What's new

Question about shatter???

sneaky101

Ok, so I've used the search feature, google, and you tube. Read countless pages of various threads and I'm confused...my head hurts from trying to figure it out. So I figured since I am exhausted from looking, I would just go ahead and ask...

How do you make shatter? I've made honey oil and budder but can't get that hard candy consistency. I've read that you have to further refine it from just plain ole bho with 190 proof...then I've also read that it just depends on the strain your working with.

What I'm using ATM is some sour lifesaver sugar trim. After the tane has mostly evaporated (just bubbles left) I bring it in and put it on a candle warmer~135* until there are no more bubbles. Of course if I throw it in the freezer it hardens up, but once it is returned to room temp, it is a honey consistency. What am I doing wrong ? Ive used Whiteberry also with the same results. With it, it didn't matter if it was bud or trim I got the same results...more or less.

So...I'm sure there are tons of folks here that can help a brother out. Can't wait to read the results! :thank you:

man if youre getting clear bubble free sap every time with the consistency of honey youre doing just fine! Shatter is usually related to the material (as you can see with your trim samples) and is also shown to be closely related to how dry the starting material is as well. Most nice nugs with a proper cure that arent too old will give you that sappy consistency. Over purging also can produce shatter. But I wouldn't know anything about that :)

U

Ultra Current

You aren't getting shatter because you are using trim. I just made shatter with 1 solvent which was butane. The other step which doesn't involve a solvent I am not allowed to discuss. These old guys seem to want to keep secrets. Is not my choice.

You aren't getting shatter because you are using trim. I just made shatter with 1 solvent which was butane. The other step which doesn't involve a solvent I am not allowed to discuss. These old guys seem to want to keep secrets. Is not my choice.

What I'm bugging out with, is the secrets. What in Gods name is the reason for having this forum in the first place, unless you think that knowledge should be available for sharing?

I'm new all around, and I am going to do what Im going to do no matter what. Shouldn't this wonderful stuff I make (and Im just going to leave where I operate off this forum), shouldn't it be good and strong medicine that if I believed in God would say it was divinely inspired?

And on another note, you have no freaking clue what the impact of a disastrous attempt to make BHO, ETO..., could do to the maker, or worse the consumer/ patient?

May I end by saying that I have learned all this great knowledge from this forum, and I am duty sworn to make a long thread (with pictures if I figure out how to post them without a fingerprint), to detail the results and how I implement given advice and integrate with new knowledge.

Actually I want to say one last last thing, and this is directed at the people who withhold useful knowledge, sometimes its necessary to stop and reflect (helpful to toke) what are your motivations for doing what you do. If all it is is about money, than go ahead and dont share a thing, better yet browse the threads without ever contributing. But, if you have in part or in whole motivation coming from a good place in which you believe your doing a good thing with no sense of shame, than share. Its like the saying, fuck minds cloudy, "overgrow the White House" (or something). Lets either be professional business people who practice in a corporate culture and keep secrets, or we can build on a movement that was started by the first farmer who shared his grain seed with his neighbor out of a good heart.

U

Ultra Current

What I'm bugging out with, is the secrets. What in Gods name is the reason for having this forum in the first place, unless you think that knowledge should be available for sharing?

I'm new all around, and I am going to do what Im going to do no matter what. Shouldn't this wonderful stuff I make (and Im just going to leave where I operate off this forum), shouldn't it be good and strong medicine that if I believed in God would say it was divinely inspired?

And on another note, you have no freaking clue what the impact of a disastrous attempt to make BHO, ETO..., could do to the maker, or worse the consumer/ patient?

May I end by saying that I have learned all this great knowledge from this forum, and I am duty sworn to make a long thread (with pictures if I figure out how to post them without a fingerprint), to detail the results and how I implement given advice and integrate with new knowledge.

