What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Nomaad Presents- Greenhouse:2010

T

theJointedOne

hey nomaad

decisions decisions decisions

great thread....keep up the good work and we all look forward to seeing how this comes out in the end!

G

guest1ab

hey nomaad..
the #2 looks nice. not sure if aesthetics is a consideration but wouldn't it be mighty conspicuous having a bunch of those smaller GH's in ur backyard?
besides ... don't you have those tents in the $#3D?
KISS (Keep-It-Simple-Stoner .. loll)!

nomaad

Veteran
Sanchez: Its no secret that I am growing ganja here. Many of my neighbors also grow. The Sheriff has been in my garden and if somebody were to set off my alarm, I would call 911. Conspicuity is not a great concern. A bunch of locked greenhouses will be easier to deal with from a security standpoint than my regular outdoor is. Please explain: "besides ... don't you have those tents in the $#3D?" Oh, and thanks for inclusion on your "Best of" list. Hopefully this thread will be chock fulla information for the first time ambitious mofo with greenhouse asprirations. I do appreciate the part about keeping it simple. Infrastructure always winds up more complex than one might have intended. But the KISS paradigm is pretty much what will make me scrap the multiple small greenhouse thing.

Rootwise: I have looked into Atlas greenhouses... The 30 foot is too wide for my space, and 20' wide just doesn't seem right either (which is my main problem with the Conley's option, too.) I really think that 24' wide is where i want to be and the only option that fits my needs is the gothic clearspan... Atlas does have a 10x16 hobby greenhouse that is around $1200 that looks interesting...

Right now, I am leaning toward the 24' gothic. On monday I am going to call them and start negotiating an all inclusive package... fans, shutters, heater, etc...

G

guest1ab

Sanchez: Its no secret that I am growing ganja here. Many of my neighbors also grow. The Sheriff has been in my garden and if somebody were to set off my alarm, I would call 911. Conspicuity is not a great concern. A bunch of locked greenhouses will be easier to deal with from a security standpoint than my regular outdoor is. Please explain: "besides ... don't you have those tents in the $#3D?" Oh, and thanks for inclusion on your "Best of" list. Hopefully this thread will be chock fulla information for the first time ambitious mofo with greenhouse asprirations. I do appreciate the part about keeping it simple. Infrastructure always winds up more complex than one might have intended. But the KISS paradigm is pretty much what will make me scrap the multiple small greenhouse thing.

lol.. hope ur not embarrassed!
$#3D - shed (trying to be discreet, bro, lol!) - to do your "experiments" :D

nomaad

Veteran
thanks danish... but I don't have a GH running... get that post count up! lol.

Anyhow... I have experienced an epiphany. I am going to leave the existing pvc hoop houses where they are and run my main light dep in them in may. Since that was the intended location for the Greenhouse that this thread was going to be about, I am going to have to shift my intentions to another, smaller section of the garden.

I have one 20x20 spot and another 18-20x 24 spot. I might have to move the RV to another spot... Rootwise pointed me back at the Atlas website and i saw the easy grow in the hobby section...

easygrow_pic.jpg

I am now seeing two of the 10x16s or maybe even possible two of the 10x27's or one of each, side by side... with the ability to run two different light schedules.

P

planty

What's up bro I'm in the same situation as you...sorta at 6s and 8s over it all..Do i slap down 4500 for the 12x24 Farmtek kit with heaters shutters fans thermostats etc., or build it with Solexx 4x1000' rolls and 4x4 posts you know? Shit is always up in the air with this hobby but I think that i why I like it so much. I am using it for a different purpose than you, I am just going to get an early start and MAYBE throw some "testers" in there late to see what happens..but that probably won't happen because I'll be a lucky man if I get everything I want out side the size and health I want it to be at on the day I want it all to happen. I'm praying..hope you are too

nomaad

Veteran
planty: If you can get em into the GH by March 15th, you can probably flower one full run with zero light spoofage is you run an 8 week strain.

I have ordered my greenhouse. Its going to be a big surprise regarding my choice of greenhouses. Its a radical shift from what has been discussed in this thread...

HOVAH2.0

it has to be great to grow and be protected by the local law enforcement.... im really thinkin bout moving to Cali...
id go crazy growin ....

is there enough room for 1 more, very quiet grower in your neck of the woods?
to cali. with 13 mothers in the back seat of my car, none stop riding.... i think id make in 4 days none stop, wearing a diaper like that crazy in love NASA chick....

