What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis Seed Storage

sbeanonnamellow

Does anyone have good Longtermresults with Tupperware, despite Plasic beeing not a s good as Glass?

I just need it smaller, a Glass takes so much Space

The recent pictures posted by the crew at MNS suggests they keep the majority of their seeds in plastic bags, tupperware, and other plastic containers in the fridge. How long is longterm though, I'm not sure. Shanti mentioned popping some old seed from Nevil with some of his recent (couple years ago) releases like the NL5Haze, and Ortega so it seems to be working well for him.

If I hadn't already purchased some ampoules and stuff to seal them I'd probably just toss everything in the fridge like it is now in some glass jars or plastic containers. I think just getting them into the fridge with the best container you can get them in is the best we can do either way. Good luck man.

sbeanonnamellow

Back to the glass ampoules, I'm wondering about safety gear. Should I be wearing a specific type of glasses or face sheild when sealing them up? It seems logical that I should, if anyone knows which type of lense or shield is appropriate for this type of task I'd really appreciate the heads up. Much love

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
The commercial type mylar pouches are very cheep (a penny each) . A small impulse heat sealer can be as cheep as $20.

sbeanonnamellow

You put any desiccant in the mylar pouch?

Thinking about going a couple different routes as a sort of diversed portfolio play. Some ampoules because I already purchased them, some mylar bags with heat seal because those look pretty simple and effective (a bunch of breeders gear comes in stuff like this), and some of the plastic tubes troutman style (breeders gear comes in these a bunch too).

Appreciate the responses and discussion. Much love

Is it possible to overdry seeds? I know I read around 4% moisture is ideal

I'm in the process of storing the seeds from a recently harvested seed run. Storing seeds in centrifuge vials full of color changing silica dessicant.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
You put any desiccant in the mylar pouch?

Thinking about going a couple different routes as a sort of diversed portfolio play. Some ampoules because I already purchased them, some mylar bags with heat seal because those look pretty simple and effective (a bunch of breeders gear comes in stuff like this), and some of the plastic tubes troutman style (breeders gear comes in these a bunch too).

Appreciate the responses and discussion. Much love

No desiccant for me.

acespicoli

Seed-size variation in cannabis .

Seeds at right are a feral plant in Kashmir (800 seeds/g)
and those at left are culinary seeds from China (15 seeds/g)

photo E. B. R. , from collection of David Watson

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times]The ovary is one seeded, developing into a smooth, [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times]compressed or nearly spherical achene
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times](the "seed"), 2.5 to 4 mm (1/10 to 3/16 in) thick and 3 to 6 mm (1/8 to 1/4 in) long,[/FONT]

[/SIZE] [FONT=Times New Roman,Times] from dark gray to light brown in color and mottled,
[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times]The seeds cleaned for market nearly always include some still covered with green, gummy calyx.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times]The seeds vary in weight from 0.008 to 0.027 gram, the dark-colored seeds being generally much heavier than the light-colored seeds of the same sample.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times]The light-colored seeds are often imperfectly developed.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times]Dark-colored and distinctly mottled seeds are generally preferred.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times]--[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times]Hemp Husbandry[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times]Robert A. Nelson[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times]Internet Edition[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times]Copyright 2000[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times]SM Pack type C specs
[/FONT]

[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times] [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times]got the 5ml samples and plan a review soon[/FONT]

Last edited:

F2F

My view on container materials for seed storage has evolved lately. Credit - or you might say discredit- goes to dank weed.

I put some in a plastic air/water proof pelican case. Could not hold the smell in. Mason jars can. i hypothesize it’s an indicator of how impervious the material will be to moisture in the long run.

After using eppendorfs in a pelican case for a while, I’m back to glass for long-term storage. Think it’s best for my situation anyway.

Peace
F2F

acespicoli

My view on container materials for seed storage has evolved lately. Credit - or you might say discredit- goes to dank weed.

I put some in a plastic air/water proof pelican case. Could not hold the smell in. Mason jars can. i hypothesize it’s an indicator of how impervious the material will be to moisture in the long run.

After using eppendorfs in a pelican case for a while, I’m back to glass for long-term storage. Think it’s best for my situation anyway.

Peace
F2F

THIS>>> [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Think it’s best for my situation anyway.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The best take away from this thread
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I have read and the reason why the forum is such a great sharing experience.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sharing success and failure makes for a real learning experience.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]There are many variations and depending on
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]long term or short term storage needs,
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]that will most likely effect your eventual choice in seed saving method.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
:grouphug:[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Thank you for sharing F2F
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

acespicoli

Just as a reference it seems like a 1ml container will hold 10 seeds
1ml = 10 seeds / 8x30mm

2ml = 20 seeds

etc - there maybe exceptions due to extraordinary non average seed sizes
Kimax 60831D-843 Borosilicate Glass Cylindrical 1mL

Titeseal Autosampler Shell Vial with

White Polyethylene Plug Style Needle Closure

polyethylene is not impervious to water and oxygen
Aluminium foils thicker than 25 um (1 mil) are impermeable to oxygen and water.
Foils thinner than this become slightly permeable due to minute pinholes caused by the production process.

Last edited:

Skinny Leaf

Veteran
Skinny Leaf
If you have a moment and see this please give me a explanation of the filling and sealing of the Ampoules you use for seed storage.
As well as the opening procedure you use.

Those containers are the best example of a long term storage solution in my opinion it took me awhile to realize they are lab grade cryo storage containers :good:
Found a case of 1ml Ampoules 144/ 35$ USD on Amazon and might give them a go was thinking about a 19.99 opener and the glass rod or pull to seal them?
What size exactly are you using and do you find that even large cannabis seeds will fit ?

I bought 5ml ampoules. I had one batch of seeds that would not fit through the neck. I also had a few seeds that required a gentle push through the neck. 98% of my seeds went through the neck of a 5ml ampoule freely.

To seal the ampoule all that is needed is a small torch. Same torch you would use to do dabs. The glass does not conduct heat, therefore, you can hold it in your bare hand while you seal the end. The heat will not reach the seeds.

I put a layer of cotton in. Then some crushed dessicant. Seeds. Another layer of cotton. Seal. Label. The cotton is probably good enough if one does not want to purchase dessicant.

After researching seed storage years ago, this was the best sealed storage solution I found. The only other option was wax sealing glass. Since I didn't have big batches of seeds I didn't explore wax sealing. Plastic and rubber are not viable long term seed storage solutions without other sealing and environmental methods being incorporated.

Indie

Germinate 15 to 20 year old seeds regularly, that have been stored in the deep freeze for that long and germination rates are still 90 to 95%. If stored right, seeds will outlast you. Just pulled out an old 15 pack of Sensi seeds NL#5/Haze and had 100% germination rate.

F2F

I bought 5ml ampoules. I had one batch of seeds that would not fit through the neck. I also had a few seeds that required a gentle push through the neck. 98% of my seeds went through the neck of a 5ml ampoule freely.

To seal the ampoule all that is needed is a small torch. Same torch you would use to do dabs. The glass does not conduct heat, therefore, you can hold it in your bare hand while you seal the end. The heat will not reach the seeds.

I put a layer of cotton in. Then some crushed dessicant. Seeds. Another layer of cotton. Seal. Label. The cotton is probably good enough if one does not want to purchase dessicant.

After researching seed storage years ago, this was the best sealed storage solution I found. The only other option was wax sealing glass. Since I didn't have big batches of seeds I didn't explore wax sealing. Plastic and rubber are not viable long term seed storage solutions without other sealing and environmental methods being incorporated.

Hiya Skinny, can you please share a webpage, name, or catalog reference for the ampules? Would like something smaller but I like the simplicity of sealing with torch.

Peace,
F2F

acespicoli

Ideal moisture content (MC) is 8% for hemp seed storage

Citation:
Available online at www.sciencedirect. com
1st International Conference on Asian Highland Natural Resources Management, AsiaHiLand
Influence of storage conditions on change of hemp seed quality
Sangtiwa Suriyonga ,Nattasak Krittigamasa
Citation:

if anyone comes across a better indicator please advise
things to consider relative humidity temperature and seed moisture content all variables

Hemp seed contains about 30–35% oil by weight.

We prepared a spreadsheet that can convert RH values to MC values for many seeds/grains (Fig. 3; Supplemental Material, also available at www.dryingbeads. org/tools) based on the equation developed by Cromarty et al. (1982) that predicts the relationship between aw and seed MC based on the temperature and seed oil content:
urn:x-wiley:24719625:2016:equation:ael2ael2016040018-math-0001 ( broken link to the math)
where M e is the equilibrium MC (dry weight basis), D 0 is the seed oil content (fraction of dry weight), and T is the temperature (°C). The equation is quite accurate between approximately 20 and 70% RH, also the most sensitive range for the Humidicator strips. The spreadsheet allows entry of the temperature to adjust for temperature effects on the isotherms. Any product not listed in the spreadsheet could be calibrated for use with the indicator paper by equilibrating samples at a range of known MC values (determined by an oven test) and observing the corresponding indicator strip color when incubated with each sample.

NOTE: cobalt chloride test indicators are toxic non toxic indicators are available
Bentonite food grade clay vs silica gel ?

Material Composition

Bentonite clay is an abundant and naturally-occurring mineral that results from the weathering and
sedimentation of volcanic ash deposits. Its principal ingredient is calcium
montmorillonite, a highly adsorbent, chemically inert and non-corrosive
substance. When mined from the ground, then processed and dried into the form
of free-flowing granules, bentonite clay attracts and binds water vapor readily
within its complex and highly layered structure, making it a highly effective
desiccant.

Silica gel is a synthetic material, a highly porous form of amorphous silicon dioxide that is typically
produced in the form of transparent beads, about 2-3 mm in size. Silica gel
adsorbs water vapor in an internal network of random, intersecting channels of
various diameters. Silica gel is manufactured on a large scale through a multi-step chemical process.
The current primary global source for silica gel is China, so silica gel desiccants are
generally shipped worldwide in bulk or individual package form.

Critical factors that determine seed longevity are the seed's moisture content, temperature, and gaseous environment; its initial viability; and its genetic background.
With respect to the latter, differences between species would appear to be much greater than those within. Genetics particularly influences the relationship between seed longevity and seed moisture content. Most species produce seeds that can be dried to low moisture contents (e.g., where less than 5% of the seeds' fresh weight is water) without loss of viability. The seeds of such species are termed “orthodox.” Furthermore, orthodox seed longevity increases in a predictable fashion as the moisture content is reduced. Within limits, there is a straight-line relationship of negative slope between longevity and seed moisture content (up to about 15 to 25%) when both are expressed on a logarithmic scale. More simply, Harrington's rule of thumb states that a 1% reduction in moisture content roughly doubles seed longevity. Ellis et al. in 1989 found that drying seeds below a certain moisture content (equating to that in equilibrium with air at about 11% relative humidity at room temperature) did not increase longevity in most species studied. However, in a few species, a decrease in longevity was noted.

Temperature also has a predictable effect on seed longevity over the range ?13 °C to 90 °C (Dickie et al., 1990) such that there is a quadratic relationship between longevity on a logarithmic scale and temperature—although an Arrhenius relationship also fitted the data well. Importantly, the relative effect of temperature on the seed longevity of eight species was identical. In its simplest form, Harrington's rule of thumb states that a 5 °C reduction in temperature doubles seed longevity.

In 1980, Ellis and Roberts developed a predictive model for orthodox seed storage that incorporated the determinants of longevity (except gaseous environment that has minimal effect at the low moisture contents over which the model is applicable). Based on acceleration of the aging process in seed lots by increasing their moisture content and temperature, the model allows extrapolation of longevity at cooler and drier conditions. For instance, rice seeds at 5% moisture content and ?20 °C (fairly typical seed bank conditions) have a theoretical potential to survive at least 1900 years (see Hong et al., 1998).

In a study of the seed storage behavior of 6700 species, Hong et al. (1998), found that 91% had orthodox (desiccation tolerant) seed.

Last edited:

acespicoli

You will notice these are abbreviations for various types of plastic containers etc

Most interesting is the metal glass arrow in the graph above to put things in perspective

Wheaton Borosilicate Glass Liquid Scintillation Vial, with White Polypropylene Metal Foil Lined Screw Cap 2ml size holds 20 seeds nicely

Aluminum foil lined caps - These caps are typically used for food applications. Free of odor and taste problems. Also can be used for non-acid, non-alkaline products. Great for organic solvents, chrome cleaners, brake fluids and mineral oils. Available in Phenolic and Metal caps.

Black phenolic caps - with rubber liners are autoclavable. This liner is FDA approved for food and pharmaceutical applications. Excellent properties of resilience, resistance to moisture vapor and relatively low gas transmission. Also widely used for packaging injectables. Great for culture work. They also provide the most consistent adherence to close dimensional tolerances.

Last edited:

acespicoli

A preform is an intermediate product that is subsequently blown into a polyethylene terephthalate (PET) container. ...
Preforms are manufactured from polyethylene terephthalate (PET), so they are called PET preforms.

Soda Bottle Preforms and Caps (30/pk)
Price: $29.39 & FREE Shipping.

NOTE: iron oxide is a non toxic oxygen scavenger

microscope showing why simple plastic layers are ineffective as a moisture, vapor, and gas barrier

Last edited:

Hopefull Stoner

View Image

This is similar to the thermometer that I have, mine is set at 38F in the regular fridge
Also have a mini fridge they run around $200
you would need to save a lot of seed to justify that expense

i just started looking at mini fridges. when i think about the cost i temper that by the fact the beans within are easily worth $5k as a conservative estimate. predicated on if the beans germ and worthy plants are found.

they are taking up too much space in my regular fridge. both bottom crispers and spill over to shelf above and on the door lol.

i guess like 350 plus and i haven't stopped.

still have shit on my two hit lists and a prospect list as well. never mind some shit jumps the line because i found out about them and liked them enough to grab them while i could. which has been happening lately lol. :plant grow:

Hopefull Stoner

Germinate 15 to 20 year old seeds regularly, that have been stored in the deep freeze for that long and germination rates are still 90 to 95%. If stored right, seeds will outlast you. Just pulled out an old 15 pack of Sensi seeds NL#5/Haze and had 100% germination rate.

can u share ur step by step method tp store and also HOW YOU PREP/THAW TO USE PLEASE. THX. :ying: