What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
I was wondering what is everyone using to keep the cobs warm. I have one of these heat cables you can use for seedlings and clones, not very strong, 20 watt I think.
One of the rooms in my house has a constant temp of 24C/75F. Would the heating cable be enough witht this temp? I was thinking of using a big tupperware, wrapping the vacuum sealed cobs in a t-shirt, and wrapping the cable around it.
I use a cheap food dehydrator and it allows me to dial in what temperature I want. It also has a timer on it, so I can just set it for a short sweat but also it will do up to a week.

The top of my amplifier gives a nice 30c or so also.

If you intend to make a lot of cobs then the relatively small investment is worth it.

I intend to make a lot of cobs!

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Baudelaire/Fleur de Mal seeds has an ESB, I think it's an f3.
There's also some f2s of OT's B-Line available for subscribers on that other site which I'd have snapped up already only I've got a pack still from the original release.

Edit: I think I've got maybe 3 Oldtimes seeds in my fridge come to think of it.
Oldtimes in the fridge, I'm envious.

I had a pheno that was done indoors in 7.5 weeks! Really good quality weed.

I shall have a little look at Fleur de Mal; If my cob wins COTC, then I'll get some as a my prize.:)

Ancient Old Far

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I use a cheap food dehydrator and it allows me to dial in what temperature I want. It also has a timer on it, so I can just set it for a short sweat but also it will do up to a week.

The top of my amplifier gives a nice 30c or so also.

If you intend to make a lot of cobs then the relatively small investment is worth it.

I intend to make a lot of cobs!
I think next semester I will sign up for cobs 101. At my age I probably shouldnt be smoking, lol

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Taima-da

Thanks for the thoughts…

I’m in “hurry up and wait” mode now..
Cobs are continuing to sweat off moisture, I had to revac a couple time inspite if having
My various plants air dry 6-8 days here in Canada..humour here on the prairies can be quite dry..

Fun stuff…just trying to be hyper vigilant to keep moisture droplets out for fear of rotting.

Peace Out..🙏
Don't be in to much of a rush. Good cobs take time.:)

It's very important to let the cobs really dry well after the first sweat and at subsequent openings also.

If they are still really wet now, then I'd be tempted to take them out again and let them dry for a good while, possibly a day or two, before putting them back in the bags for the ferment.

MrToast

Thanks Hombre..

I noticed when I sweat my first 3 cobs the temperature from the heat mat they were on got a little too warm… 50+ C as per a thermometer I had) I put an additional towel over top while fermenting to help retain some heat )

Any idea if that ruined them?

Possibly destroyed some enzymes internally?

Fortunately I have 6 additional cobs on the go

Cheers

revegeta666

Sorry I m
Thanks Hombre..

I noticed when I sweat my first 3 cobs the temperature from the heat mat they were on got a little too warm… 50+ C as per a thermometer I had) I put an additional towel over top while fermenting to help retain some heat )

Cheers
Sorry mate I missed when you said you were using a heat mat. So I assume it's possible to use a heat cable as well, as I was asking. Are you using only towels or are you using any kind of box to keeep the cobs warm?

Last edited:

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Thanks Hombre..

Cheers
No it won't have ruined them, but if they were quite moist/wet then they'll probably turn quite dark. My first cobs looked like dog turds but worked perfectly.

The smell is the key. And proper drying between stages. It a mistake that's quite common when people start I think. I know I was concerned that I'd over dried, but in reality the inside of the cob is still be moist.

It's the reducing the moisture gradually and managing the heat that produces good tasty cobs.

It becomes instinctive the more you cob.

Tangwena

Veteran
I enjoyed it very much but not as much as my current favourite, Panama.
Love love love the Panama as well can be extremely potent cobbed and chewed.
As you say clear high easy to just think the world and all around you are perfect and forget that your high ha ha.
If the New Cal is not standing out in your memory it says it all to me.
The best leave lasting impressions I find.

StickyBandit

I was wondering what is everyone using to keep the cobs warm. I have one of these heat cables you can use for seedlings and clones, not very strong, 20 watt I think.
One of the rooms in my house has a constant temp of 24C/75F. Would the heating cable be enough witht this temp? I was thinking of using a big tupperware, wrapping the vacuum sealed cobs in a t-shirt, and wrapping the cable around it.
I use an icebox with an aquarium heater and some water in it. It also doubles up as a perfect germination tank 100% results if the beans are good. Very handy piece of kit :)

20220901_214607.jpg 20220901_214625.jpg 20220901_214705.jpg

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Good afternoon fellow cobbers.

I'm back with a report on the 10 month old New Caledonia cob as promised.

About 3.5 hours I took 0.3g and chewed it really well and let it sit in my mouth for quite some time while I checked all the latest news on here.
It seemed to take a while before I noticed the effects; Yesterdays Panama hit within 15minutes!

I've been and done a few chores around the house and noticed I was being very thorough.
No waves or head tingling.
Nice and clear but no great euphoria like some can produce.
Pleasant but not my favourite by a long way, I'm sorry to say.
I think that having cobs made of some of Ace's strongest perhaps clouds my judgement.
Hopefully I can keep a cob and put it away for another year and revisit it.

Last edited:

Tangwena

Veteran
Last night I chewed some of my favorite cob the golden brown Mulanje x Malawi/Ethiopian.
Normally I tire of squid fishing after 2 hours as my back starts hurting from peering down at the water from the jetty.
I chewed an insignificant amount as it can stop me from sleeping that late in the day.

We started at 7.30pm first thing that happened was a young New Zealand fur seal grabbed a squid as it was following my lure back to the jetty.
This young seal is recovering from a shark attack and has two semi circular scars one on each side of its body.
There are no seals in Shark Bay normally and I have never seen one there in 40 years of fishing there.
Most people curse and throw things at it as it is now fully recovered and eating every squid it see's ha ha.

I left that jetty to get away from the seal but it followed me to a smaller jetty where it kept surfacing and rolling around near my feet as I sat on the jetty with my legs dangling just above the water.
By this time I was well into the high and feeling a kinship with the young seal.
After a while it shot off like a torpedo and left me to my fishing I managed a big haul of mixed sized squid.

Meanwhile on the main jetty the seal was wrecking havoc stealing every squid attracted to peoples lures eventually forcing everyone on that jetty to give up and go home.
Because I had felt and seen the beauty of the little creature and felt nothing but love toward it I feel it left me alone to catch squid.
Other people were hurling rocks at it and trying to stab it with gaffs ect.
Because I had done none of these things it left me alone or at least thats my take on what happened.
Either way it was a magical encounter and I look forward to reacquainting myself with the young seal tonight.
Finger's crossed for more good squid fishing. last night I had no back ache and left for home at 11.30pm thanks to that chewed cob.

Latest posts

Latest posts