P

planty

Doing light dep isn't of any use to me. I just want to use the green house to get my plants out side and growing a whole month early. The risk of frost is too harsh in my area and I just don't want to deal with doing light dep. I have a decent sized indoor set already. I'm doing out door to get away from the grind and want to use my green house as a stepping stone to beasts. I am already on deck with my mothers and taking clones soon to veg indoors till early may..I plan to go from 10 gallon smart pots in to 300 gallon planters.

Indoors I am going to set up a 8x8 area with a 1k MH vertical in a parabolic hood over 2 3x6 trays. I want to go from 40/80 HortiPlugs to 3" square pots to 1 gallon mesh bottom pots to 3 gallon mesh bottom pots then out doors in to 10 gallon smarties. I am going to keep them on 18 hours of light until they go in to their green house where I'll slowly start stepping the lights down till they match the day cycle on June 1 when they're going to go in to their planters.

nomaad

Veteran
PLanty: here is the problem with that strategy as I see it,. Many (if not most) strains, if put out a month early (April 15th vs May 15th in my area, if this does not apply to you, pardon me) they will begin to flower unless you use supplemental lighting to lengthen the day. Its also not just light... a cold snap in late May-early June last year sent one of my 100% indica strains into flower, even though the photoperiod was right for vegging. This may not apply to you... You may mean that its still too cold in midMay where you live to put them outside.

My plan is to have one round out there on March 1st that will begin to flower immediately. I am going to do all clueberry as its is my fastest finishing strain and should be done around May 1st. At that point I will start vegging my Mom's in the GH along with the clone platoon meant for light dep. Hopefully by May these will be maxed out in 7 gallon pots indoors. I'll veg them ouside in their light dep with supplementl lighting (by may 15th they will no longer need the extra light) until the last week in may when I will begin to pull tarp over them at 8am and 8pm. On May 15th another platoon of clones will be deployed to the greenhouse... these will be the C1 Cough and the Pineapple Cough... If I can get a really great Neville's Haze, I would like to run that out there too. The idea is that these will need the warmth and shelter to finish outside in early to mid- december... They will also need supplemental lighting after Mid november, as we lose our sun behind the mountain by then.

Wow... just had a great idea... I could start to pull tarp on the Greenhouse to force that crop to flower early. Does anybody have any experience with a partial light dep? Would I have to pull tarp for the entire flowering period or could I pull tarp until the outdoor begins to flower and then let things happen naturally? Am I asking for stress related problems with this paradigm?

Obviously, this is all independent of the full season outdoor.

HOVAH: u think you'd make it 4 days across with 13 mothers in the back of the car? if so, i think you should go for it. But seriously, the question you ask is a difficult one to answer... I have tried to answer it a number of times on ICMag in different threads... mostly during OD09 when people were asking it every day.

In 2010 we can expect a whole new crop of cats who want to roll the dice... No reason why you shouldn't be one of them. I can tell you this... there are people here RIGHT NOW, living in motel rooms up and down the 101... They are hunched over their laptops and keep refreshing the listings on craigslist. The second a new property that does not say "NO 215!!!!" that seems to have even the most meager potential for outdoor growing comes online, the poster is sure to receive dozens of calls and emails. Most callers will ask outright if they can grow a forest of ganja and will be declined. Others will be more subtle and actually get invited to look at the property. Some of these properties (especially as we get closer to OD2010) will turn into open bidding wars. The more advance rent money you have to offer, the more likely you are to land a place where you can grow.

I guess it goes without saying that if you have the down payment and good credit to buy a place, you're looking at smooth sailing. There is a ton of land for sale out here in the $100-250K realm that would be perfect for growing. Thankfully, this is not the profile of most people who want to grow ganja, or it would be even more swamped than it is now.

I am going to get a bunch of heat from locals for giving you that open advice. According to many, we're being overrun... but to be honest, I don't see it that way. First of all, I believe that the price of meds is being driven down more by established growers who double and triple their production each year simply because they can than it is by the new growers coming in and taking their shot. Not that the new growers don't contribute at all. I did well my first year and now I throw my hat into the ring with the guys with a bit of experience.

Of the new growers that I have met this year, less than 50% have shown they have"what it takes" to be successful... by operating a successful commercial grow. Generally, these people are successful at whatever they do. They know how to get and crunch the knowledge and develop a working understanding of something, get it done and make it profitable. With the ridiculous drug-war profit margins likely to recede (prices may fall to as low as $1K/lb for your run-of-the-mill outdoor, eventually? comments?) that last bit is going to become more like the wine business than the weed business. Are you massed produced box wine sold in most 7-11's? or renowned like a 2000 year old Tuscan vineyard?

