What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How did you get into Cannabis growing?

Acquitted

My ex-husband started growing after he'd learned all he could about buds and strains, structure, tastes, etc from what he bought and smoked. And by 'he' started growing I mean 'we'. At the time it was his passion, and he was a phenom' (lol, as I usually found he was at things that piqued his interest enough) and I was there to listen to what he learned and help with any and all things involved in the plants raising and harvesting. His enthusiasm and joy was my wonder, but it was never my m.o. alone. I couldn't even keep herbs from a windowsill "water and grow kit for dummies" alive!
Well, needless to say (but I will anyway for timeline purposes) he and I split, and I threw myself into my work. Nothing but work and sleep.....sleep forever; if I wasn't disturbed or later pulled from my wallowing by my now fiance. After two years of that work/sleep schedule; too frustrated to even dream of better days or there being a possibility of happiness, I was relieved of my job. Yeah, my chest felt finally capable of taking in air sufficient enough to breath instead of gasp. However, i wasn't happy. I was lost with the time I now had, and the feeling of not being bound to a work schedule, I guess needed or useful.
Taking a look around my house i realized how much I had gone blind to, and how much I really needed to take a break, take back those things I'd forgotten; of which gave me pleasure. I started an ornamental flower garden that replaced/covered the failed koi pond and there was a spark in the dark. So I picked out the soil, the spot, the seeds, and the synthetic Sun, and got to work on the solution to the problem I'd been having of: finding my peace; relying on no instructors, and with only an ability all my own.

b8man

Veteran
UK here. Too many horrible people scamming me with terrible deals. I'm pretty sure I started growing so that I wouldn't have to deal with chavy, wannabe gangster dealers anymore. So I started with a wardrobe and some SK#1 and began down the path of becoming a well rounded grower. 20 years later and I'm still getting a kick out of it.

If we lived in a society where we could buy cannabis from a shop (like in America) I'd never have started growing. And I gotta say, I've spent A LOT of time growing - wonder what I'd have done with that time had things been different.

PDX Dopesmoker

UK here. Too many horrible people scamming me with terrible deals. I'm pretty sure I started growing so that I wouldn't have to deal with chavy, wannabe gangster dealers anymore. So I started with a wardrobe and some SK#1 and began down the path of becoming a well rounded grower. 20 years later and I'm still getting a kick out of it.

If we lived in a society where we could buy cannabis from a shop (like in America) I'd never have started growing. And I gotta say, I've spent A LOT of time growing - wonder what I'd have done with that time had things been different.

My guess is that you'd have spent that time working your ass off to earn enough money for that weed store weed (plus tax), but you'd quickly realize that if you grew the stuff in your home instead of buying it at the shop you would save a ton of money.

rykus

i started growing kinda half by mistake...lol,, was grade 6 r 7 and this kid kept telling us his parents owned super nintendo, my buddy was like dude your full of shit, i know your dad rents the house down from me, and its nintendo not super nintendo, theyre japanese or something.... anyways he told us he'd get us nintendos.... my buddy kind hassled him and he ended up giving us a garbage bag of shake and a seedling in a solo cup....

his mom came in one day like a month later and was like, what the hell are you guys up too?... that will never grow there.... and helped us plant it in a five gallon with a starfish in the green house.

i had done DWC beans in rockwool for a science project so we got some flouros and did DWC with clones we made the next winter in a tv box all gutted.they got root rot n died but we learned.got out first hps in gr9....(mighty mite x durban)x(nlxhazexhawian indica)

ah youth...

LordSteppington

UK here too. Lost my contact and decided to do it myself (2010). Started off with a 400w light in a tent. Moved onto a 2Kw Gavita Pro DE perpetual set up. Now due to landlord bullshit, moving to a 315w CMH in a cupboard.

I'll stop when I am dead :)

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
Its crazy, I remember germination lima beans or something in nyc elementary school.

As soon as I put my first cannabis seeds into a paper towel I had a familiar feeling.

So my story continues when I actually voiced my idea to grow to some friends.

One laughed at me and the other said get a high times.

Soon after, I found out about the tude since Marc got busted. At that time Ghs was the most popular seed company for a noob like myself.

I joined up on the forums and met some chaps from the uk. They were teaching me about the cheese since I was pheno hunting the ghs version.

When I noobed that selection and missed the cheese pheno, I was offered some cheese bx 2's.

They only gave me 1 female and 3 males, so my goal became to find out which male produced the most cheesey seeds.

Since then I have just been popping any seeds from decent weed and chucking right along.

Next segment, my first canna cup...

BrainSellz

Veteran
2008 Willmimgton North Carolina, on the run like no other. A long story short; I was in search for nuggets when I arrived to NC however I was on the run and scared of everybody so I ended up settling on a 40 dollar gram of supposed "kush" from someone I felt I could trust. He knew I was desperate and charged me 40 for the gram, reluctantly I paid for the purple nuggets that were not kush by any means, priceless at this point tho.

