You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Propagation > Cannabis Seed Storage

Thread Title Search
Cannabis Seed Storage Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-30-2020, 08:57 AM #71
Lost in a SOG
~~ex Atlantean~~

Lost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant future
You want silica packs inside a les parfait locking jar inside a fridge around 2-5 Celcius..

Les parfait make the best glass locking jars and none cannabis seedbanks use them for this reason.

Im still getting 80% plus viability on some 15 year old beans..

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:05 PM #72
romanoweed

romanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to behold
Im not shure bout lesParfait jars, there are two models, with Ripples and With just pressured Gum.
You can make a Test with water, fill water inside and turn it upsidedown, and well it went straight out (the Gum-Version)..
The ones with gum are made for Vacuming, so you cook These in Boiling water until it creates an underpressure therefore creates Vacuum, but would you do that with Seeds inside?
The one with the Ripples might be ok, but they often have too less Ripples to make me feel save. Do you have a longterm-Observation of it?
romanoweed is offline Quote

Old 03-30-2020, 06:54 PM #73
Douglas.Curtis
Autistic Diplomat in Training

Douglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivor
I have many seeds I've kept in the fridge for years. They are in containers, stored within a small ice-chest which slows temp changes inside it. Even the 10yr old seeds pop with a 90%+ success rate.

Lately I've begun drying and freezing them. (Thanks for the tip on shattering/mashing to check moisture!) They go in a container which then goes into a thermos or other cooler, and finally into a freezer. Ideally I would like to design something with multiple drawers. The entire unit insulated, with insulated sections in each drawer. Each section would have insulated containers within, allowing removal/storage without large temp changes.
Douglas.Curtis is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-12-2020, 04:50 PM #74
Bradley_Danks
Puffin Herbs

Bradley_Danks is a glorious beacon of lightBradley_Danks is a glorious beacon of lightBradley_Danks is a glorious beacon of lightBradley_Danks is a glorious beacon of lightBradley_Danks is a glorious beacon of lightBradley_Danks is a glorious beacon of lightBradley_Danks is a glorious beacon of lightBradley_Danks is a glorious beacon of lightBradley_Danks is a glorious beacon of lightBradley_Danks is a glorious beacon of lightBradley_Danks is a glorious beacon of light
Could someone plz critique the following methods of Cannabis seed storage I am thinking about using in the future.

Method 1: Smaller Amounts

Place seeds into plastic 5,15, and 50ml Eppendorf centrifuges with equal weights of moisture indicating desiccant silica beads separated from the seeds using a cotton ball.

Next place the seed filled centrifuges into light proof mylar bags to prevent light damage. Also, place a couple desiccant silica beads into the mylar bags in case any moisture gets inside.

Next, place the seed filled mylar bags into sealed mason jars to lessen atmospheric fluctuations as well as prevent rodents or bugs from damaging the seeds. Inside the jar will have a 2 gram moisture indicating desiccant pack to prevent any moisture damage.

Next, place the seed filled mason jars into a refrigerator set to between 35-40f with thermometers and a hygrometer present around the fridge to continuously monitor temperature and humidity fluctuations.

Do you think that is overkill with the desiccants? Anything else to consider?

Method 2: Larger Amounts

Place seeds directly into a mason jar with a moisture indicating desiccant pack to prevent any moisture damage. The desiccant pack should be equal or less in weight than the total weight of the seeds to prevent damaging the seeds from being too dry.

Use mason jar sleeve to prevent light damage.

Next, place the seed filled mason jars into a refrigerator set to between 35-40f with thermometers and a hygrometer present around the fridge to continuously monitor temperature and humidity fluctuations.

Old 04-12-2020, 05:34 PM #75
romanoweed

romanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to behold
bradley

1: put the silica-gel Packs into ofen just on lowest possible Heat with open door for 20, 30 Minutes, just so they are desaturated before you pack. Cause if you decide to pack the seeds on a foggy Day, you might even bring Moisture into the Game.

2: did you mean to use Glue to seal Jars? Bathroom- Silicon have antibacterial Thing. Glue probably too? OFTEN NOT EVEN WRITTEN EVEN INCLUDED Otherwise it would be great, but that might endanger positive Live.

3: Mansion Jars Need much Riffles, (test em with Water if thy leak, or just do my adviced airpress-Test)
romanoweed is offline Quote

Old 04-13-2020, 07:46 AM #76
Lost in a SOG
~~ex Atlantean~~

Lost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by I wood View Post
Consistent 90% germination on 10 to 12 year old seed, just stored in a mason jar with some desiccant in standard fridge, not the freezer.
Ditto.. this the way.
Lost in a SOG is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-14-2020, 04:38 PM #77
Bradley_Danks
Puffin Herbs

Bradley_Danks is a glorious beacon of lightBradley_Danks is a glorious beacon of lightBradley_Danks is a glorious beacon of lightBradley_Danks is a glorious beacon of lightBradley_Danks is a glorious beacon of lightBradley_Danks is a glorious beacon of lightBradley_Danks is a glorious beacon of lightBradley_Danks is a glorious beacon of lightBradley_Danks is a glorious beacon of lightBradley_Danks is a glorious beacon of lightBradley_Danks is a glorious beacon of light
Do you let the mason jar stabilize to room temperature before opening it each time? If so, about how many minutes do you wait? Have you ever had your mason jar form condensation from opening it before it was at room temp?

Old 04-14-2020, 05:17 PM #78
I wood

I wood has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley_Danks View Post
Do you let the mason jar stabilize to room temperature before opening it each time? If so, about how many minutes do you wait? Have you ever had your mason jar form condensation from opening it before it was at room temp?
Condensation? yes that was what lead to current protocol of waiting.
Five to ten minutes in the summer maybe, don't really measure time but feel the jar. When it feels the same as clean empty jar it is ready. Waiting is not necessary in the winter as seed fridge is in unheated part of building that stays cold and dry. In the winter i can spend hours looking through seeds without worry.
I like to keep a couple fresh clean jars with desiccant handy to dump seeds into after selections are made, maintenance ready to go.

Still adrift in Hilbert space.
I wood is online now Quote

Old 06-28-2020, 05:27 AM #79
Skinny Leaf

Skinny Leaf is a glorious beacon of lightSkinny Leaf is a glorious beacon of lightSkinny Leaf is a glorious beacon of lightSkinny Leaf is a glorious beacon of lightSkinny Leaf is a glorious beacon of lightSkinny Leaf is a glorious beacon of lightSkinny Leaf is a glorious beacon of lightSkinny Leaf is a glorious beacon of lightSkinny Leaf is a glorious beacon of lightSkinny Leaf is a glorious beacon of lightSkinny Leaf is a glorious beacon of light
I keep mine in a Tupperware container.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3128.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	539167
Skinny Leaf is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-29-2020, 03:30 AM #80
acespicoli

acespicoli is just really niceacespicoli is just really niceacespicoli is just really niceacespicoli is just really niceacespicoli is just really niceacespicoli is just really niceacespicoli is just really niceacespicoli is just really niceacespicoli is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Leaf View Post
I keep mine in a Tupperware container.

View Image

NICE collection they look well stored reminds me of grandmas cookie jar
be hard to pick, which one of those to try