What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dart frogs, finally sprouted

N707

Hi all! I've been a long time lurker and finally got over my paranoia and joined up. I am into alot of bio type hobbies, one of which being breeding and rasing poison dart frogs in the dendrobates genus. Before anyone asks they are not poisonous anymore, they disseminate thier toxins after not eating certain insects that are only found in Cantral and South America.

I get eggs from my trio of D. vetrimiculatus every few weeks, and up until last month they were always infertile. I went to feed the tadpoles and realised that my big had finally 'sprouted' his front legs. So I can move him to a half land setup now. Just wanted to share my nerdyobsession and some pics. Anyother critter freaks lurking in the shadows around here? I keep different sp. of tarantulas, some scorps, and dart frogs, all of which i build custom controlled envorments for. Here are some shots of two of my little minions and the parents setup.

My first sucessfull tad...woooo. (so far)
wooo-1.jpg

This guy fell about 14' onto tile as a tiny tad and somehow survived, notice his bent tail...lol.
gimpy.jpg

One of my vivariums, this one houses three D. ventrimiculatus (dart frogs).
vivid-2.jpg

Viv.jpg

Anyone else here into vivariums or the like?

Last edited:

pack a bowl

nice frogs. i have a grey tree frog myself in a weak viv. i wish i could get more into it but i don't have the money.

RudolfTheRed

Veteran
i hang with a guy who breeds exotic types of turtles.
i wish i could get into something like this but i already have to many other hobbies.

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
wuts the point if they aint poisonous anymore? nah thats cool tho, u can just dart fools and then say "AAAAhhh, GOTCHA, theyre not really poisonous sucka!!". Nice frogs yo.

greenfiend

i own 2 giant waxy monkey tree frogs and 2 sharp back monkey tree frogs i post pictures when i get my camera in a couple weeks really neat frogs still babie tho

D

DogBoy

We keep several types of exotics at home and it's a great hobby to have. Well played on having something cool going on....

I have the pleasure living relatively near a retailer who sells nothing but poison arrow frogs and setups for them. Very extensive terrariums there. I like to raise mantids and other insects but will expand into poison frogs and some other things, perhaps fresh/saltwater aquariums, at some point within the year. Exotic turtles are neat. I have one of those as well. I live in a little zoo hahahaha.

N707

Thanks guys, I'll try to get some more pics up tonight, Im cleaning so Ill have an op to get afew.

breeding frogs...how sweet.

Have you ever been darted? haha

Lol, I have gotten tingly lips and some numbness in my hands from fresh imports, scared the crapola outta me.

wuts the point if they aint poisonous anymore? nah thats cool tho, u can just dart fools and then say "AAAAhhh, GOTCHA, theyre not really poisonous sucka!!". Nice frogs yo.

hahaha!!!! That would be a kick, I know alot of folks would definatley fall for that, shit I might even...lol. I do have some nasty hots though...:wink:.

I have the pleasure living relatively near a retailer who sells nothing but poison arrow frogs and setups for them. Very extensive terrariums there. I like to raise mantids and other insects but will expand into poison frogs and some other things, perhaps fresh/saltwater aquariums, at some point within the year. Exotic turtles are neat. I have one of those as well. I live in a little zoo hahahaha.

I probably know whor your talkin about....
Mantids rock!

Last edited:

N707

insects are another thing

i find them very repulsive

except miss lady bug

You my friend need to meet "tiny", he free ranges my condo.....
He is the most beautiful creature in my collection.....buuuwaahahahah

I cannot find the original file......he whieghs close to a pound.
sorry no fro pics tonight...= (.

SweetNightmare

nice! that looks bigger than my goliath bird eater! I got a few tarantulas from avicularia genus too, and a few others... a trap door spider... giant vietnamese centipede... african giant millipede... bunch of scorpions... a uromastyx and a columbian b/w tegu :) nature rocks... ohh yea and don't forget the roach colony lol... I like pdf's cool colors but don't have any... not really my style I guess lol... I like things that are poisonous :)
Remember tarantulas are arachnids not insects!

Last edited:

Tonatiuh

its me Dave man open up the door...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
real cool stuff dude.that enclosure is kick ace for real bro!
id be scared to handle that spider too.
nice lil thread i bet lotta folks chime in with different creatures.
peace-T-

N707

nice! that looks bigger than my goliath bird eater! I got a few tarantulas from avicularia genus too, and a few others... a trap door spider... giant vietnamese centipede... african giant millipede... bunch of scorpions... a uromastyx and a columbian b/w tegu :) nature rocks... ohh yea and don't forget the roach colony lol... I like pdf's cool colors but don't have any... not really my style I guess lol... I like things that are poisonous :)
Remember tarantulas are arachnids not insects!

Lol....for sure bro. She is a T. blondi, as yours. I'm pretty sure she was one of the largest in the states as far as being legitimatley pictured...over 10" legspan, and I had an 11" molt...= P. She passed due to molting complications after I had her for about 5 years.

My group of tadpoles are starting to morph, I now have three froglets.

I love these guys, they are super tiny right now, less than 1/2 (i'ld say 1/3-1/4) the size of a dime.
Here are some shots (no, they arent enywhere else on other forums...lol). Sorry for the quality, the tank is always clouded with humidity even with excellent ventilation from the misting system I have.

Attachments

• so ittle.JPG
    so ittle.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_8782[1].jpg
    IMG_8782[1].jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 44
  • lill whore hey.JPG
    lill whore hey.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 32

N707

real cool stuff dude.that enclosure is kick ace for real bro!
id be scared to handle that spider too.
nice lil thread i bet lotta folks chime in with different creatures.
peace-T-

Thanks bro, they are definatley a labor of love just all "gardens". I really believe that they add a positive energy to the rooms they are in.

These were the tads I pictured not too long ago...
Here's those pics.....
soittle.jpg

lillwhorehey.jpg

IMG_87821.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts