What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Indian Landrace Exchange strains

hamstring

Veteran
6 New pure Afghani indica landraces from Indian Landrace Exchange 2020 Durand Line project available on ACE Seeds website!
Fruit of the amazing documentation job of local domesticated strains, carried out by ILE last year in the South of the country (bordering with Pakistan) .

I have selected the 6 the most promising ones based on their quality, but also on their resistance, since South Afghanistan had a very early cold wave last year in mid flowering of the plants that frozen the farms in many areas, but some genetics in other areas thrived and finished properly.

The stock is extremely limited and took its sweet time to arrive to Spain. So here they are:

Arghandab II

Arghandab, Kandahar (Farm #2). Lat : 31 44’ ’N 65 45 ’E. Altitude: 1000-1200 meters.

The majority of the farms in Kandahar have a diverse looking, hap hazard mix of just about every expression but still mainly dominated by the broad leaf short statured plants. These farms usually work in 2 different ways, where either they let everything cross pollinate in the field regardless of characteristics or say without artificially selecting or attempting to narrow down anything in particular, which results in a diverse looking population overtime. While a yet another way some farms manage their crops here in Arghandab District is by importing seeds from either Northern Plains or Hindu Kush regions to grow alongside the seeds they made last season, this is perhaps one of the most favoured options in places like Kandahar where the chillum house culture is a lot more prevalent compared to the Northern provinces.

The soil around the Arghandab district is highly calcareous, typically featuring an avg. ph of above 7.0, yet the local microbiology of soil seems to help the plant to still be able to take up nutrients in a seamless and profuse manner, which translates in the form of tremendous overall growth. The glacial streams also plays an important role in supplying the trace minerals to the soil, which are typically transported as the water travels down into the valley, although farmers do fertilize their own fields with cow dung manure on an annual basis before sowing the seeds for cannabis, tomatoes, eggplants, squash, etc ...

At the farm #2 in the Arghandab District, the farmer who doesn’t select for any particular characteristics and collects seeds at random from all the healthy plants for the next season. As a result his crops seems to have a ton of variability amongst the physical embodiment and features of the overall population, such as leaf shape, texture, broadness, over all structure including lateral branching, amount of stretch, flowering duration, etc ...

This crop was documented at the beginning of November at the peak of its flowering, thriving strongly and unaffected by the cold, where it expressed intense reddish and violet tones, along with very musky, perfumed and spicy (cloves, cinnamon bark and coriander) aromas, pine needles too.

The intra-population diversity we had identified and documented in the farm #2 could also be seen through the various different ways the plants were flowering in, with a number of different shades and shapes. Mostly the plants had acquired a short squat structure but one of the common themes amongst them all were the huge and chunky buds shooting up like missiles from a silo.

The resin production was about par but not extraordinary, although the smells coming off of those buds were extremely intense and the resin imparts an absolute blinder of a high, which is definitely not recommended for the casual users. The effects from this crop were extremely sedative in nature and couch lock inducing. This type of intense medicinal effects could potentially be useful for conditions like pain and insomnia.

Flowering indoors: 11-13 weeks.
Ripening outdoors: November.

https://www.aceseeds.org/en/brands/indian-landrace-exchange/arghandabiikandaharseeds.html

View attachment 17862485 View attachment 17862484
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==
(Arghandab II)

I cant figure out how I missed this. I am a couch lock fan because of my A.D.D. personality. I cant sit still for too long. I did a search and cant find any grow reports. Did anyone grow this or purchase seeds? Hey, Dubi do these seeds exist anymore? I would have loved to take swing at these.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Welcome to ICMag PaperClip :) Glad to see you growing Hopar Selection #2 and that you got perfect germination rates. Please, keep us updated.

Hi hamstring thanks for your interest. Arghandab II and the other genetics from Durand line 2020 project are no longer available.
I would recommend you to take a look to the new Balochi indicas just announced like Red Baloch and Baloch Kanak pink stigma.

musigny23

Ok here is a Hopar Valley #2. I noticed the #2 plants sexed sooner than the #3. Not sure if that would be consistent as my sample size of 6 seeds (3 each, #2, #3) is small. This plant is just about 90 days old and it looks like it might possibly be beginning to transition from veg to flowering. Seems a little soon.

WerHUdB.jpg

PaperClip

Dropped the 2nd pack of Hopar Valley #2s in water tonight. One more pack to go.

Starting them on 18/6 under led (don't have t5 set up yet) for now. Might get t5 up in the next couple days.

Plan is to flip to 11/13 in a couple weeks and try and select 3-7 males and keep all the females. Any standouts from the beginning might get cuts taken but plan is to reveg any mom like females. No matter what I'll have a ton of f2s to sort through and hopefully a couple clones.

Once I get the f2s, I'd like to run some 2Pak (Vintage Pakistani x '79 Christmas Tree Bud) to chuck some 3 way Paki f1s eventually (2-5 years down the road most likely).

herbgreen

Veteran
oh, I know that chemical in the black plastic bag

I use paper bag first if you get stuck like that again

Yeah, scent wont even cover the weed anyway...Its just not designed for marijuana

Paper bags...Practically designed for marijuana!:smokeit:

herbgreen

Veteran
Yeah, must watch out for that chemical before buying plastic bags

Its for people that throw organic matter food waste in their garbage can

We really need people to compost organic waste

Stop with the odor control chemicals in black plastic bags

Even w/plain non-scented plastic bags still use paper bag inside

The Paper bag is a Friend of Marijuana :biggrin:

Last edited:

musigny23

A pleasure to see you growing Hopar @musigny23 and Kandahar Black @Azure hopefully we can see some beautiful flowers of each strain finishing at the end of the season.
Hi! I decided to give it a try. As I live a km from the ocean, growing broadleaf types from drier climates can often end in botrytis disappointment but if I get good weather conditions sometimes they do ok. I have Hopar #2 and #3 going. Hoping for the best.

Rurumo

Ok here is a Hopar Valley #2. I noticed the #2 plants sexed sooner than the #3. Not sure if that would be consistent as my sample size of 6 seeds (3 each, #2, #3) is small. This plant is just about 90 days old and it looks like it might possibly be beginning to transition from veg to flowering. Seems a little soon.

WerHUdB.jpg
How are your Hopar Valley plants doing?

musigny23

This is to follow up on my post earlier in the season of my Hopar Valley plants. I've had two #2 and two #3 going. These two are near each other in the sunny hot zone of my garden. The other two are over on the other side which gets a little shorter sun exposure and is a bit less hot. You can see quite a change from the broad green leaves during the vegging period.

They are closing in on finishing. I know on forums everybody talks about weeks of flowering but I don't use that metric. I don't grow indoors so for me what is meaningful is the approximate date a type can be expected to finish. So with these, for me, I can say mid to late September.
Three of the four are fairly close to each other in maturity and nearly fully finished although there is a bit of variation on each plant. Some branches are a little different from others but not enough to stagger the harvesting branch by branch. One plant appears like it could go 10-14 days longer than the other 3. It's the only one not in the ground so maybe that has something to do with that. It's in very different soil than the other three.

Here is a Hopar #2. This spot is very sunny and can get hot on clear sunny days. The root zone is limited a bit by the soil being about a 25 - 30 cm deep. It's also surrounded on two sides by wild berry vines which can send invasive roots into the root zone. Every spring I have to dig around and cut away berry vine roots creeping into the hole. Kind of a pain but necessary. The scent on this is not fruity or skunky. Very hard to put in words. I'm going to wait to see where the scent ends up after drying.

CkAffI1.jpg

Close up of a side branch bud.

XYW2oEG.jpg

Here is the fabric potted plant. It's a Hopar #3. Just a few meters away. Also very sunny hot spot. No colors in the buds but the leaves have some reddish purple. Slightly shorter and fewer branches but the fabric pot might have affected that.

Bxft8HI.jpg

A close up. You can see that there are still many new pistils happening. My growing conditions are quite different from where these come from and while of course there is a resemblance to the plants in the Full Power catalog, mine seem much less colorful. It's been very warm here this year. Warmer than normal. That seems to be keeping them greener than in the 2500 meter high mountain valley they are from. Although, Hopar is at 36° Latitude and I'm at 37°, nothing else about my location compares. The two plants on the other side have more color.

xUExNgn.jpg

musigny23

I just posted about two of four Hopar Valley plants in the sunny hot zone of my garden. Here are the two (one #2 and a #3) over in the shorter sun slightly cooler zone. They're getting very close to finished but I'm letting them max out. I think these two happen to be a bit closer to photos in the Full Power catalogue than the other two. On the east side of my property, my neighbors trees block or filter morning sun on these till mid day. That might be a bit like how things are in the Hopar where Karakoram mountain peaks block direct sun till well after sunrise.

This is the other #2. The #2s both confirmed sex slightly ahead of the #3s and got slightly better spots in the garden. This one looks more like the catalog photos. The top colas are beefy on this one. Also the bud bracts have color. The other two plants have less color so as usual cooler temps bring out colors. This one also has a more spare structure. Fewer branches but the largest colas.

6SSXAUh.jpg

These are bud close ups of this one. Maturation is a bit uneven as some buds have more new pistils than others, especially at the top tip. If you look down the branches at the lower buds, all those are done. Pretty much no new white pistils lower down the branches. So I'd say this one could be taken but I'm going to leave it just a little longer. Seems like it's adding some weight at the tops. Classic broad leaf structure and colors although this valley is quite some distance from the most of Afghanistan and it's legendary broad leaf areas.

Uuw3jQ4.jpg

bLxndQC.jpg

This is the other #3 and it's quite different from the one in the fabric pot in the sunny hot zone. Last to confirm sex and in the spot that gets the least direct sun. You can see it's at the edge of the garden by the trees. It's the last to see clear direct rays as the day progresses. This happens to be a very late afternoon photo. I wonder how this one would have been in a better spot? It's fine but would it have been much larger? Very "hashplant" in size and structure. Simple branching, nicely stacked buds of the sort people look and breed for. Some buds have few new pistils and some are still producing new ones but it's very close I think. I tend to go for almost no new white pistil production to declare full "ripeness" but it taken now, I doubt anyone would be calling it premature.

5ceZee7.jpg

This is the main stem top. Still swelling with growth I'd say but getting there. Like the one next to it, lower down the buds aren't really putting out new pistils but I think some bract swelling is happening. Maybe this is the unexpected winner? Since I have no indoor space and don't grow indoors, I can't and don't take cuts to have once I see each seed's phenotype. I just can't deal with that but I certainly have seen some truly great phenos pass through. I've tried to get people to take and preserve cuts but they always have their own thing they're more interested in which is usually some sort of trendy super polyhybrid with a silly name

tzGP8CW.jpg

Rurumo

That last pic definitely looks like the winner! Thanks so much for posting these pics, you have the best pics of Hopar Valley #2 on the internet right now. Can you give us an idea of what they smell like? With the flooding in Pakistan, I wondered how the Hopar Valley fared, and it seems they too were hit hard by the flooding. I hope the farmers who supplied these seeds made it to safety with their families. I'm really looking forward to popping these after seeing your pics, you've really done a beautiful job with your plants.