What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!! (Dry sifting with Team Microbe)

Team Microbe

Veteran
Hey folks,

I just got into this new dry sifting hobby and it's a lot of fun so far - I've been at it for 2 weeks now and I'm starting to see some results finally!

picture.php

picture.php

I've been using the 140u screen, and the 73u screen mostly. These translate out to about 200 LPI and 100 LPI. After heads fall down through the 140u screen I wrap a new piece of parchment paper around my iTunes card and begin carding to collect the resin. Before I go any further I've gotta give it up for D420K because he's been of big help on YouTube by sharing all the tips and tricks he's learned over the year in separating these heads from contaminants. He went through a bunch of different static-attracting materials and finally found out that the PVC in the iTunes card plastic (and other plastic cards) has the most static charge out of everything, so I use those and wrap parchment around it to increase it even further. I think DK wraps parchment around a CD case, but I didn't like how bulky that was so I use smaller cards personally.

picture.php

One side has a negative charge while the other a positive, which is what separates the contaminant from the gland heads. I forget the science behind it but it was pretty damn interesting on Hash Church a few weeks back. I shouldn't smoke so much dry sift when I'm trying to learn things :laughing:

Things I've learned so far:

1) Don't use both sides of the card to swipe material back and forth, because that mixes the contaminant with the headies (duh)

2) Investing in a $7 currency scope is highly helpful in learning how to sift - how will we know what we're doing right or wrong if we can't see the purity of our last sift?

3) The yield difference between sifting in 65F conditions and sifting in <32F conditions is ten fold. I freeze my material for 24 hours beforehand now, and open the window that's next to my sifting table to keep stalks and heads brittle for easier extracting

4) Don't handle your resin when you're too high on resin. The other day I spilled a ton of headies all over my pants... I almost cried but I was far too baked to do so lol

5) Don't expect massive yields. 5% - 10% is normal, and you'll never make enough. I smoke mine as fast as I make it, and at most I'll have enough to save some for the morning to smoke before I begin sifting again. I guess that goes for any hash of high quality though... there's often not a lot of it around at one time unless a lot of material is used

picture.php

The hash station - I found these screens for under $20 ea. at www.poconoscreens.com. I also have a silicone nonstick brush that I use for brushing off the heads onto that glass plate there... I tried just using a card but I found that it breaks off contaminant easier than the delicate bristles on a brush. Plus, a brush is far faster for some reason. I've never understood all the little tools hash makers have in their tool box but after a few weeks of sifting and making my very first hash, I'm starting to get a glimpse of what it's like to be a hash maker.. and I've gained a new found respect for others who put so much of what they've got into this art. It is an art...

Team Microbe

Veteran
Where my dry sifters at?!

I'd love to hear how everyone's personal style of sifting, what size screens you use, and any advice you may have to share here

Dog Star

Veteran
Looking good TM,love examples on two first pics,looking pretty pure.

Have lot of trim but dont have those handy screens,how much microns are those?

Piff Rhys Jones

🌴 Hugging Trees 🌴
Veteran
Very nice TM.

Have you tried the non carding DSW method? This involves breaking your bud/trim up over the top screen, the contaminant and stalks are caught in the bottom screen due to their lighter density causing them to "float' sideways and become caught, and your pure heads are collected underneath the bottom screen.

If so, which method do you feel is superior?

Peace

Team Microbe

Veteran
Looking good TM,love examples on two first pics,looking pretty pure.

Have lot of trim but dont have those handy screens,how much microns are those?

140u and 73u - converts out to be about 200 lpi and 100 lpi

Very nice TM.

Have you tried the non carding DSW method? This involves breaking your bud/trim up over the top screen, the contaminant and stalks are caught in the bottom screen due to their lighter density causing them to "float' sideways and become caught, and your pure heads are collected underneath the bottom screen.

If so, which method do you feel is superior?

