What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Molecular Sieve Filter

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What do you think of how I have them set up in previous post with pics? Is this an efficient way?

We are going to implement them into our 2" recovery manifold with a screened gasket on the lid of the collection spool....all in the hopes of preventing all terpene and oil aspiration that happens so often.

Consider a self draining heat exchanger and water trap in front of the return line filter.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Does anyone that uses a stainless set up with welds....... `pickle` their equipment before using the first time?

We order our kits electropolished to remove the iron spatter from the surface.

Our proto type fabrications are polished to remove it, but not passivated.

I worked with molecular sieves for years at the chemical company I retired from. The `dryer` needs to be long and slender but larger than lines inlet to and exit of. It needs to be perpendicular and depending on if you are drying vapor or liquid..... Will dictate if you feed it from the bottom or the top.

Originally Posted by GratefulOne
So for liquid you flood from the bottom? For vapor flood from the top?

Could you elaborate on the question?

Oldgangster said depending on if you are "drying vapor or liquid will dictate if you feed it from the bottom or the top."

I am asking for more details about this. The drier is set up vertical and I want to know the direction of flow. For liquid do you flood bottom up? For vapor do you flood top down?

Oldgangster said depending on if you are "drying vapor or liquid will dictate if you feed it from the bottom or the top."

I am asking for more details about this. The drier is set up vertical and I want to know the direction of flow. For liquid do you flood bottom up? For vapor do you flood top down?

Liquid is bottom feed and vapor is top fed. A small pressure gauge on top will be a ready indicator of plugging in the event of sieve breakdown. Rare but it can happen

Permacultuure

Veteran
Mole sieve beads had an initial weight of 25 extra grams on intial weigh in....I was convinced most of that was butane and left it on the scale. It quickly dropped in weight to about 8 extra grams. I'll post pics later.

This was all done on the input of a 125# after two appions and a 3/8" x 25' condenser coil/after chiller sitting in dry ice.

We ran several hundreds of lbs of gas through this and am quite surprised it was only 8 grams after butane gas off...

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Does anyone know of an affordable gauge that is acceptable for butane exposure?

We use compound pressure gauges from RSD refrigeration supply depot. Ours are JB and as I recall, M2-250 is the model number.

Ashcroft from Paramount also makes a useable stainless compound gauge, but more spendy.

We use compound pressure gauges from RSD refrigeration supply depot. Ours are JB and as I recall, M2-250 is the model number.

Ashcroft from Paramount also makes a useable stainless compound gauge, but more spendy.

Thank you very much brother! My shiny new 608 card shall come in handy :dance013:

Latest posts

Latest posts