What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

StickyBandit

What's the best way to test a cob and when will it start showing good gains? How would I best smoke it to test? Maybe a pipe?
Cheers
Edit: I just put another KA5H down tonight with 4 big buds. Compressed down to about cigar size by rolling in baking paper then vacuum packing, which was pretty amazing considering how much went in :p

Last edited:

Taima-da

Question…😉

I’m wondering if anyone has
done any research on the Decarboxylation of Cobs…particularly temps and time?

Does anyone know about decarb’ing at lower temps such as we are using when sweating and fermenting cobs?
Obviously, the cobbing process enables the conversion of THCA to THC and thus you can get high by ingesting…

Just haven’t found and commentary here..Does anyone know if I may have missed this in the thread?

Thanks
Toast
I'm not sure this is the whole story with regard to what happens.
Browning reactions are typically complex.
It is possible that phenolic acid of THC A (or other acid forms) are orally active prior to decarb. and are generated by enzymatic decay in a low oxygen environment.
Certainly phenolics and other complex products can develop in enzymatic fermentation processes.

Or it could just be old African magic.

Last edited:

Taima-da

What's the best way to test a cob and when will it start showing good gains? How would I best smoke it to test? Maybe a pipe?
Cheers
Edit: I just put another KA5H down tonight with 4 big buds. Compressed down to about cigar size by rolling in baking paper then vacuum packing, which was pretty amazing considering how much went in :p
Suck it and see.
Two small pipes of anything good should get you going anytime for sure.
Though, as they say, your mileage may vary

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
New Caledonia colas cob.

IMG_1188.JPG
IMG_1186.JPG

Unfortunately the picture doesn't show the sparkles.

The wife's away for a few days, so I've taken a big dose, 0.4g; Just starting to come on now.

revegeta666

New Caledonia colas cob.

View attachment 18756850 View attachment 18756851

The wife's away for a few days, so I've taken a big dose, 0.4g; Just starting to come on now.
If she's not able to partake, it's only fair that you take her dose as well no? haha
Looking good mate, how many grams would you say you need to make a sausage of that size? It looks like 3-4 branches pressed together is that so?

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Yes, I've had her share as well!.

She's ok though, she's visiting the kids ad I know my daughters got an oz of Silver Haze, so she'll be ok for getting high, just not cob high

There were 5 colas that went into making that cob. I've pulled off the smallest and that will keep me going for a few days. saying that though, I like to change cobs most days.

Onboard

IMG_2571_cut.jpg

Time to cut new samples today. The upper short one id Blue Dream, and the lower tall one is Rosenthal Super Bud. Both are just under two months old.

I started eating the Blue Dream last week already, and since then I haven't barely touched anything from the older batches. The new one is much better already. Better buds in, better cobs out, hallelujah!
This week, I don't know if it is wishful thinking, but I think it has improved further already!

This one is so peppery that I need to wait several hours between the nibs, otherwise I burn my throat and gums. And as it turns out, the effect seems to stick for longer, too!

The Rosenthal was starting to smell pine plus old moroccan hash, so I could not resist but cutting off a piece of that, too. But after eating and smoking it, its unfortunately not ready yet. Neither taste, nor effect is there.

So, note to self: Don't cut any more pieces off before sampling (a smaller bit)!

Onboard

Hiccup

Congratulations my friend! Your cobs, plant and buds all look amazing! Thank you for sharing.

What strain did you say that was again?

Thanks mate!
It's a strain called Lot 5 Evolution bred by the late Oldtimer1 then f2'd by a member of another forum. The exact genetics are a mystery because OT just worked his own lines for decades, generally not using commercially available stock. I suspect that at the beginning of this line was a landrace possibly from africa, because he supposedly used a Nigerian at the start of his ESB line.
If you're interested in cannabis folklore then reading a bit about Oldtimer is fascinating.

MrToast

I'm not sure this is the whole story with regard to what happens.
Browning reactions are typically complex.
It is possible that phenolic acid analogues of THC (or others) are orally active prior to decarb. and are generated by enzymatic decay in a low oxygen environment.
Certainly phenolics and other complex products can develop in enzymatic fermentation processes.