Peace

Thanks man :tiphat:

I haven't tried that method yet, but I was literally talking to him earlier today about that actually. He thinks the 140u is way too small, and says he uses bigger screens that "nobody else sells". He sounds like he's trying to sell me something whenever I talk to him but I can't help want to try out his method - especially if it's immediate and takes less time and effort than carding does. Does it yield as much as carding would though do you think?

why is there a fan pointing down at the screen?

That's what I do before I bounce to get the screens cold, the window is open next to the fan. I turn it off once the jars come out. If I could I would go outside to sift at night - we get temps that dip down into the single digits where I live... but I have neighbors that can see into my backyard so it wouldn't look so good if I were carding with a bright light back there in the middle of the night :laughing:

Piff Rhys Jones

🌴 Hugging Trees 🌴
Veteran
He thinks the 140u is way too small, and says he uses bigger screens that "nobody else sells". He sounds like he's trying to sell me something whenever I talk to him but I can't help want to try out his method - especially if it's immediate and takes less time and effort than carding does. Does it yield as much as carding would though do you think?

Not tried it myself but Bubbleman uses his own screens with the DSW method and seems to get good results. I would've thought it would work with your screens but who knows. If you do try it let us know how you get on!

Peace

Former Guest

Yourcorpse uses the DSW method with the dudes screens he was gifted. He loves the quickness of it. In all the reading I've done, dsw states his method is better than bubblemans. I would be more interested in dry sifting to 100% heads if it didn't take so long. I have a hard time with picking a method for hash making. One one hand I want the least amount if leaf material for health reasons, while the other hand says that if all you're smoking is hash, perhaps you should allow some plant material because you'll never have enough to smoke. I don't want to take one hit every hour; I want to smoke for hours. Not all of us have an oz to break down into a few grams of hash.

Team Microbe

Veteran
Yourcorpse uses the DSW method with the dudes screens he was gifted. He loves the quickness of it. In all the reading I've done, dsw states his method is better than bubblemans. I would be more interested in dry sifting to 100% heads if it didn't take so long. I have a hard time with picking a method for hash making. One one hand I want the least amount if leaf material for health reasons, while the other hand says that if all you're smoking is hash, perhaps you should allow some plant material because you'll never have enough to smoke. I don't want to take one hit every hour; I want to smoke for hours. Not all of us have an oz to break down into a few grams of hash.

The DSW method is enticing for sure, I haven't tried it yet but maybe one day I'll give it a go if he ever leaks his screen sizes to the public. From my conversations with him personally, I can say he's not the type of cat I would ever support financially or give my respect to outside of the hash making world - he can make some great hash but that's about it in my book. He has a lot of growing up to do I think.

The method I use along with everyone else doesn't take too long, and it's quite fun actually once you get the hang of it. And it always equals out to the same longevity of a high; whether you keep the heads intact in the flowers or not - you're smoking the same amount of thc/cbd ultimately. The only difference is the size of the hit we're able to take... that's why we go through hash quicker typically. If we were to take a dab with the amount of heads in a typical joint we would get laughed at I think because it would be so tiny compared to the average size that most people take. I would not want to be smoking pure heads every hour personally, more like every 6 hours because I would be far too spent to function if I did it more than that lol

I suggest you try it at least once, like most things :biggrin:

jgrow

The site you recommend doesnt sell a 140u and a 73u so did you just get the closest size they had or am I missing where on the site they sell those screens?

Team Microbe

Veteran
Just wait and you'll be smoking sift joints. One guy I know swears by them. :dunno:

Haha yeah right... that would scare the hell out of me to attempt such a feat :laughing:

The site you recommend doesnt sell a 140u and a 73u so did you just get the closest size they had or am I missing where on the site they sell those screens?

micron and lines per inch (us mesh) are two different things - LPI to Micron Conversion Chart

Screen printing companies work in LPI so we have to convert when buying... I had to send my first set of screens back because I had no idea lol

woolybear

Veteran
Cool to see someone trying this out with the pocono screens.

Trim/popcorn/large for dry sift, buds for ice hash.

