What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

4x4 600w bare bulb distance?

i plan on using a bare bulb 600w in a 4x4 tent. how far away should I keep the plants. I was thinking like 15 or 16 inches away from the bulb?

N

nukkumatti

Try it with your hand. If its too hot take them further:) We're having 12" distance. No burning what so ever. But with more distance bigger the canopy :) more bud ;)

Lowman

Put a fan on the floor facing upwards directly under the bulb so the air from the fan blows over the bulb and straight up. You can get the plants to about 6" or so.

Put a fan on the floor facing upwards directly under the bulb so the air from the fan blows over the bulb and straight up. You can get the plants to about 6" or so.

yeah i already planned on doing that.

and i dont think i want my plants to get 6 inches to that bulb. i was thinking 12 to 16 so i can get a nice canopy and a better yield.

is this acurate? http://www.verticalherbs.com/calculator.html

i found it somewhere i cant remember. but it seems pretty useful for vertical. it seems like its better to keep the plants further away from the bulb than it would be with the horizontal style growing.

by that chart.. 15 inches seems to be the best without c02

mg75

Remember that plants double and sometimes triple their size during flowering (and grow towards the light). I have seen some great beginning verticals and then the plants were 5 inches from the light... which burnt them.
Do you know the plant and its growing characteristics?

Make sure you can pull the pots back or train them away from the light if needed.

Vindie$el

mg 75 you are right about the growing toward the light. I like to use tomato cages to hold them back. I also have the bottom of the bulb equal to the top of the plant during the stretch. After the stretch I drop the light in the center. This of course wouldn't work if you stacked lights. my 1000watts start burning them closer than 18 inches. I think a 600 would be good at a foot. You gotta have some way to hold them back too.

Talonted

The plants will tell you how close they like it man before anyone on here will figure it out. If they are just seeing big power for the first time keep em at 2ft and by the time they're flowering they'll be at 10-15 inches. Plants arent stupid, they wont grow into the light bulb without showing you that its capable like a week in advance lol. once it gets closer to the bulb there is less humidity and the tops will slow their grow.

RicoT

I grow with a 600w w/ cooltube in a 3x3 closet. My fan leaves and some smaller buds get as close as a mere inch or even touching my cooltube with no ill outcome, other than an occassional bleach spot. Of course this could be strain dependent, though I think you'll be fine once they are a lil bigger and able to handle the light intensity, especially with a distance of 12"...

Edit: I used to have a cage around the plants with a diameter of about 20" and just found it to be a pain in the ass to move around. If you're in a small space a cage really hinders your ability to water and really isn't all that useful anyway. At least not for my situation. Well see if that changes this next go around with stacked containers.

Internode

Bare bulb? You mean NO REFLECTOR? :laughing:
You won't get much of a harvest that way. More than half of the light will be wasted. Along with the money for your electric bill.

Bare bulb? You mean NO REFLECTOR? :laughing:
You won't get much of a harvest that way. More than half of the light will be wasted. Along with the money for your electric bill.

Hey man, you need to check out more threads in this forum - it's what the whole forum is about. There are ways to take advantage of all the light's output sans reflector, and it ends up being more efficient than with the reflector.

Internode

I'm a physics expert. Every bounce loses light. Using lamps without reflectors is just a waste of money. You can not beat the laws of science, you know.

opt1c

Veteran
people are pulling mad weight with no reflectors; u in the reflector selling business or something?

if it didn't get so hot where i'm at in the summer i'd consider bare bulbs but aircooling is a must where i'm at unfortunately

smoke1sun

What Goes Around Comes Around. But Am I Comming Or
Veteran
I'm a physics expert. Every bounce loses light. Using lamps without reflectors is just a waste of money. You can not beat the laws of science, you know.

Even vertical your saying he's wasting light,lumens and money?

Im far from a physic's major but im gonna disagree with you on this.

Equilibrium

Internode, I think you're missing some nice threads.

Google "Heath Robinson marijuana vertical".

And if you browse on this section of the forum, you'll see a lot of people using bare bulbs and having some of the nicest harvest.

i didn't realize this thread was still going lol

i think a lot of people is missing the point of using bare bulb vertical style? its not like im hanging the bulb horizontally with no reflector lol

ive seen people yield really good with a bare bulb hung vertical.. way better than i did with my horizontal reflector and with a 1000w compared to a 600.

im going vertical :p

blackone

Veteran
I'm following this one - got a 4X4 space and that's pretty much the only place I can grow. Was wondering if it was really too small to do a successful 600W vertical.

even a 400w doesn't sound to bad for a 4x4. i seen someone pull off 11 ounces pretty easy witha 400w setup and not even vscrog.

but a 600w would be awsome.

it should work out as long as a fan is blowing on the bulb.

Latest posts

Latest posts