Actually I want to say one last last thing, and this is directed at the people who withhold useful knowledge, sometimes its necessary to stop and reflect (helpful to toke) what are your motivations for doing what you do. If all it is is about money, than go ahead and dont share a thing, better yet browse the threads without ever contributing. But, if you have in part or in whole motivation coming from a good place in which you believe your doing a good thing with no sense of shame, than share. Its like the saying, fuck minds cloudy, "overgrow the White House" (or something). Lets either be professional business people who practice in a corporate culture and keep secrets, or we can build on a movement that was started by the first farmer who shared his grain seed with his neighbor out of a good heart.

I agree. I think the information that iron lion gave is the method that is good. All the information is here. This old Guy just has his own method that he doesn't want to share and I have to respect that. You can still get the same result with the methods that they speak of here with the butane and the ethanol.

I agree. I think the information that iron lion gave is the method that is good. All the information is here. This old Guy just has his own method that he doesn't want to share and I have to respect that. You can still get the same result with the methods that they speak of here with the butane and the ethanol.

What about adding activated carbon?

U

Ultra Current

Im Not the Guy to talk to about this. This is all new to me. Iron lion seems like the Guy to get advice from or whoever else.there's a bannana ladyboy thread that explains the method that they use.

Im Not the Guy to talk to about this. This is all new to me. Iron lion seems like the Guy to get advice from or whoever else.there's a bannana ladyboy thread that explains the method that they use.

I know the source to what your talking about. If its "Gray Wolf" than thats the guy. I just want to know what everyone thinks about using activated carbon. I want to know if your losing any of the good with the bad when you use activated carbon?

U

Ultra Current

I know the source to what your talking about. If its "Gray Wolf" than thats the guy. I just want to know what everyone thinks about using activated carbon. I want to know if your losing any of the good with the bad when you use activated carbon?

LOL yeah it was grey wolf. I guess I was confused with the animal names and all the shatter I smoked.

Yeah, I put alot of trust in Gray Wolf, with evidence from my results, but I still want to hear diverse voices on certain matters such as using activated carbon. I want to know if anyone is not using it for some reason?

I even want to hear the opinions from any law enforcement agent who is following this forum with one hand while he yanks his pecker with the other.

Oh so back to the main point of this thread, I think I know some of the steps:

1. Main extraction with propane, butane, pentane, hexane, heptane...
2. Filter through something like a pasta strainer
3. Filter through a coffee strainer
4. purge in a vacuum vessel, chamber, pot, or maybe a jar with a vacuum jar seeler
5. add ethanol (190 proof food grade should work)
6. put container with solution in freezer for 12-48 hours (wish I knew what this discrepancy is about)
7. filter solution through a coffee filter (for coffee filters maybe go for permanent type)
8 Run solution through a 0.2um syringe filter (after this waxes should be gone
9. Add I dont know how much activated carbon
10. sit for I dont know how long
11. filter out carbon through coffee filter than syringe filter
12. final vacuum purge and now you should have glass

RulaTone

Veteran
Use flowers, and be careful.
You had goo cause you used trim.
Trim is higher in waxes and will produce a softer oil usually.
Try with whole buds, do not grind or break them.
Or check for winterization procedure on this forum.

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Do you want the flavor or the shatter? IMO to make shatter, unless BHO off popcorn or nugs outa freezer, you loose a lot of the terpenes in the process.
A mate leaves his on a USB coffee cup warmer overnite to purge all solvent and then to cool. I've seen shetter made from rough long acetone soaks for kicks, required carbon soaks etc..U can take your lower quality oil and redissolve in minimum 95% ethanol, filter insolubles then put overnite in freezer and gunks crash out. Filter again and evap ethanol on double boil or heatmat etc..rid of all solvent the stuff with go from runny toffee to hard shatter with a few degrees of temp change.. Shatter is hard to work with sometimes haha

jump117

Veteran
activated carbon

activated carbon

I just want to know what everyone thinks about using activated carbon.
I want to know if your losing any of the good with the bad when you use activated carbon?

I still want to hear diverse voices on certain matters such as using activated carbon.
I want to know if anyone is not using it for some reason?