The next day im breaking a bong hit up and 1 little lonesome seed popped out and bounced across the table. It was the first seed I had ever found in any "nugget", I was immediately stoked. I was living in an apartment at the time with my girlfriend but that didn't stop me. I told her what happened and what I planned on doing and she was up for it.

I popped that seed and waited 8 long weeks for this slow vegging plant to show me sex...finally, it was a girl. By this time I had ordered my first pack of seeds from Mandala and became a member of IC. After 9 long weeks of flowering I got a little less than an Oz of bud. I stayed in contact with my "friend" and waited patiently for him to need something and sure enough, he hit me up with perfect timing and I hit him in the head with a 120 dollar quarter and got my money x 2 back. Its amazing what gets us on our path.

corky1968

Veteran

My answer:

Well I was introduced to Cannabis when I was a teen by an older family member while doing hot knives with some
black hashish. He also had this Marijuana pocketbook which I can't find anymore and don't even remember it's name.

Anyways, in this book it mentioned getting 2+ pounds per plant from huge plants growing in Mexico or Colombia.
So I figured I could make millions if I grew enough plants like those. This the math I figured back then. LOLZ

$500 a pound (price back then) X 2 pounds/plant = $1000 a plant X 1000 plants = $1,000,000

I still haven't grown a 2 pounder yet or 1000 plants at one time. :laughing:

Yet, I've never really sold any weed ever. I just like breeding my own stuff.

Note:

The funny thing is I wrote that financial stuff of a million dollars and my mother
found it under my bed along with the book. Fuck did she ever freak out.

LordSteppington

My answer:

Well I was introduced to Cannabis when I was a teen by an older family member while doing hot knives with some
black hashish. He also had this Marijuana pocketbook which I can't find anymore and don't even remember it's name.

Anyways, in this book it mentioned getting 2+ pounds per plant from huge plants growing in Mexico or Colombia.
So I figured I could make millions if I grew enough plants like those. This the math I figured back then. LOLZ

$500 a pound (price back then) X 2 pounds/plant = $1000 a plant X 1000 plants = $1,000,000

I still haven't grown a 2 pounder yet or 1000 plants at one time. :laughing:

Yet, I've never really sold any weed ever. I just like breeding my own stuff.

Note:

The funny thing is I wrote that financial stuff of a million dollars and my mother
found it under my bed along with the book. Fuck did she ever freak out.

:biggrin: love this story!

BrainSellz

Veteran
Great little town

Great little town

I love Wilmington, great town.

I hope your legal woes are behind you?
Willmington has a lot of charm but definitely not a charming place to cultivate ganja. Yes my legal path has been served and cleared. :tiphat:

St. Phatty

We tried it in the early 70's outdoors, in Connecticut.

Didn't use fencing. We had about 1000 square miles of rural land to play with, but never really figured it out.

Then tried again in college, in the closet with fluoro's. That got me a "Green Thumb" award at the annual freshman picnic ... I guess word got around. But it was not good pot, and I found I couldn't smoke the available pot and do my more technical homework.

How things have changed !!

Today's pot is GREAT for doing technical work !

Finally, in the early 90's, got my first indoor buds under lights.

I was commuting, so the plants would go 3 or 4 weeks without attention. Still had some tiny buds, my first.

Then finally got some DECENT buddage when I stopped the long distance commute. Had some early SeedBank NL x Haze seeds.

hippy59

I was lucky. I ended up in Hawaii in the late 70s and met a samoid ( misspelld maybe ) who let me grow on a plot on his land. been growing on and off since. I use to sell and smoke but more recently I just grow inside over the winter to stock my coffers. to busy with outside stuff to grow in the summer plus it wont grow well inside during summer and still cant grow outside. if ever it does get legal here in ohio I will likely keep growing inside as I don't really have the spare space outside in my gardens to justify not growing my vegy staples for winter. maybe in a few years when I retire. and sell again. mostly just love growing them.

EastFortRock

I first grew ganja in 1979. Colombian bagseed. Knew nothing about light hours triggering flowering. Harvested a big bag of leaves when freezing weather killed them(no buds) . Those leaves weren't strong , but smoking a whole joint would get me high. Quit growing until this century and now I'm an off and on personal grower. IC mag has been hugely helpful.

EastCoast710

seeds found in a brick of green stinky brick weed is wat got me started. then I took a long break.. and was buying buds from OGDW for a bit. then he offered me some cuts.. and I never looked back.

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
Started growing because this plant is an entheogen, a door into altered states, a psychedelic. Love all these type of plants, the greatest technology on earth.

I always bounce when people smoke and start to act stupid. When I first smoked, we cracked open books, Mishlei (proverbs). The herb of King Solomon.

brown_thumb

I got into it because of illness of self, family and friends. I've yet to have a decent viable crop but I keep trying. When I was young, I tried pot a few times and hated it. Now, times have changed. Declining health of self and others has me giving this a go. I'm growing (trying to grow) high CBD strains.