Its not just that every person on the planet who is smart and a hard worker is also a business dynamo. And we are talking about, as a good friend of mine likes to say, "Business 101" out here... that is the direction it is going. Supply, demand, quality, consistency and marketing... and hopefully, ETHICS.

Are you good at these things? Can you run a business? Are you more successful at what you do (whatever it is) than 85 0r 90% of the others doing it? You'll probably make it in the California ganja biz just like you'd make it doing anything else.

P

planty

Sup bro. Have you actually been reading what I'm writing...I am going to have supplemental light in my green house that I step down to match the light cycle and a propane heater regardless of the way I choose to set my green house up so they're all good until they hit their planters in early june when it's good to go. I thought we could establish some kind of beneficial dialog but it seems like you feel like instead of reading what I'm writing and responding you're just skimming it over. Take it easy and have a great season

sackoweed

I took anger management already!!!! FUCK!!!
Veteran
MaaD
Howzit..?? It has been a bit since i been by... How are the plants doing since ya last talked about them? I hope ya got the problem under control lil basid mites suck... bbl peace..

sackO

nomaad

Veteran
Planty: you know what..? i somehow only read the first of your two paragraphs in your last msg. My bad. I am not a skimmer, just missed a part, something I am not prone to. Useful dialog is exactly what I am after in my threads. I admit, i am pretty scattered these last few days as I am trying to get away to El Honduragua for a week before my GH frame arrives. that involves about a million things and a daily trip to town for the unforeseen, etc. I will try to do better.

Sack. Nice to see you. Mites are long since taken care of. The Moms are thriving. I got rid of a lot of plants cuz I didn't have anything to do with them and they were getting too big for my space. I am now running into the problem of not enough light penetration to the lower parts of the plant. I am going to decide between just putting some more t5's sideways in the canopy OR swapping out the overhead t5s for halides and putting the existing t5s sideways in the canopy, or putting a couple of halides in cool tubes... basically, i am going to get more light on them when i get back from the tropics... haven't decided how yet.

nomaad

Veteran
hey planty, how much and what kind of light are you planning on using for supplemental? i am hoping to use the t5's out there...

how big are the final planters going to be? what are you going to do with the Gh once all the plants go outside? i wouldnt be able to look at that big empty greenhouse without running something inside.

P

planty

Sup bro. I'm pretty burnt out on growing..been at it for a minute. Thanks for seeing where I was coming from. I appreciate it. I am going to use plain ol 42W cool white flouros...T5s don't work as well as the regular old 42 watters do...a couple of my friends who have been out door for a long time use em and they're in the multi hundred per year final tally club so I tend to listen to them. I have a decent sized indoor set up (65 lamp) so seeing the little 12x24 green house empty next to the 75x100 growing area I have isn't such a big deal I don't feel like I have to cram something in every little corner instead every area has its purpose and my green house is to give me a very very strong start. All my buddies are on the schedule I posted...clones rooted by march 15, 2 weeks under floros, 1K MH over a 6x6 area in a parabolic hood till early may then they go out under supplemental light. My planters are 6' around and 18" deep.

nomaad

Veteran
to be clear, in early may they are in the greenhouse with 42w 4 foot t12 fluorescents?

interesting... Sounds almost exactly like what I am going to try and do...cept I am going to try to cram a GH run into march and april. and will be running a light dep in two separate hoop houses...

my biggest current concern is whether march will be sunny enough for the Gh run without using serious supplemental lighting.

your planters are probably close to 300 gallons. what is your soil mix?

P

planty

Sup bro..they're not 4' shop light T12s..They're just a real simple lil thing that we get at the hardware store in town.

Yes in early may they go in the green house with fluorescent lights and a propane heater. Good call on the volume. I use a mix like Tom Hill, lots of gypsum/lime, chicken, bone meal, kelp, worm, sunshine mix, grade 4 perlite

sackoweed

I took anger management already!!!! FUCK!!!
Veteran
MaaD
I am sure however you decide will do just fine.. I myself would add the halides and turn the existing sideways... Good Luck i will be back later.. peace..

sackO

nomaad

Veteran
Sup bro..they're not 4' shop light T12s..They're just a real simple lil thing that we get at the hardware store in town.

Yes in early may they go in the green house with fluorescent lights and a propane heater. Good call on the volume. I use a mix like Tom Hill, lots of gypsum/lime, chicken, bone meal, kelp, worm, sunshine mix, grade 4 perlite

I am probably going to use a modified version of Tom's mix this year as well. you really use the quantity of bone meal that his recipe calls for? seems...unreal.