9. Add I dont know how much activated carbon
10. sit for I dont know how long
11. filter out carbon through coffee filter than syringe filter

Hey SpinLover1 !

Here (click) I reported and illustrated the action of activated charcoal incl. its appetite for good resin.

try to use "search" option to find the answers. lol :thank you:

sneaky101

Wow, looks like I missed the debate when I went to bed last night. Thanks for the info. So I guess I had (at least the theory part) it almost figured out. The syringe filter was new to me though. I will have to check into that later today.

With my extraction tube (DIY) I purchased the metal screen and rubber stopper from okief and that is the only filtration I use ATM. I have been Leary of using a coffee filter (idk, just doesn't seem right to me) but it obviously works wonders. So, after the soak and freezing of the honey in 190 proof and then filter through the syringe filter I just need to evaporate the ethanol? Is the carbon optional, does it really hold on to the bad stuff after mixing and washing with more ethanol? Oh, and I need vac purge equip?

Whew, and I thought I was kicking ass with the honey (non med state and I am the first anyone I know who ventured this far into concentrates). One of my freinds say that I have leveled up, lol when it comes to cannabis. Guess there are still a couple more levels to reach for.

Wow, looks like I missed the debate when I went to bed last night. Thanks for the info. So I guess I had (at least the theory part) it almost figured out. The syringe filter was new to me though. I will have to check into that later today.

With my extraction tube (DIY) I purchased the metal screen and rubber stopper from okief and that is the only filtration I use ATM. I have been Leary of using a coffee filter (idk, just doesn't seem right to me) but it obviously works wonders. So, after the soak and freezing of the honey in 190 proof and then filter through the syringe filter I just need to evaporate the ethanol? Is the carbon optional, does it really hold on to the bad stuff after mixing and washing with more ethanol? Oh, and I need vac purge equip?

Whew, and I thought I was kicking ass with the honey (non med state and I am the first anyone I know who ventured this far into concentrates). One of my freinds say that I have leveled up, lol when it comes to cannabis. Guess there are still a couple more levels to reach for.

You can try searching for a permanent coffee filter on Amazon to atleast know what the highest rated ones are. Thought I read that one had 1um pores. The rest of what you wrote should really be answered by someone with more experience.

So not to get personal but your also in a no-grow state? Where I am its really freaking hard to get hash. And to ask people about trim you get laughed off. Anyways, I am not well connected (thats why Im on this forum), and am wondering if people in the no grow states are taking concentrates seriously?

sneaky101

I am. I'm tired of the feeling I get from smoking flowers. Just seem like it drags my body down (can someone say couch lock). I grow my own, so trim isn't a big deal. I'm kinda anal about trimming, so it's mostly sugar trim that I use. I think I am almost to a point to where I can almost solely use concentrates. That is my goal. Aside from the health benefits (at least how I see it) it will take much less to get more. As far as people around my neck of the woods taking it seriously...all my freinds love it when I come around. Some have actually turned hash down because they dont want to get too fucked up. Is there a such thing? Lol. No one knows I grow, but I'm sure they will eventually put the pieces together.

I am becoming an efficianado of sorts about hash it seems these days. I have my shaker box that I use to break up the flowers, and what I have now is dropping some serious kif in there. I know this wont impress people in med states, but I've got me a little collection going. Hash oil, honey, budder, kif, pressed kif, and about to make earwax (I think that is what it is called...mixing kif with honey). From someone who really never had much hash, mostly water extracted, to having a plethora to choose from...I'm stoked. Can't wait for my skillet to arrive, and I'm thinking about getting a portable vape too. My magic flight launch box just isn't doing the trick for me. I like the idea of making little shatter balls small enough to fit inside the loading hole of the Thermovape Revolution. Seems like it would be much easier than trying to dab some honey in there. That is the real reason for the thread. +, wo wou
Don't want to smoke/vape more feigned hash?

Latest posts

Latest posts