What's new

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

shithawk420

Veteran
First of all this is awesome.thanks for sharing.but are you saying you get different highs based on the type of corn husks you used? How is this possible?

Fermentations an amazing thing. It apoears to alter the chemistry somewhat. It's like how every one of my bottles of kombucha are slightly different by the slightest difference in ingredient amount used. Similar thing is happening here. I'm very interested because you could never smoke tobacco the way we smoke cannabis, and there are so many positive reports, its gotta be done. That stuff looks great bold as love!

Tangwena

Veteran
First of all this is awesome.thanks for sharing.but are you saying you get different highs based on the type of corn husks you used? How is this possible?

Hi my friend the different highs come from fermentation (sweating) times and the vacuum sealing times plus aging times and variation of them.
The different wrappers just effect the way the fermentation occurs.
Corn for instance makes a very sweet taste and sweats well, banana bark is less sweet but sweats more, due to being thicker and taking longer to dry out.
Banana leaf is thin but denser than corn husks and so on, they all produce different sweats, hence different results. You can even use thick brown paper,it is different again.
Tangwena

Tangwena

Veteran
How are people consuming these cobs? Do you have to grind before smoking/vaping. Do they burn to white ash or tend charcoal up.?

hi my friend most people smoke it like a cross between hash and buds, I used to use my thumb nail to chop it into small pieces and then make a match stick thin joint, but grinding and vaping or smoking works just fine, it actualy burns very fast when dried.
If its good you dont need more than one or two deep drags, any more and its way to much.
I now only chew the cured cob into dust in my mouth before washing the dust down, I use a piece the size of a bean if its compacted, double that if its not. I have very intense trips that last all day easily.
chewing jar cured buds is nowhere near as intense for me, and smoking them is not as strong either.
Tangwena

So here is my first cob (and a half).

I let them sweat for a day and then vac sealed them.
This is my Zamaldelica II which I chopped early due to a few nanners, so I expect a pretty racy, wild ride. Maybe the cob can calm the racy side down a bit.
Next time I'll try and make them a bit thicker and pack them tighter. The vac sealing compressed them a lot, so they must have been a bit loose I guess. The big one is roughly 1.5oz bud. Small one has everything sub par in it.

Tangwena, thanks again once more for showing us the light!

ZD

Attachments

• cob4.jpg
    cob4.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Tangwena

Veteran
Looks neat ZD, was it wet when it came out of the sweating? It should have felt damp and the bag wet from perspiration. If not remove it from the vac bag and sweat it until its wet inside the plastic bag then vac seal it.
That way you will get the best results, good luck my friend and I hope you enjoy the results.
Tangwena

shithawk420

Veteran
Ah,I think I understand Tangwena.thank you for explaining.it just so happens I live where they grow lots of feed corn.I assume it would not be as desire able as most husks? How do you know which husks to use? Sorry if this has already been discussed.

Tangwena

Veteran
I dont think it would matter that much, but I do like the sweet taste the sweet corn husks impart.
i have some Golden tiger buds I sweat cured that smell most amazingly like honey.
I have not tried them yet but next week i will give them a run.
Every one of the buds i have cured are all getting their own special smell, totaly different to the jar dried buds that are very green still.
They seem to change for the better each week when I inspect them. I have a GT from 2013 thats so strong and smells of oily lemon, but the 2015 cob cured smell of honey and spice, and the sweat cured but not cobbed smell like wild honey. This is a first for me I have never got this smell before. The end of this month will be aged 3 months for all my cobs and time to get stuck in and see how high i can go ha ha.
Tangwena

Holeshot

Hey Tang. Tried my Malawi fem last night. She was cobbed in large bamboo leaves , the smell and taste has improved also.(she had a very strong old oil smell) I haven't been smoking much due to work.Boy had about 4 decent hits of a chocolate blunt and I was gone . Usually I would smoke the whole thing, had about a quarter and had to put it out. Had trouble finishing water my girls and had to go to bed . Whacked.!!!!!

Tangwena

Veteran
Ha Ha yes the first thing you will have to learn is moderation when using cobs you did well to get to 4 hits!.
I used to say the first gets you high the second gets you higher and if you have a third you will regret having the second ha ha.
Man I had some chapter5 Malawi in Africa walking across a field I had one hit and past the joint to my mate I thought"shit I am high" and then he past the joint back to me and i had difficulty picking it up as my fingers were not working properly, I had a second hit and the view I had of the field folded as if it was a photograph into steps up. I was trying to walk up them, stepping up in the air. It was as if I was flying fast, the wind was howling in my ears, I was tripping so badly.
I dont know what happend to my mate we both split up and only found each other the next day. That was from 2 draggs of a pin joint.
If you use the right buds, harvested late, sweated well then aged it can be like a whole different world, as my friends say its not like cannabis its better ha ha.
Tangwena

Filling for the next cob is getting ready, Zamaldelica again. 95 days in so far and done throwing pistils:

ZD

Attachments

• z1 3.jpg
    z1 3.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 22
  • z1 1.jpg
    z1 1.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Hi ZD leave her for another week no water, she will amaze you.
Tangwena

Well, she will probably get the chop on the weekend. She has been looking pretty ready for a while now but I'll have a very close look before I chop her.

Having read so much about fermentation I thought it might be worthwile to try something slightly different so I'm experimenting with the fermentation of fan leafs.

As I don't want any tobacco in the mix I thought fan leafs might do the job.
I let the fan leafs wilt a tiny bit, a day or so, just that they get a bit limp, still very moist. Then I put them in a jar so they wouldn't get compressed too much. I perforated the lid so the vac sealer could suck out (hopefully enough) air.

I did one glass about two weeks ago. The leafs are very slowly changing colour and the good news is I can't see any mold (yet).

Here is a pic of the freshly sealed jar.

I'll keep you posted on any developments if you are interested (don't want to hijack your thread).

ZD

Attachments

• ferment fan leaf.jpg
    ferment fan leaf.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Levitationofme

Excellent Read

Excellent Read

I just found this thread. I'm Loving it.
Always something interesting and new to learn around here.
I will finish reading this thread and get a trial going ASAP

Let postulate some boob ended up with some commercial buds with a few Pips thru out
the buds. Would it benefit from additional cobb curing?
:biggrin:

Tangwena

Veteran
I just found this thread. I'm Loving it.
Always something interesting and new to learn around here.
I will finish reading this thread and get a trial going ASAP

Let postulate some boob ended up with some commercial buds with a few Pips thru out
the buds. Would it benefit from additional cobb curing?
:biggrin:
The problem is getting the buds before they have dried. If they are still moist enough to sweat, yes it would work.
Tangwena

H

hard rain

Here's my first attempt. I started quite wet like sforza did. No way would i have considered this stuff smokeable or able to be jarred. Just dry slightly on the outside. I wrapped about 25 grams of 15 week kali mist in a ziplock bag tightly rolled with rubber bands around it for 2 days (ok next time I will try corn cobs). Next vacuum packed. This was how i looked when I checked it after 2 days.

Came out wet and a weird sweet smell, not unpleasant.
The other bud in the photo was taken at the same time, same plant but no sweat process. Vastly different colour.

Last edited:

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi Hard rain that looks good after drying a little aging she should be good. You can smoke it a fter drying but leaving it to age for a month or two will mature the high.
It seems you guys are having better results with moister buds, it is hard to describe the correct time to start sweating it all depends on the density of the buds, practice will make perfect. But for know that should give you something to compare to your jarred buds at least.
Looks good from here, nice job for a first shot. Thanks to Sforza for paving the way in the USA.
Tangwena

Latest posts

Latest posts