What's new

Can you still get the real California Orange?

I grew it years ago, from Dutch Passion, I din'tn get to smoke any of it because from memory it went into some failed seed breeding experiment.
However I remember I had several cuttings sitting in a glass of water on the bathroom windowsill, which rooted very well.
They were males, and had the most incredible orange smell, I was thinking at the time that if I could make perfume out of them I could make a fortune.
I just checked dutch passion and they didn't have them listed.
I have grown Calizahr from Chimmera and while they had an orange smell to them they were no where near as strong.
Anyone know what happened to the Cali O, are they going to be available again, that is the most beautiful smelling pot I have ever come across.

Rinse

Veteran
There was a cutting going around called aeric cali o or sometihng similar...Supposed to be the original, at best Dutch Passions was a cross to skunk, Ive heard good reports on Flying Dutchmen's Royal Orange.

S

seedee

I myself am on that exact same search. Dying for the original Cali o. Wish someone would refashion these as a classic revival project.

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dutchmen's Royal orange was hemp out of 15 beans not one smelled like orange. Same goes for there blueberry x skunk.

Probably won't pop the other 2 packs of DRO.

Right now the only orange probably worth buying is 2 different crosses of an orange skunk by a breeder we can't mention. I've completely removed my self from buying seeds from the big seed companies at inflated prices as a result of an inferior product.

I'd do anything to find the AE clone and put out some seeds for people, but it seems it is hoarded and will probably disappear because after a couple of years of being on these boards and I've seen 0 people post pictures or discuss having it and not a single person bragging about getting it from a club. I wish I was older when I had access to copious amounts of it so I could ask for a clone that was clearly within reach lookin back ;\ There isn't another orange out there as good.

F

Funion

I'm with seedee on this one. Someone needs to s1 their clone or BX the girl to something special. Man I'd love to run AE CaliO!

Scottish Research

ICMag Donor
Veteran
C+, and or Agent Orange would be your best bet. A lot of your Dutch vendors offer a Cali Orange or an Orange Bud, but I'm not sure how much luck you will have actually finding the "orange".

I just picked up Kali Hookah... Can't wait to find some orange in there.

Good luck!

R.Fortune

mithra

The clone is still alive and in B.C., or at least was a couple years ago, on the island. Green Supreme would be the one to ask, or perhaps Chimera.

P

puma

i got some cali O and some agent orange and some CABANA BUD which i made by hitting the CALI O with pollen from a BANANA KUSH, there out there but not sure how many ppl are runing them..

DRorganic

Veteran
i have a bag filled with seeds from a cross of cali-o x cali-o from nirvana circa 93 it was the indaca growing x mas tree looking cross .very sativa head high .but it was no doubting it filled the room like you just peeled a orange. and tasted like orange too .one i want to look through to find that same pheno. me and wally had a discussion on this very same thing .he was looking for the same seeds i had to cross his c99xcali-o . but he thinks nirvana breed it more to the indaca side .and he wished he could of breaded his c99 with the sativa plant the ones that wher more sativa in smoke.

It would be a shame if some of these oldies but goodies dissapear, seems like they get forgotten in the stampede for the latest fad, eg. Kush etc.
Interesting to know what it's genetics are, it remember reading somewhere that that it was bred by Sam the Skunkman.
I just want to know how they got pot to smell like oranges, is there a landrace somewhere that smells like oranges?
If it was bred by Sam the Skunkman back in the day then I would say it has some Mexican or Columbian in it.
I grew Amstel Gold once, that had a very citrus smell to it, but not like oranges.
Dutch Passion used to say in the advert. for it that it had a very strong smell, and not to carry on public transport, but then they deleted that, maybe they thought that would put people off buying it.
I have grown Calizahr but they weren't keepers, the resin crystalls were quite fine, not the big hashy crystals I was expecting.
It smelt of oranges but you had to sniff the buds, the smell didn't fill the room like the Cali. O.
New varieties of pot keep coming out but sometimes I wonder if they are actually an improvement on what is already here, maybe it's like fashion, no better quality or design, just new and different.

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
I honestly think part of the hype is the desire to have something you can't have..... but really, I suspect if this clone ever did find it's way into any of your gardens that I doubt you would make her your priority production plant- she is just not that good in every respect. I remember Vic High saying when he gave it to me 'Here is the Cali-o... she is a 5/10 on every level... now when we compare we have a relative scale to work with".

Sure the Orange(ISH!) flavour is nice, but rather mild as compared to other heavily fruit flavoured clones like grapefruit, and the effect is less intense and not appreciated by a younger kush-driven crowd. This is why I like the hybrid with the blueberry- it improves the character of the high, and adds a fruity/earthy understone.

the AE-77 clone is not a super yielder in a modern garden with high light intensities, she is finicky pH-wise and has an extremely narrow range in which she flourishes, and the buds are certainly less sellable that many other clones one could grow. I know lots of people who have grown her over the years, and none that have kept her long term. It's much more efficient for me to look within the hybrids for her valuable traits, and work towards improved characters in the hybrid lines, rather than keep around yet another clone that is not what I'm looking for. I have her good qualities in hybrids, so for me this is the most useful place to start from.

I've been smoking some C-Plus a grower gave me recently and it's great... it has all the features that make the Cali-o enjoyable, with a more complex high thanks to the BB side of things, and if I had to choose between this clone and the AE77 the C-Plus would win time and time again.

my 2 cents,
-Chimera

Yeah well as for yield, I would say most of us are not full on commercail growers, and as for the potency, I guess there are probably more potent varieties out there but it's not all about potency for me, long gone are the days when I was on a mission to get as stoned as possible, now I just like to have about 3 tokes to get relaxed and then I put the joint out.
It's the difference between having a nice cold beer and relaxing and downing shots of pure alcohol and getting totally blotto.
It's like with vegetables such as tomatoes, there are a growing number of people who are choosing to grow heirloom varieties for the taste rather than the latest high yielding hybrids.
I think Cali O could be considered a heirloom variety of cannabis, and from the posts here a fair few people would like to grow it, whether it's enough to make it commercially viable to release, I don't know.
But it would be good if there was some sort of repository, that's the best word I can think of, for these old strains such as Cali O and the original haze and pure Thai and Mexican so that these strains are not lost to posterity.

E

elmanito

Some pheno's of Chinese or North-Indian landraces i had, had the orange scent, stronger and nicer than OB.Orange Bud is hard to find nowadays in the coffeeshop.

Namaste :plant grow: :canabis:

I gotta agree with Chimera, Cali-O clone was not a keeper for me. The potency and quality of the high were not up to par with what I like to smoke. I did find the smell to be it's best quality, though as mentioned, it is not nearly as strong smelling as you would like.

E

elmanito

Although the strain itself was not very potent, it was good to relieve nauseous & anxiety.

Namaste :plant grow: :canabis:

C

cvk

I have some F2's made from a pack of Cali Orange from either Super Sativa Seed Club or The Seed Bank. The high is average but one thing you can count on is total white outs after every hit no matter how subtle you try to toke it. If mailing them wont compromise my freedom I will be more than happy to send some in for the server fund.