What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hemp Russet Mites kill all mites Co2 increased PPM Save Genetics.

Raw710

Hello I have not been on here in a while and I have identified that I have russet mites. What makes it difficult from me shutting down my garden is because I run a perpetual grow with strains I really don't want to let go of. So I have been doing a lot of research of the options that I have to save strains. What i have came up with is running Co2 in a sealed confined environment and raise the PPM's past 10,000. I know that it will take several times running the Co2 to kills the mites and their offspring to hatch in the future. Some of my questions are wondering about the life cycle of how long it takes for for the eggs to hatch from inside the plant. Also wondering how long I may need to run treatments. Now that this nightmare has occurred I would like to always be safe then sorry and do what I need to be pest free again. I have overcome a lot in the past years of growing such as root aphids and powdery mildew and these mites are something I just cannot shake. So please if anyone has any input, questions or knowledge they may have for this type of treatment. I do plan on in the short future once I get things all figured out to shut the garden down and bleach and heat treat for a week or so to start sterile again but at this stage I am not able to. Hope to hear from fellow members thanks!

igrowone

Veteran
i've had mites once, not the dreaded hemp russets, but bad enough
i whacked them with a persistent and organic spray of some essential oils
persistence was the key
now what i've seen mentioned used in the greenhouse setting(amongst other things) was simple horticultural oil
a food grade product used on vegetables, fda approved and all that
it's mechanical, does them in by suffocation
just one example of something that does not require fearsome toxic substances
it does require a regular thorough application

beta

Veteran
I defeated Hemp Russet Mites in a perpetual organic commercial garden with nothing but horticultural oil in a fogger. Coverage is key so the fogger is VERY important.

I used JMS Stylet Oil @ 60ml/gal every 4 days. I get 100% kill with this method, verified with a scope.

HRM are very easy to kill this way, the trick is not re-infecting yourself with old material. Once you've been infected you need to spray every 4 days for at least 6 months to get any that may be re-introduced from your environment which probably has them everywhere.

Perpetual bloom is tricky, because you can't spray after flower development. You either need to clear the room out and reset it OR heat treat the room a few times in conjunction with hort oil.

Raw710

I defeated Hemp Russet Mites in a perpetual organic commercial garden with nothing but horticultural oil in a fogger. Coverage is key so the fogger is VERY important.

I used JMS Stylet Oil @ 60ml/gal every 4 days. I get 100% kill with this method, verified with a scope.

HRM are very easy to kill this way, the trick is not re-infecting yourself with old material. Once you've been infected you need to spray every 4 days for at least 6 months to get any that may be re-introduced from your environment which probably has them everywhere.

Perpetual bloom is tricky, because you can't spray after flower development. You either need to clear the room out and reset it OR heat treat the room a few times in conjunction with hort oil.

I run both a Perpetual veg and Bloom. So you're saying I have to get rid of the ones in bloom? What are your methods for heat treating it how do you make it so that the temperature is in the middle of the canopy also? I can spray the oil all the way up to a week 3 when they start to Pre flower? How long do the eggs stay in the plant for? And at what temperatures and humidity was your grow room at that you were spraying every 4 days? Thanks for all the help

Raw710

i've had mites once, not the dreaded hemp russets, but bad enough
i whacked them with a persistent and organic spray of some essential oils
persistence was the key
now what i've seen mentioned used in the greenhouse setting(amongst other things) was simple horticultural oil
a food grade product used on vegetables, fda approved and all that
it's mechanical, does them in by suffocation
just one example of something that does not require fearsome toxic substances
it does require a regular thorough application

What essential oils would you suggest and at what rate per gallon thank you

igrowone

Veteran
What essential oils would you suggest and at what rate per gallon thank you

hemp russets are maybe not so susceptible, not sure though
what i used had rosemary, peppermint, clove and i another that i forget
rosemary seems to have the reputation for being a potent miticide
but from other posts like beta, straight horticultural oil can be very effective
but must be applied for quite a while

Raw710

hemp russets are maybe not so susceptible, not sure though
what i used had rosemary, peppermint, clove and i another that i forget
rosemary seems to have the reputation for being a potent miticide
but from other posts like beta, straight horticultural oil can be very effective
but must be applied for quite a while

Do you know how rosemary works as a miticide? Does it dry them out? And do you know of anything that kills the eggs?

igrowone

Veteran
Do you know how rosemary works as a miticide? Does it dry them out? And do you know of anything that kills the eggs?

i do not know how rosemary oil works
and the horticultural oil is supposed to do in the eggs, again by suffocation
i'm no expert on the hort oil, others that have posted here are
and they seem to get very good results from it