What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Inexpensive, Wet/Dry, Veg/Flower, 8-Minute CBD Test You Can Do At Home!

Mystic Funk

Couple things...... getting ready to order some KOH. It is available in flakes and beads. Would you recommend one form over the other? The NaOH I have is beads and it's very convenient to work with in these tiny quantities. The 'beads' are very small. More like round grains of salt.

Getting ready to order so I can have both and I was just wondering if flakes are better or worse than beads.

And, another thing Mr. Funk. Don't underestimate the knowledge we little people have. At 65 years old, I know what to mix and what not to mix........

You can mix whiskey and beer.

But, you can't mix whiskey and wine.

You can mix beer and wine but you have to drink the beer first (kind of like acid and water).

See. I know what to mix and what not to mix. ;)

LMAO

As always, thanks to both the thread leaders for all your sharing. :)

hey Ringo
i don't think it matters as long as its a pure source. i have the flakes just because,... no reason other than the description said they were very high quality and pure lab grade.
don't get me wrong, i'm not saying anyone is dumb here or anything and i don't trash on people because they don't know something or just to make myself seem smarter than anyone else.
i'm only here to help you guys when you need it and doing so makes my happy. :) BTW, i'm half your age and i'm sure you have a lot more wisdom than i do that i couldn't possibly comprehend. so we're equals in my book.

good luck with your projects guys and i'll pop back in to see the progress later.:dance013: i don't want to ware out my welcome here if i haven't already done so...? LOL!

peace!
-mystic:tiphat:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
So, Ringo... which method do you prefer for CBD and why? Been out of it here for a while. Now I have lots of CBD and stress, lol and working on reducing the stress. Started the edit on my book and it's so much easier with CBD. Yaaaay!

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I have been busy too so the testing has been neglected. However, I did do some last night and I am still having some inconsistent results from test to test. Plus, there is a time factor to read the colors in both tests. If you leave them in overnight, most samples will turn dark purple.

I did run some tests to determine the difference between decarbing first and not decarbing at all. Oddly enough the color was darker in the non-decarb'd samples. And, probably shouldn't be unless we are measuring CBD acid and not CBD.

I am still playing with it. The THC test seems to work fine and only works on decarb'd weed. I would love to come up with a test for butter or oil but every test I have tried just turns to goop. LOL

Douglas.Curtis

Crazy...

So, would you say the best comparative results would be done with simultaneous tests, or would controlled lighting photos against a white background work better? I'm thinking photos would make comparisons easier, especially if you were looking at doing 10 or more tests at once. Get some volunteers to help. heh

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I definitely do simultaneous tests and observe them every hour.

I also noticed a cross contamination problem last night that has been affecting my tests. I used the same eye dropper over without rinsing it and the effect was noticed immediately.

Even when I rinse them, I noticed some cross contamination. So, from now on, it's a different eye dropper for each sample and each solvent. Then, throw them away. I guess that's why they are so cheap.

I have found the same problem with anything plastic. Including the little 1.5 ml centrifuge vials I use. Poo poo on plastic. Glass rinses fine.

Albeit, the plastic stuff is so cheap, I shouldn't be re-using it anyway.

Both of the tests work awesome. There is (as with anything) a small learning curve. I am pretty happy with results measured in none, some and a lot.

I have tested leaves vs bud and the results were very nice gradient shades showing just what was expected.

I see spectrometers coming into home user price range. :)

Douglas.Curtis

Awesome!
I was wondering about the plastic bottles you were using. Yes, glass does rinse clean... make sure to rinse/wipe the cap well also. :D

Home spectrography sounds awesome.

What were those thc tests people used back in the day, before labs? I know people still use them, I've seen growers put their estimates up against labs. But damn if I can't remember what they are called...

