What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone growing in perlite only?

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
Hey IC, I've been growing in coco for a couple of years now, watering several times per day with run-off DTW I'm going to do things differently next round, I want to grow in pots of perlite. Becasue I'm growing SOG, 25 plants per 1K, I need very little veg time and I'm having a hard time filling my pots with roots because of such a short veg. I'm thinking that perlite will allow me to grow some fast roots because of the high aeration of the medium, I have a buddy with the same setup and he's killing it although I haven't talked to him in a while.

I have searched the forums and done a good bit of reading but there isn't a lot of information out there. I've always grown drain to waste but this time I'm going to recirculate. I'm looking to hear from any of you guys that have grown with pots of perlite, how many times do you like to water per day, what is the best PH range, do you root in perlite or RW, any general information that I can soak up :biggrin:

I look forward to hearing from you perlite pros :tiphat::tiphat:

Stay Classy!
HGO

DunHav`nFun

Aight....Before I get the dawg and head out , go check out the 6 plants for PPK thread right here in hydro section....

Almost positive Av8or and Delta 9 are running perlite and recirculating somewhat in their new and improved PPk`s....think they`re feedin like a quart every 15 minutes 24/7 lights on AND off but don`t hold me to it , go see cuz I AM getting Oldtimer`s disease...:moon:....

Peace....Freds....:ying:.....

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Type in Hempy in thread title search. Several forum topics regarding growing with vermiculite/perlite.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I dono shit about SOG or perlite but wouldn't you get more root density in coco if you ran plants in containers half the size ure using?

Perlite bags is one of the few substrates we havent tried. It should work quite well as long as everything in your room works.

What scares me if the lack of water retention. If a pump were to stop doing its job just for a period of time that could be an issue. Other than the retention issue perlite will provide a good structure for root development. Id wash it well if you are going to recirculate.

You will want your pH the traditional hydro range...5.8-6.0

Last edited:
I've definitely read of people flower successful with just perlite. Most say a mix of vermiculite and perlite, though not sure reasons. Wondering if your against expanded clay? Perlite is ridiculously cheaper of course but as someone already mentioned it's floaty.

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
x- amount of vermiculite slows down the daily watering needs.

I use 2/1 perlite/vermiculite + a pinch of blood meal.

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
Aight....Before I get the dawg and head out , go check out the 6 plants for PPK thread right here in hydro section....

Almost positive Av8or and Delta 9 are running perlite and recirculating somewhat in their new and improved PPk`s....think they`re feedin like a quart every 15 minutes 24/7 lights on AND off but don`t hold me to it , go see cuz I AM getting Oldtimer`s disease...:moon:....

Peace....Freds....:ying:.....

Thanks Fred, now get your old ass back in here :laughing:

I dono shit about SOG or perlite but wouldn't you get more root density in coco if you ran plants in containers half the size ure using?

Yes I could do that but a bigger root mass = more respiration, which = faster growing, but more importantly HEAVIER plants :biggrin: lol

Perlite bags is one of the few substrates we havent tried. It should work quite well as long as everything in your room works.

What scares me if the lack of water retention. If a pump were to stop doing its jon just for a period of time that could be an issue. Other than the retention issue perlite will provide a good structure for root development. Id wash it well if you are going to recirculate.

You will want your pH the traditional hydro range...5.8-6.0

Yeah I will be washing the crap out of it before I put it into the system, perlite actually holds a bit of water, I be at the grow twice per day to keep an eye on all the vitals and to do general gardening duties, checking drippers is high on the list of checks.

I've definitely read of people flower successful with just perlite. Most say a mix of vermiculite and perlite, though not sure reasons. Wondering if your against expanded clay? Perlite is ridiculously cheaper of course but as someone already mentioned it's floaty.

Thanks, Bear. I was actually considering expanded clay but there's more wiggle room with perlite, if the pumps/drippers do decide to flatliine :laughing:. Yes it is floaty, I will be sandwitching it with hydroton. A layer of hydroton at the base to assist in drainage, and a layer at the top to limit evaporation. Vermiculite is used because it holds onto more moisture.

So 5.8-6.0 is optimal PH range then fellas? What about perlite size, is chunky better?

Peace,
HGO

That pH range is great.

Perlite will hold a bit of water. Big thriving plants will dry out quickly. Some of our customers water their 15 gal peat moss plants every other day. If you are on top of checking your setup for issues, you will be fine. Substrates that hold a little more water allow you to check a little less frequently :)

If you are recirculating, bigger is usually better. Small insolubles are not good for pumps, wands or drippers. A filter bag for your pump is always a good idea too. Should be able to get one for $8 on ebay or amazon.

DunHav`nFun

Hey Bro....most definitely get the largest most irregular "chunky" type perlite as is available where you are.....Wash the shit out of it and remember it breaks down , so inline filters as well as filter bags for your pumps as has already been stated....

Are you gonna use continuous recirculating juice or timed feeds since I`m not sure where you`re headed with this SOG....

Pretty sure better results will come from timed feeds of smaller amounts at closer intervals to allow constant O2 replenishment to the rootzones as the PPK`ers are doing these days , but again , you said less veg time and pull the trigger , so smaller plants will need a solid rootmass before 12/12 and drying out sequences will help in the aerated perlite....anyways...

Rule of thumb in recirculating hydro is and has always been as plants eat in a dialed setup , ppm`s drop and ph rises gradually......that said , I always set my ph lower since I used big ass rez`s and only went to each location once a week....regardless...

If set at 5.5 the week before , by the time I got back PH was 6.0-6.2 and ppms had dropped at least 100 points if not more in bloomage...I was always taught that the plant assimilates macro`s and micro`s best at different ph levels and it worked well for me buncha yrs.....aight...

Gotta crank up the grill , got fish and shrimp on ice and gf`s hollerin to get it done....

Holler....Freds...:ying:....

OranguTrump

Crotchety Old Crotch
A note of caution - perlite dust is VERY bad for you, rinse it before you use & wearing a dust mask to protect your respiratory system is a good idea.

Sorry to be THAT guy

(I did use perlite in a grow but found it didn't give my mature plants enough support - great for rooting, tho')

Last edited:

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
Hey Bro....most definitely get the largest most irregular "chunky" type perlite as is available where you are.....Wash the shit out of it and remember it breaks down , so inline filters as well as filter bags for your pumps as has already been stated....

Are you gonna use continuous recirculating juice or timed feeds since I`m not sure where you`re headed with this SOG....

Pretty sure better results will come from timed feeds of smaller amounts at closer intervals to allow constant O2 replenishment to the rootzones as the PPK`ers are doing these days , but again , you said less veg time and pull the trigger , so smaller plants will need a solid rootmass before 12/12 and drying out sequences will help in the aerated perlite....anyways...

Rule of thumb in recirculating hydro is and has always been as plants eat in a dialed setup , ppm`s drop and ph rises gradually......that said , I always set my ph lower since I used big ass rez`s and only went to each location once a week....regardless...

If set at 5.5 the week before , by the time I got back PH was 6.0-6.2 and ppms had dropped at least 100 points if not more in bloomage...I was always taught that the plant assimilates macro`s and micro`s best at different ph levels and it worked well for me buncha yrs.....aight...

Gotta crank up the grill , got fish and shrimp on ice and gf`s hollerin to get it done....

Holler....Freds...:ying:....

Thank's bro, yeah you know me, I'm all about getting them roots saturated with 02 so I will be multi-feeding several times per day once I get into flower, I'll water once per day while in veg, until I see roots coming out the drainage holes then I'm going to multi-feed.

It's gonna be a lot of work so I've decided to do go with a perpetual grow, 4 trays with 25 per 4x4' tray, vertizontal hoods oh and I will be doing this in tents, 2 trays per 8x4' tent. I decided to go with tents because they have consistantly out yielded open rooms for me EVERY TIME LOL, maybe with all that light bouncing around in there? I'm not sure, but they have always done me well over the years so I'm gonna go with them for this.

I see a lot of folks are using vermiculite in their mix because it keeps the medium saturated for longer, they say that they only need to water ever 2 days in some cases, I'm scratching my head thinking...WHY would you not want to water everyday or even better multiple times per day? You're substantially boosting the saturation of oxygen to your rootzone when you water often, but horses for courses and all that, I'm gonna keep this 100% perlite, my main aim before flower is to GROW ROOTS :biggrin::big grin:

A note of caution - perlite dust is VERY bad for you, rinse it before you use & wearing a dust mask to protect your respiratory system is a good idea.

Sorry to be THAT guy

(I did use perlite in a grow but found it didn't give my mature plants enough support - great for rooting, tho')

True that OT, I will be prepping my dust masks and washing the shit out of the perlite with PH adjusted water, I've had plenty of perlite dust in the lungs when I used to grow in soil, not good at all.

:thank you: guys

HGO

I grow in 3/4 perlite....the other 25% is vermiculite...the only reason I use any vermiculite is for early transplants when I top water the first week...It retains mositure to help get the transplants to set better....after that, I like the perlite cause it is much dryer but holds a good amt. of moisture in its surface structure and pores without being soaking wet....vermiculite is as moisture holding as a sponge, wicks and hold a LOT of moisture and too wet to use alone unless cut with something....perlite is also very inexpensive and sacrificial....you can use clay, lava, perlite all with about the same air to moisture ratios and all would work for your set up....I personally have never liked coco coir...many are successful with it but not for me...I do think you would benefit from a dryer mix such as the perlite...YT

Andyo

Veteran
perlite variation

perlite variation

I used uk silver pearl perlite first in the 80,s
5 yrs ago i used australian perlite, i noticed quite a difference in water holding.
Uk stuff was too wet for my liking .A

Latest posts

Latest posts