ago I couldnt grow corn cuz of some trees that since have been taking out.

Tomatoes, peppers, squash, habenero.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
looks great little leaf,
similar to my tunnels,
i had to put a few central posts in ,
and some aluminium roof battens for ribbing to keep it all solid,
cant really shot pics cause they are too revealing im afraid ...

on looking into the right shade cloth,
i settled on white ,
its only 15% shade , vs the closest green at 30% , which is too much i find ..

ive seen some place around here with red shade cloth ,
but didnt get to find out why , only had my speculations to go on ..

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Tobacco

Tobacco

Here is some tobacco starts picked up at a marijuana dispensary. New addition to the gardens this year. Its either Burly or Virginia. Tobacco has nice big bunches of pink, white, or lavender flowers at the top of the plant in the fall, depending on the strain grown.

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Tobacco

Tobacco

First recognize that there is Tobacco (Whole leaf unprocessed like a tobacco farmer would grow) and "Tobacco Product".
No farmer has ever been prevented from selling his tobacco. there is no regulation concerning the sales of tobacco. Some people are concerned that if it becomes common for smaller growers even back yard growers to do the same it will draw unwanted attention. but there never has been never will be a "Special set of rules that say a farmer can sell tobacco but john doe cannot. It simply does not work that way.

Tobacco Product is regulated to the teeth. Tobacco becomes a Tobacco product by being processed. Just what exactly is Processed is a bit hazy. some will say the entire leaf mid rib and all has to be intact. I have bought leaf tobacco with the mid rib removed. Shredded is definitely considered processed, fermented I have seen in at least one document is considered processed.

Basically to make a long story short it is perfectly legal to grow tobacco although you need licensing and what not to turn it into a product. Also (don't quote me on this) but I think it would be perfectly legal to grow tobacco and sell your whole leaf product to the big boys. shreddinig it into usable product for sales is going to run you a lot of dough.

Now Ive got four plants and when they go to seed there will be enough seeds for a lifetime. seriously. I will certainly be saving some seed for fellow horticulture enthusiasts!:smoke:

Littleleaf

Veteran
Tobacky man I would like to grow some of the Indian tobacco. The real old school stuff. The stuff the first Spanish got from the natives when they first came here.
I've hears it nothing like what is in cigs,it's way stronger.

hope you don't mind another pic of my soon to be over flowing garden. Just wish it would rain for a week down here in the desert.

Attachments

• garden.jpg
    garden.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 17
When I lived in NC I never thought to pull off the road and pick a leaf of tobacco.

I read that when Columbus went to Cuba they gave him a cigar which they called a "Tobac" and that is where the miss-naming of tobacco comes from.

Biosynthesis

Veteran
:biggrin:Excellent use of the chicken manure! You can put a shovelfull in a bucket and add water to make a tea. I prefer the lazy bum method of topdressing and letting it leach into the the soil over time. Topdressing sounds like there could be something to it but is just a fancy word for pitchin' shit.

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Indian tobacco

Indian tobacco

Tobacky man I would like to grow some of the Indian tobacco. The real old school stuff. The stuff the first Spanish got from the natives when they first came here.
I've hears it nothing like what is in cigs,it's way stronger.

hope you don't mind another pic of my soon to be over flowing garden. Just wish it would rain for a week down here in the desert.

Littleleaf- dont mind the pics of your garden at all. Cant wait to see your corn take off. Main staple here man!
Also you mentioned Indian Tobacco. We put in a 1/4 acre of various tobacco some 15 years back. One of the strains was Indian tobacco. Stays shorter. Kinda the Indica of tobaccos. Yes it is very strong. Believe it or not it was the smoothest most smokable out of 4 strains we grew. Its been some time back but I think it has white flowers. No seeds now. Perhaps they still sell the seeds on the internet. But I heard that it is a bit harder to acquire now. Perhaps I will research and post results here. Weather it is historical fact or not, great tale of Tobac'.:tiphat:

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Stingin' nettle/Horsetail fern fermentation

Stingin' nettle/Horsetail fern fermentation

Today mulch got piled in the garden. Stingin' nettle/Horsetail fern fermentation started today. The blurb was posted here compliments of Clackamas Coots. :tiphat:
Here is the site; https://www.frenchgardening.com/tech.html?pid=3164873867231346
So I played french gardener today.

Pulled up stingin' nettle, roots and all n' threw em in a trashcan

Whipped em' into a frenzy with the weed-wacker........

Pulled up some Horsetail Ferns and whipped them up as well.......

This is the nice green matter I ended up with..............

Added 5 gallons of water to make this nice frothy tea........
(next post, outa pics)

Put a piece of plywood to cover it to let it ferment.

Certainly not rocket science. It took me more time to download and post this. The blurb had me at "growth stimulant". I will be spraying fruit trees/ganga etc. with it once a week for 3 weeks. Will also have unsprayed specimens in the control group. To easy........better check out that blurb n' see if something was left out.

Biosynthesis

Veteran
To make a long story short it is plant allies for plants.

Heres a fun but effective idea out of mother earth news magazine I may employ in the garden this year. It will bring in chicken droppings as well as weed that area. One chicken produces 8-11 pounds of droppings per month. 50 chickens = 400-550 pounds of shit a month. Thats up to 2 tons per year! From 50 chickens that pay for themselves in eggs.

OrganicBuds

Veteran
That is a stinging nettle? I have those bastards in my city yard! I hate those things. I always here about you self do-ers foraging for these odd plants and making teas out of them. Never realized they are growing along my back fence in my ally. Thanks for that post, maybe i will make a nettle tea once this wind storm yields.

Latest posts

Latest posts