I have a bunch of old material that I'm going to try turning into dry sift. I wonder if the guys at pocono noticed a bump in sales?

jgrow

micron and lines per inch (us mesh) are two different things - LPI to Micron Conversion Chart

Screen printing companies work in LPI so we have to convert when buying... I had to send my first set of screens back because I had no idea lol

Lol Now im still confused. What size screens did you order from the site you mentioned? Im about to take down a harvest in 2 weeks and would love to process some of the trim like this.

Team Microbe

Veteran
Cool to see someone trying this out with the pocono screens.

Trim/popcorn/large for dry sift, buds for ice hash.

I have a bunch of old material that I'm going to try turning into dry sift. I wonder if the guys at pocono noticed a bump in sales?

They may have, not from me but Cuban Grower has been giving their name out to people so I'm sure they have. They let a $7 charge slide when I sent back the wrong sized screens a few weeks back, so they have good customer service in my book. It's hard not to spend $18 a screen at Pocono, while DSW is charging like $200+ for a set :laughing:

Lol Now im still confused. What size screens did you order from the site you mentioned? Im about to take down a harvest in 2 weeks and would love to process some of the trim like this.

http://www.poconoscreen.com/Prod-18-1-153-39/20-x-24-wood-frame.htm

I ordered these frames - in mesh sizes 196 & 110. These convert to be 73u and 140u.

Team Microbe

Veteran
Last night's sift....

Last night's sift....

Had a great yield from some San Andreas Crack popcorn nugs last night! This stuff is real medicine, I sleep so much better after a toke or two before bed
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Cleaned twice, and really came out well to be honest. I think being gentle is the key to getting purity in the end product, big time. I bounced material for the "A" grade collection, then lightly used the weight of my hands to brush the popcorn over the 140u screen until too much green material started breaking off for my "B" grade. The leafy green pieces really get down into the resin balls below if I'm rough with the process at any point in time, and it's only making for more cleaning time in the end I feel like

So which screen sizes does everyone use out there?

What's worked best for you?

woolybear

Veteran
I'm ordering the 196 and 125 frames. 196 = 76u, 125 = 120u.

According to bubbleman 125u is smokeable good has. 65u (230 lpi) being the most optimal.

I have a few zips laying around of older material that i'll be running.

ic
oggF2FR.jpg

ic

JColtrane

Good job guy! Ordered the screens three wks ago, and am in the same boat ... starting to see results :woohoo:

Anyways I'll second scoping your shit all the time, and decide what to do.

Couple thing I have learned after watching all these great vids:

I use a balloon over my sift that has a static charge. This seems to pick up a lot of crap ... which I'll discard. Than I'll do the parchment teick to collect my heads ... works great.

Also sometime will set my small station up in a chest freezer (one that is just used for this purpose), and sift in it to get the cold temps ... I know it seems a little over board, but just playing around.

God damn this shit is fun :dance013:

Gonna give this a try too ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGx83KppSCQ

Team Microbe

Veteran
Good job guy! Ordered the screens three wks ago, and am in the same boat ... starting to see results :woohoo:

Anyways I'll second scoping your shit all the time, and decide what to do.

Couple thing I have learned after watching all these great vids:

I use a balloon over my sift that has a static charge. This seems to pick up a lot of crap ... which I'll discard. Than I'll do the parchment teick to collect my heads ... works great.

Also sometime will set my small station up in a chest freezer (one that is just used for this purpose), and sift in it to get the cold temps ... I know it seems a little over board, but just playing around.

God damn this shit is fun :dance013:

Gonna give this a try too ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGx83KppSCQ

Thanks! I heard BubbleMan talking about the balloon trick, I was wondering if that worked actually. Now I've gotta try it :dance013:

I love the chest freezer idea too... I bet it works well, yeah? I love making hash, I fell in love with it over these past 2 weeks and all the strange tools and gadgets that are needed to do what we have to do. It's like an art almost...