G

Gr33nSanta

how about using your senses? Since I have grown and lab tested high cbd low thc cultivars, I have a lot of experience smoking cbd weed. I feel I can tell whether a plant has significant amount of cbd or not. I think the same is true for thc and that is exactly how we have high thc cultivars, growers have started selecting for high thc cultivars hundreds of years ago if not more, using their senses.

brown_thumb

how about using your senses? Since I have grown and lab tested high cbd low thc cultivars, I have a lot of experience smoking cbd weed. I feel I can tell whether a plant has significant amount of cbd or not. I think the same is true for thc and that is exactly how we have high thc cultivars, growers have started selecting for high thc cultivars hundreds of years ago if not more, using their senses.

Awe c'mon Gr33n... you're just trying to get us all to send you free samples for "testing".:biggrin:

SweetSue

Gentlemen, this is intriguing. I’ll stop back later to read through or send someone else to glean the info. Thank you for this.

frostqueen

In some cases this might be enough. That said, many of us are trying to measure the amount of CBD present here, not how we feel after consuming it. Terpenes and other co-factors can influence how it feels, too, which can complicate things.

Additionally, using a smoke test for 50 or 100 sister plants all at once in early veg isn't practical. The idea is to have a standardized way to be sure that high CBD is present.

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
cool thread! :)

ive never tried the isopropyl + sodium hydroxide version before, I wasn't aware of it until this thread

but I have been using the standard Beam's test of potassium hydroxide and ethanol (i just use cheap methylated spirits which is 95% ethanol).

I do already have sodium hydroxide and isopropyl, so the next time i do Beam's test i'll try both side-by-side. :)

Here is a Beam's test and Thin Layer Chromatography i did last week... these are only about 1-2 minutes old at the time of the scan:
Beams_Test_Triple.jpg

The CBD therapy is a 1:1 CBD:THC.
The Cinderella99 is just lots of THC.
The Dinamed CBD unfortunately is also just lots of THC, no CBD. (This was my 2nd Dinamed... the first one was a 1:1)

See the link in my signature for more info about both Beam's test and Thin Layer Chromatography

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
Loving the TLC photos! So much more informative. :D
yeah at the end of the day it's only a TLC that gives me true confidence, but Beam's test is so quick and simple that it makes a really good FILTER to decide if you even want to bother doing a TLC. Complementary tests!

Trich_Tyson

Very interesting. Subbing to read later. I’ve been taking some cbd tincture and decided I should probably grow my own lol. Shits expensive

JorgeGonzales

Alright, so I just tested 5/5 Dinafem strains I have on hand, three are Dinafem "CBD" autos (Amnesia, Industrial Plant, and Cheese), the other two are Critical + 2.0, and Critical Jack autos.

All three CBD strains turned purple almost immediately, as soon as the isopropyl, lye and bud started mixing. Critical + 2.0 is described as "low CBD" by the breeder and stayed clear as a bell. Critical Jack is described as "medium CBD" and turned a barely perceptible purplish hue by the end of the test.

Say whatever you want about accuracy, that's batting 1000 in my book, both for the test and Dinafem.

https://imgur.com/a/PUoP5bE

Douglas.Curtis

Alright, so I just tested 5/5 Dinafem strains I have on hand, three are Dinafem "CBD" autos (Amnesia, Industrial Plant, and Cheese), the other two are Critical + 2.0, and Critical Jack autos.

All three CBD strains turned purple almost immediately, as soon as the isopropyl, lye and bud started mixing. Critical + 2.0 is described as "low CBD" by the breeder and stayed clear as a bell. Critical Jack is described as "medium CBD" and turned a barely perceptible purplish hue by the end of the test.

Say whatever you want about accuracy, that's batting 1000 in my book, both for the test and Dinafem.

https://imgur.com/a/PUoP5bE
Appreciate you posting your results. Glad it worked out well. :D

bugman52

Bug Scissor Hand
Veteran
I run the HP (heul Perkins cut). His pheno tested highest out of what He or the previous growers pheno hunted and tested.

i used the perkins cut of cannatonic to make gorilla tonic ,i have medsine cookies i grrew from seed , i need to do this test
thanks for the info on how to do a cheep & easy way to test for CBD,S .
now if someone can figer out how to test THC at home ide be real greatfull not ligel here:tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts