What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Eastbaygrower is heading for the hills! 2017 outdoor full term grow, x30 300gal.

EastBayGrower

Veteran
Damn, Eastbay...I hope they get a handle on that fire soon. What an introduction to living in the sticks, eh? All that rain we got last year though was good since the reservoirs are full, but it also created a shit ton of kindling in the process.

They really need to hit it hard and soon. No rain in the forecast, humidity low and temps in the 90s for the next 10 days...the good news is that the wind is forecast to be relatively light...which should help the firefighters stay on top of it.

HB.

They did hit it hard, unfortunately your right the drought breaking record rain led to crazy high bloom of wildflowers and all kinds of brush and undergrowth (grasses 4 feet tall) which fueled the fire, some of the terrain is so hilly and dense there's no way people or firetrucks could make a dent...

Also a bug factor was the crazy low humidity and 95+ temps everyday, they say there's a new phenomenon with global warming that the fire isn't laying down at night like it should..

My #1 priority now is gonna be defensible space from the house and clearing the property, this shit is no joke... I do have fire insurance but there's no insurance for crops...

MedResearcher

Veteran
Goats are amazing at clearing brush. I use to dive neck deep into the poison oak and scrub brush every year. Now I just wait for the goats to clear it out. A few chainsaw swipes here and there to open it, then the goats clean it out.

They can be pesky as shit, but all in all they are good for the land.

Mr^^

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
So it's finally over! There are over 4500 firefighters from all over the West coast in the area and they are doing a wonderful job, containment up to 40% over 75000 acres vurned, fire came as close as a mile or so fr9m my house, lots of half burnt oak leaves are all around the house, in the pots, everywhere, anyone of those could have started a spot fire at the house

I was able to get back up into town Friday afternoon and although my road was closed I went up and watered with buckets, no power, and stayed the night..

Found out the next morning we were re evacuated, which was mainly due to no power, that was lifted and I can now go back and give the ladies a big watering and wash all the ash off...

It's been a crazy week with Tuesday night when the fire made its big run into town and everyone was evacuated, fire was mov8ng at 2mph and was just a mile out of town, it was a matter 9f time, there's a picture on Twitter of it coming over the ridge into town, saying " here it comes"..... so freaky, it literally burnt up the top of the ridge closest into town, if it went down to the valley town would be gone...

I've heard from a few growers in the area who have all been crazy generous, offering whatever i need to get this back up and running... the power is on so I'm all back to nornal.. All plants safe and sound

Need to grab a bottle of whiskey for when I get home and toast to calfire! Pics soon..

Glad to hear its staying clear from your garden, make that bottle of whiskey Jim Beam

EastBayGrower

Veteran
Goats are amazing at clearing brush. I use to dive neck deep into the poison oak and scrub brush every year. Now I just wait for the goats to clear it out. A few chainsaw swipes here and there to open it, then the goats clean it out.

They can be pesky as shit, but all in all they are good for the land.

Mr^^

Funny you say that, moms is tryna to make me get 2 or 3 to do just thay, she said you can rent an too, ion maybe something to do in the off season, this fire danger is really no joke and now it's like o have two full time jobs up here... 8 acres filled to gills with brush, poison oak, chaparel...

saitama

So it's finally over! There are over 4500 firefighters from all over the West coast in the area and they are doing a wonderful job, containment up to 40% over 75000 acres vurned, fire came as close as a mile or so fr9m my house, lots of half burnt oak leaves are all around the house, in the pots, everywhere, anyone of those could have started a spot fire at the house

I was able to get back up into town Friday afternoon and although my road was closed I went up and watered with buckets, no power, and stayed the night..

Found out the next morning we were re evacuated, which was mainly due to no power, that was lifted and I can now go back and give the ladies a big watering and wash all the ash off...

It's been a crazy week with Tuesday night when the fire made its big run into town and everyone was evacuated, fire was mov8ng at 2mph and was just a mile out of town, it was a matter 9f time, there's a picture on Twitter of it coming over the ridge into town, saying " here it comes"..... so freaky, it literally burnt up the top of the ridge closest into town, if it went down to the valley town would be gone...

I've heard from a few growers in the area who have all been crazy generous, offering whatever i need to get this back up and running... the power is on so I'm all back to nornal.. All plants safe and sound

Need to grab a bottle of whiskey for when I get home and toast to calfire! Pics soon..

Happy to hear!

EastBayGrower

Veteran
thanks man and the fire was actually only a quarter mile from downtown, not a mile... crazy close... and over 65 house burned down so hopefully everyone one of em have fire insurance and get taken care of ASAP...

seeing the community come together during all this has totally solidified my views of how awesome and friendly this place is...

EastBayGrower

Veteran
here's a pic from a few days back, a few growers are noticing there plants start to stretch/flower a bit early, hope we still have a week or two of veg growth.//

here's a pic from a few days back, a few growers are noticing there plants start to stretch/flower a bit early, hope we still have a week or two of veg growth.

I've noticed the same with my plants this year. A few are already flowering and my Sunset Sherbert looks to be 2 weeks in. Any discussions with your colleagues about why this is happening?

MedResearcher

Veteran
Looking good. Better to have a little smaller but healthy plants than huge vegged out unhealthy plants.

Get all the sucker growth cleaned out of the inside, so all the stretch growth gives you more budsites that will actually develop and finish.

Looks like your right on track imo.

Mr^^

Dankwolf

I've noticed the same with my plants this year. A few are already flowering and my Sunset Sherbert looks to be 2 weeks in. Any discussions with your colleagues about why this is happening?

Same early flowering issue up my way as well. About 2 weeks early ?

Noonin NorCal

Veteran

It might have something to do with the air quality and brightness, I'm sure its been hazy ever since the fire/fires. Not getting bright sun, like before it started?

B

beanz

i know heat in your soil will pre flower you , been hotter than normal ?

keep in mind if your growing boutique type stuff , its just not going to grow as big . you want the super large plants outdoors you,ll have to go a more tested road with the proven outdoor strains .

glad u made it though the fire , mate ....

Dankwolf

keep in mind if your growing boutique type stuff , its just not going to grow as big . you want the super large plants outdoors you,ll have to go a more tested road with the proven outdoor strains .

Temps have been a consistent 95° witch is 10° above last years average . i think ypu called it with heat induced stress forcing preflowers. Do you think it will effect stretch ?

EastBayGrower

Veteran

i noticed it before the fire actually, but im sure the smoke blocking the sun for a week didnt help matters... its been 95+ EVERY SINGLE DAY... tough doing alot of work in this heat...

The two i notice the most is a super sativa In the pines, throwing alot of 3finger leaves as well (another sign of stress ime) and a runt Blue Zkittlez clone... definitely a hard rule for my future outdoors grows is NO UNTESTED CLONES, wish the only clone i planted was the Cookie Frost which is BEASTING in the 300, filled it out and no sign of slowing down, the blue zkittlez got 7' tall but only about 4' wide and now has kinda stalled out...

the black lime reserve is staying short but still growing strong, its got alot of shoots and needs a good pruning or there's gonna be alot of fluff

redlaser

Veteran
Last year about this time our plants were beginning to flower. Seems early and in the past I wasn't paying as much attention to when it started. I've got them among 140' pine trees though, this area gets less sun per day.
Ended up adding solar lights to extend the day length, I've already been doing that for all of July this year due to getting them established late. Need to bulk the girls up a bit more

PDX Dopesmoker

It might have something to do with the air quality and brightness, I'm sure its been hazy ever since the fire/fires. Not getting bright sun, like before it started?

Dust reddening changing the spectrum of daylight to a more autumnal arrangememt?
Would light dep work using red cellophane?

B

beanz

Temps have been a consistent 95° witch is 10° above last years average . i think ypu called it with heat induced stress forcing preflowers. Do you think it will effect stretch ?

yep saw it last season , stalls them .... mine happened mid season . it was either light or heat ..... i rekon heat some plants weren't affected all the fancy stuff didn't like the heat too much .

this season i,m running all proven strains and light sup .....so we,ll see

B

beanz

thought i,d add spot to very knowledgeable bloke , he was saying he light sups as july is quiet cloudy/ overcast tends to try to flower plants ...... so perhaps smoke too .

is finishing time an issue eastbay ? you could sup next 4 weeks ?