What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Grow Tent OutGassing / Offgassing WARNING!!

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Does this leaf look like one with pvc off gassing damage to anyone who's experienced it first hand:?

Mmm, are there no experienced off gassing sufferers on this forum nowadays??

Please:bump:kindly

Toke:tiphat:

Neither of your symptoms look like tent off-gassing.

Tokesome - I would ditch the white floor and if possible remove the ducting socks. Been a while since this whole thing went down, but why take chances. Sounds like you have a lot of airflow with that big fan too, so that could be making your symptoms less noticable.

As I recall, the first batch of Sun Hut Silver tents came with a white floor, and people ended up having problems.

Assuming it is a velcro cover on the other side of those socks, you should be able to cut them off at the edges without leaving a hole in your tent.

If you'd like to stress test the tent first before you chuck the floor and start cutting, here's some pictures of seedlings with off-gas poisoning. Start some bagseed or whatever and leave them in the tent for a week or so without any exhaust and see how they do.

The Sun Hut Silver floor should be a very close fit for your tent - perhaps you could contact their distributor and ask to purchase just the floor.

Don't know if this is who to ask for sure, but i'd start here:

http://www.nationalgardenwholesale.com/ngw/contact.aspx

Tokesome

Are you sure mate? its just that I`ve moved them into different make tent, sitting next to the other one, (this one is fully silver lined) and the plants seem to have recovered.

Photo138_8_1.jpg

The damage here is the damage done whilst in the other tent for 8 days, you can see they`ve grown significantly and all fresh growth is totally unaffected. Whatever it was, it was killing them quickly and now they seem fine. The splash trayalready removed and disposed of, I`ll be cutting the white plastic sleeves off the tent and trying it again soon, 4 of these 8 plants are going to flower in a scrog in it so hope it`ll be ok.

Photo137_7_1.jpg

These plants are in coco, might that affect the way the plant shows problems to this out-gassing.

Toke

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Are you sure mate? its just that I`ve moved them into different make tent, sitting next to the other one, (this one is fully silver lined) and the plants seem to have recovered.

Toke

Honestly, nope.

But your symptoms dont look like "classic" offgassing. If you look up a sulfur deficiency, that is what the typical symptoms look like.

The tissue necrosis visible in your most recent pics does lead me to believe there was at least a low-level problem in the other tent.

I kinda suspected the same even after giving the first pics another look, but don't want to jump to conclusions when the symptoms are not definitive.

But as I'd mentioned, I suspect you are reducing the appearance of symptoms because you have so much airflow.

Should prolly ditch the white part of the tent :D

Stumbleweed

The new HydroHut Silver editions are fine in this regard, right? I've been seeing some yellowing similar to what Loko17 posted in his 2nd picture (middle stages) but thought that all the new HydroHuts were clean. It might just be a nute issue too (new strains, feeling them out) -- it looks similar to a Mg deficiency, sometimes a N deficiency...

Tokesome

The big fan and filter mentioned above is used elsewhere mate, its a 4inch RVK with 4 inch can filter used here with a 400wt light.

I thought the effects were severe for plants in an environment for just 8 days, rather than mild. Plants are vigorous again now. I`m yet to remove the plastic ducting sleeves off this "new" tent, but will need to do so in the next day or so as all 8 in the older tent is getting a bit tight now.

I`ll keep you posted as to whether this does the trick.

Toke

I used to grow in a small 2' by 4'+ closet for a couple years and always had great yields of the highest quality medicine. My best yields were 350 grams dry from a 600 hps with only 8 sq feet of grow space. This was with 100% living organic soil and vermicompost teas I brewed from my loved worm compost. Anyways two years ago I bought a first gen Sun Hut to have a larger garden for more organic medicine. With the 4' by 4' Sun Hut I doubled my grow space and was expecting larger harvests so I could make some donations to some needy disabled. My plants would look great as they went into flowering but would be nearly dead within 4-5 weeks. My yields were reduced by over 80%. I was using the same strains as I had for years before with the same soil mix. I immediately had a feeling it was the Sun Hut causing the death of my medicine, but everyone I talked to thought I was crazy. Now after nearly two years of not enough medicine and greatly diminished health I am picking up my new (hopefully non toxic) Sun Hut tomorrow. I was a little reluctant to do business with the same company that sold the toxic crap, but I am hoping for the best. Almost two years of my life and health wasted but I am ready to move forward.

Well I picked up my new silver lined Sun Hut 4 by 4 yesterday and told the owner of the local shop where I bought my first one 2 years ago about my problems. At first he said no one wants to admit any problems. Then a minute later he stated that no one has had any problems with the Sun Huts. A few minutes later he was saying something about all the Sun Huts he has had to sent back. He ended up being pretty cool though and told me to cut off the door with the Sun Hut logo off the old hut and bring it in for store credit. I am planning to use the credit to replace my tired Can 75 filter that is probably full of the off gassing chemicals. If I didnt use such a large filter and fan combo (vortex 6" 440cfm) I may figured out my problems earlier. I sure am glad I found this thread! I wish I would have found this thread a year or more ago.

One quick question if anyone still reads this thread. When I set up my new silver lined Sun Hut last night I did notice a new plastic type smell. I am wandering if it advisable to wash out the inside with some warm water and natural dish soap? I did this with my first Sun Hut two years ago but I am concerned about the durability of the thin silver lining of the new Hut. I have 17 girls ready to go into 3 gal containers and stuffed into the Hut tonight.

piosh

Hope anyone more experienced still reads it...
My last grow (posted about it here) was f..ked up totally - from 3 plants i pulled off less than usually from one. But ive found other serious issues that grow (you can check my old grows before buing white tent inmy older album). I decided to start over in that tent to check it out again.(Ill post something later - i think thing happens again altough I ve changed almost everythin - temps , RH(improved to better level 26C,40%rh) , soil.

Just for clearing:
- I understand all fully silver (mylar , diamond , also floor coverd) tents are off-gas free?
- Reading the threads linked here Ive found something about galvanized steel - can someone clarify it to me ? Is galvanized steel also toxic for plants?
(asking cuz probably im gonna make my own mylar tent , made of known as safe materials)
Thx for help in advance.

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
Has anyone simply set one up (allow the plastic smell to go away), turn a light on in there so it heats up and exhaust all that out for awhile?

I get the offgassing thing BUT can't that be worked passed once you get the material heated up and allowed to air out completely?

reason I am wondering is because I have had 4 different cheapo tents that smelled like shit at first and seemed to affect my girls until I let it sit and air out completely

The off-gassing problem never went away in my first Sun Hut, even after two years. The entire white interior had been washed off a couple times. I also had an over sized filter (can 75w/vortex 6" 440cfm). Nothing ever solved the problem. My new silver lined Sun Hut also stinks, but it seems to be coming from the black canvas exterior. No problems yet, but my girls have only been in there for 9 days. Before my first Sun Hut I never had any problems growing cannabis or veggies ever.

siu 3d

Simply lining my tent with reflective mylar cut out the smell of plastic when the light was on, and within a few days, my plants looked fine. The tent sides used to be noticeably warm, now it's not.

supermanlives

Veteran
Has anyone simply set one up (allow the plastic smell to go away), turn a light on in there so it heats up and exhaust all that out for awhile?

I get the offgassing thing BUT can't that be worked passed once you get the material heated up and allowed to air out completely?

reason I am wondering is because I have had 4 different cheapo tents that smelled like shit at first and seemed to affect my girls until I let it sit and air out completely
nope it dont work i went through 2 tents. the original and so called replacement material. i tried everything. finally said f it and replaced with reflectix and tek foil. works great now.

Just read through alot of this post and think im having this offgasing problem aswell. Heres a link to the tent I bought.
http://www.yescomusa.com/product.php?productid=502&cat=0&page=3

Its Made from PVC so im sure its doing the same thing as all these other ones, but just wanted some second opinions.
I have had 4 sucessful grows in this tent so far with my 400w HPS, and im in #5 now, with about 10 days left. The plants have been yellowing weirdly after a few weeks into flowering....and continuing the whole grow.....the buds look fine but leaves are looking rather crappy.
Do these tents progressively get worse?? or should I have noticed this offgasing from my first grow??

And do most recommend the Homebox tents??

Heres a couple of pics....they look like they have a nutrient defficiency to me....but i grew the same plant last grow with twice the nutes in a little bigger pot and had no similar issues. I'm using way less nutes now, and im checking runoff, b/c im in my flush now, and the ppm is also far less then the last batch. So to me, I dont think its a nutrient thing, but im not sure if thats what these tents can do to plants...

festivus

STAY TOASTY MY FRIENDS!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
One quick question if anyone still reads this thread. When I set up my new silver lined Sun Hut last night I did notice a new plastic type smell. I am wandering if it advisable to wash out the inside with some warm water and natural dish soap? I did this with my first Sun Hut two years ago but I am concerned about the durability of the thin silver lining of the new Hut. I have 17 girls ready to go into 3 gal containers and stuffed into the Hut tonight.

Bought a Sun Hut Silver XL about a year ago, didn't do a wipe down, plants went in immediately. Never had any outgassing issues. The silver lining is extremely durable. I didn't notice a strong plastic smell.:)

!PeAcE!

is the pvc lined tents only a danger when heat is raised? so theoretically by controlling the temp would that prevent offgassing?

A

ak-51

I am currently shutdown for unrelated reasons, but I have very strong suspicions that I was experiencing offgassing issues by using sunleaves brand panda film/ panda plastic/ black and white poly.

I had a home made tent which at one point was modified with sunleaves brand "black and white poly". I had 2 runs in the tent without issue, near the end of the 2nd run I pulled down the black trash bag and mylar patchwork sides which I had made and replaced them with the panda plastic. This area was only for flowering, and all 3 runs done in it were either 100% flowering or 2 or less weeks veg and then flowering. The plants put in during the 3rd run were the smallest yet to move into flowering, and also the only ones which were flowered 100% in the panda plastic. I began experiencing the issues which have been associated with offgassing: my leaves were turning yellow, brown and then getting very dry even to the point of falling off on their own. This final run was the least potent and had a significantly smaller yield than I had expected.

I will by using only mylar in the future.

Latest posts

Latest posts