What's new

Puttin' in work: 10'x15'x8' sealed room-in-a-room, 6000watts of light

Lapides

Rosin Junky and Certified Worm Wrangler
Veteran
Hey guys. A lot of you don't know me, a few of you do. Those who do know me, know that I can surely grow some tasty plants. My rooms in the past have been, well, let's just say ghetto. They worked great and produced very well, but the room itself never looked all that pretty.

So I started hanging out here at IC, gleaning as much info as I could. So, I'm embarking on another adventure.

Watch as I make my dreams come true.

I got a great place with TONS of open space.
picture.php

Another 10'x15' room with another 6k will be going here too, once I get going. Let's start with our floor:
picture.php

picture.php

Lapides

Veteran
Alright, cool. Now let's get some walls put together. Here.
picture.php

Alright. Now slam those walls onto the floor.

(the ceiling to the room is there on the floor nearest you)

Ok, I know, I'm missing one more wall. And I need a way to get in and out. Fine, throw up another wall, with a door in it.
picture.php

That's where I am now. Gotta get the ceiling up there, and that's gonna be a bitch.

That's tomorrow's work.

Updates as they get interesting. Please ask me any questions you might have or leave comments, whatever. I like hearing from you!

Peace

pugnacious

Man I wish I had a spot like that. Im running into some ac or venting issues in my design planning. Ill be tagging this thread. Good luck bro.

samba

Well, this is NOT ghetto for sure! Very impressing so far. Looking forward to see this one grow into a beautiful growroom!

Lapides

Veteran
pugnacious - Hey man, thanks for stopping through. What sort of issues are you having exactly? I may be able to help you, or at least it would help me by knowing what to look out for.

samba - Thanks a lot. Just wait until I get some plants in there!!

Before getting the ceiling up there, I'll be adding reinforcements to hang the hoods. Gonna try to run the electrical tomorrow too. And whatever else I can get done.

I was hoping to get everything done my this weekend, but I won't be getting my visqueen and timers until early next week:( And my girls are starting to get REALLY tall.

Thanks for stopping by. See you all later!

Phillthy

Seven-Thirty
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I built my room to almost the same specs (less watts though) and yours look proper so far. Word of advice for that roof... beam it first then crawl up there and sheet it. Much, much easier.

Lapides

Veteran
Phillthy - Cool bro, glad to know I seem to be on the right track. The ceiling is already put together :(. The sheets are 1/4" luan, so it's not adding that much weight. Besides, I only have to do it once....oh yeah, I have another room coming...ok, I'll see about beaming it first next time :joint:

pugnacious

pugnacious - Hey man, thanks for stopping through. What sort of issues are you having exactly? I may be able to help you, or at least it would help me by knowing what to look out for.

Im in the process of setting up a 6kw.

I live in a place that has brutal heat waves. It gets up to 105+ during the summer when those heat waves roll in. During the winter the weather is ideal. Im running out of amps to run this show as it is, since Im living here along with family. The place has a 100 amp panel. So im considering upgrading it to a 200 amp service, which I heard costs a good amount of money. So I can run a AC also allot of money. So im hitting the drawing board and crunching numbers from that point. Since using cool tubes is not an option.

:dueling:

Lapides

Veteran
pugnacious - yeah that is some tough shit to deal with. It gets in the mid to upper 90's at the most here, which still makes it challenging. And since you're only working with 100amps I can see how you're having issues. Well, I doubt you're using 6k for herb just for your head, I'm sure you can get that service upgrade and a/c financial stuff worked out ;) You said cool tubes are not an option? What about air cooled hoods...I'm using them and they are great for keeping temps down.

Phillthy

Seven-Thirty
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Phillthy - Cool bro, glad to know I seem to be on the right track. The ceiling is already put together :(. The sheets are 1/4" luan, so it's not adding that much weight. Besides, I only have to do it once....oh yeah, I have another room coming...ok, I'll see about beaming it first next time :joint:

You're ok then. I used 2x6's for the roof, sheeted with 3/4in osb. Can you say heavy? Once I handled the materials I though it best to not pre-assemble the roof and do it once pice at a time ;) Best of luck to you.

Will this be a veg and flower spot? I cut mine to be 4x8 veg and 10x8 flower.

G

Guest 18340

WoW! Lotsa space you got there. Can i ask why you're building boxes instead of using that room the boxes are in? Just curious.

That is looking really good, man. My rooms always used to look ghetto too, cause I seriously suck at building shit. Now I got a partner w/ a background in construction, so I let him handle that sort of thing, and I just worry about growing the plants :D.

thecarguy

Split AC for cooling, are you cutting holes for your airduct hoods?

Also, what is your method for sealing and insulating?

Looks great so far.

kp^

Wow! That's almost my design that I've been working on. Mines in a garage, and planning on a 2 room system.. The main room, and then a lung room... Great job dude!!! :smoke:

I've got a 10' x 10' x 8' space, and its gonna be 2400w on 240v. :) I ordered all the lumber today, should be delivered tomorrow, and this weekend I'll be building!

I'm just building a flat roof with 2x4's, and will sheet the entire outside of it. I'm concerned about noise, so was thinking about 3/4" MDF, and then panda poly everywhere else. I can sheetrock, but would rather not.. I think its more hassle, then what I want. :) I'm def sitting on this one!

Lapides

Veteran
What's crackin' everyone? Thanks for all the positive vibes; they really help work go much happier.

Phillthy - Thanks for the wish of luck!!! So far, so good. I only wish I could bring myself to put in more than a 3 or 4 hour work day! This room will be just for flowering. Veg room will be built soon. It's probably going to be about 10'x10', maybe smaller, as I haven't completely thought out my veg scheme and schedule. I know that will get worked out within the next week.

headiez247 - Thanks bro. I've seen your garage, very nice as well :joint:

Neuronaut - Hey, thanks for the compliment. Just two of us working on it!

Che - Thanks a lot man. Stick around for sure, I really think this is gonna be nice.

Philosophelon - I know exactly what you mean. I tried the partner thing and he drove me nuts. But he's a great friend and a master carpenter. So I ditched him as a partner but preserved the friendship. He agreed to let me blindfold him when we go to the worksite and he works for free!! I asked him yesterday how much he was gonna charge me and he said, "Don't worry about man, I'm having too much fun!" You really can't beat that.

kp^ - Awesome man, I can tell you're excited. I know the feeling. Sheetrock is heavy and I wouldn't want to work with it all day, I'm a pussy and hate busting my ass, LOL. Your plan sounds good so far though! Thanks for tagging in.

Pittsburgh Kush - Solid indeed bro. My current mother and veg area is back at the ghetto op. I'm killing off all my moms and starting fresh ones, but I can snap a pic of the little ladies going into this new room tonight when I go see them.

Marlo - This is fun to make happen!

If I missed anyone, sorry, I'm baked.