Or it could just be old African magic.
Taima-da

Thanks for the thoughts…

I’m in “hurry up and wait” mode now..
Cobs are continuing to sweat off moisture, I had to revac a couple time inspite if having
My various plants air dry 6-8 days here in Canada..humour here on the prairies can be quite dry..

Fun stuff…just trying to be hyper vigilant to keep moisture droplets out for fear of rotting.

Peace Out..🙏

Tangwena

Veteran
New Caledonia colas cob.

View attachment 18756850 View attachment 18756851

Love the colors on the second pic the reds and browns usually mean a good high to me.
How would you describe the high? I have always been very curious about this strain.

Tangwena

Veteran
I started eating the Blue Dream last week already, and since then I haven't barely touched anything from the older batches. The new one is much better already. Better buds in, better cobs out, hallelujah!
Sounds cool I love it when you cant stop one particular cobbed strain.
I'm the same with a lime green pheno of Mulanje x Malawi/Ethiopian its the most amazing uplifting and confident high I've ever had and my current must have high.

StickyBandit

Just opened this KA5H for drying before vacuum packing again tomorrow or the next day. It's about 1/2 oz and has been at 33°c for 18 hours. Was dry to the touch but the stalks were flexible. Smells very strong of lemon pine and is super sticky. I think this will be a good one :)
Edit: Just weighed it at 18.5gm, so a bit heavier than I thought
20220916_170947.jpg

Last edited:

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
To me, they even make the granite sparkle!! :love: Thanks so much for sharing, @Hombre del mont!

By the way, did your daughter warm up to eating after that one gram breakfast piece?
She did indeed. She really enjoyed herself but sadly still smoked later in the day.

Most morning's she partook of some ,as did Mrs DM and myself. I've not yet had any today but will shortly Have some Panama.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Thanks mate!
It's a strain called Lot 5 Evolution bred by the late Oldtimer1 then f2'd by a member of another forum. The exact genetics are a mystery because OT just worked his own lines for decades, generally not using commercially available stock. I suspect that at the beginning of this line was a landrace possibly from africa, because he supposedly used a Nigerian at the start of his ESB line.
If you're interested in cannabis folklore then reading a bit about Oldtimer is fascinating.
Oldtimer1 is a legend.

I was gifted some of Oldtimes before the release. Kept it going for many years. Everybody loved it. My son tells me his friends still talk about it!

I'd love to get hold of some ESB beans. Do you know if anyone has reproduced it?

revegeta666

I was wondering what is everyone using to keep the cobs warm. I have one of these heat cables you can use for seedlings and clones, not very strong, 20 watt I think.
One of the rooms in my house has a constant temp of 24C/75F. Would the heating cable be enough witht this temp? I was thinking of using a big tupperware, wrapping the vacuum sealed cobs in a t-shirt, and wrapping the cable around it.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Love the colors on the second pic the reds and browns usually mean a good high to me.
How would you describe the high? I have always been very curious about this strain.

I enjoyed it very much but not as much as my current favourite, Panama.

It's a very clear high, so much so that you can forget your high.

Tbh, I'm not very good at describing the differences and already the Panama I've Just eaten 15 minutes or so ago is coming on very strong.

Tomorrow morning I will take Caledonia again and try and be more aware of how it is; I'll report back.

My Mulanje x Malawi/Ethiopian has just started flowering. Very excited by the thought of the cobs. Trying not to wish my life away. :LOL:

Hiccup

Oldtimer1 is a legend.

I was gifted some of Oldtimes before the release. Kept it going for many years. Everybody loved it. My son tells me his friends still talk about it!

I'd love to get hold of some ESB beans. Do you know if anyone has reproduced it?

Baudelaire/Fleur de Mal seeds has an ESB, I think it's an f3.
There's also some f2s of OT's B-Line available for subscribers on that other site which I'd have snapped up already only I've got a pack still from the original release.

Edit: I think I've got maybe 3 Oldtimes seeds in my fridge come to think of it.