What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Distinguished and Nurtured Kind

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Frank, it just clicked that I think you said they were seeds growing in that bed. As far as I'm aware, clones of the same plant do better in beds than individual pots, but seeds compete in a bed and do better in pots/tubs. Are you running them in beds in order to identify the strongest plants, or just for simplicity sake?

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
@GMT - they are seed plants, meaning I haven't flowered them out yet - but it's clones of various phenos in the bed. I've never found the different phenos competing to be a real world issue. I've run beds before with multiple varieties and even entirely different species of plants without issue.

I'm running them in beds, because it should maximize yield potential. My per plant root volume will always be larger in a bed, and thus my yields.

I've always wanted to run a true SOG. It just doesn't work in containers when using a water only organic soil. There isn't enough room for the necessary amendments. Then containers get too large and you are outside of the necessary footprint.

This entire room was designed to eventually run SOG. It's been my dream system since I planted my first seed some 16+ years ago. Going for it and building a soil bed vs using containers was a milestone for me. That was a graduation phase. I had to accept I'm not breaking this grow down in any sort of hurry - that I was going to be in one location for an extended period of time.

Planting those first 16 at 4 per square foot was epic. I've wanted to grow, in this style, for a very long time. Each plant has roughly 1.81 gallons of soil to itself. That is PLENTY to get an average yield of 1 oz per plant - the end goal. 2# in this closet. It's an ambitious goal, but not impossible.

Call it a personal preference more than anything, I suppose. I think it will allow me to sort the highest number of plants, the fastest - which is also part of the end goal - getting through some of these seeds and retaining what is of merit.

I'm actually okay with planting 32 regular seeds and just culling half the room as well - as long as I'm coming off a mono-crop run the prior cycle. :joint:

dank.Frank

E

ESTERCHASER

OH...WAIT!!!

I almost forgot the money shot. Just so everyone is clear I am using the tech as intended. These plants have been under this spectrum since about the 2nd week of their lives. They started under T8 fluro racks, just because I know that works for germination.

The room is too bright to really stand in and look at very long. But it's that hazy overcast day sort of bright that just makes you wince - even though it's not that bright out. It's sort of odd, but if it does what was promised...

View Image

Side note - cleaned and oiled the fan in this picture this evening - I can't even begin to explain the difference. I THOUGHT it used to move a lot more air. It did. It was barely moving comparatively.

dank.Frank

beds of say.......4 x 4 seem to have great results, i can see where your going.

nickman

Veteran
AWSOME...!!!...

AWSOME...!!!...

I’m real happy to see those plants in that bed...

Realistically, I think two pounds might be a bit much... But if anyone was to achieve that goal,I’d hope it be you...!!!...

You said the plants have roughly two gallons of soil to themselves... I use three gallon grow bags to flower in and definitely get more than an ounce per plant... I don’t weigh my stuff but I’d say using a three gallon bag I usually get around two to three ounces a plant... depending on phenotype as well ...!!!...

I myself have also always wanted to try a SOG style grow... I just think that would give me the biggest yeild in my rooms... I’ve just never tried it... the most plants I’ve flowered in one of my rooms is about 12-13 plants I think... under a 1000 watt light... in a 5x7x7 room...

The thing that worries me about trying it is being organic and how u say it’s not sufficient to do with amended soil in smaller pots... I’d most likely have to use the three’s still...!!!...

I’ve always vegged under my T5’s 8 lights at four foot long... two of them... and flowered under the HID 1000 watter

I always have to give my plants support ...!!!... phenotype depending...

I can’t wait to see some of those FAM95’s...!!!...
should be killer plants in there man...!!!...

On a side note: have you listened to ABF, Always Be Flowering on the PotCast ?... I don’t have a link but it’s a really good listen... it’s about three hours so... I’m gonna listen to it again right now as I harvest a plant...!!!...

Peace bro...:tiphat:...

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
last few posts cleared up some questions i had.
did you not say you were getting a soil test tho'?
how are you amending without it?

maybe i missed some posts...
carry on!

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes. I need to get soil tests done yet. I did sort a sample from the bed this morning though, to test what it's like when depleted.

How do I know with full confidence it will work?

The recipe isn't based on idea - it's based on solid scientific principles and mathematical formulas. Also, by looking at the health of the plants at the end of the last 2 rounds and those that are currently in the bed.

"It's not my first rodeo", comes to mind, but that has a mouthy feel to it - but it is in part experience.

I have everything necessary to send for soil test results, I just haven't done so yet.

dank.Frank

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
2020 - So much promise held in this upcoming year. So much to do.

I'm back bitches!!!! :joint:

I know I faltered a bit at the end of the year. I've had a lot on my emotional plate. I tend to wear my heart on my sleeve, which is a blessing and a curse.

This next year - is going to be a roller coaster I do believe. I'm poised for so much growth in so many different facets of my life - it's like a culmination year - feels like so much has been building to this very moment. I've seen it in my minds eye, the fork in the road - the moment when things change. It's all about choice.

I've made some strange choices the last part of 2019. I've taken some extremely ignorant risks. Selling flower again to offset income desires. Not smart. I consider going to Boston and showing my face - and becoming "real" to some people a huge risk. I consider letting a woman into my life to be perhaps the dumbest move of the decade. Certifiable. Hand me my award.

I say all those things - knowing - I've broken the rules of this game:

1. NO TELL.
2. NO SELL.
3. NO SMELL.

I still have my industrial filter game on point though...LOL. 1 of 3. Ouch. I'd be a liar if I didn't admit to having some sort of rabid microorganism gnawing away at my cerebral cortex telling me I'm completely fucked now...up shit creek without a paddle...a moron.

I've been told before, "You're not going to be happy until you're in prison, are you?" - in regards to my absolute failure to mitigate and manage the risk assessments.

Even with all that - I'm still - without question - so beyond hype - just F.U.C.K.I.N.G. excited about what's next. About growing cannabis again. I love this plant. I really do. I wish I knew the exact words to say to give everyone that "ah-ha" moment...

Cannabis saved my life. It returned to me my rational mind. It freed me from a life of scheduled and prescribed addiction. Cannabis gave me an alternative. Not just to medicine - but to life. Cannabis set me free. Mind. Heart. Body. Soul. Cannabis saved me.

I've been asked - WTF are you doing in an illegal state. Why isn't someone like you in Cali or Colorado or Oregon?

I live on the front lines. People seem to forget we are at war with our government. Battles have been won, but the war still rages. There are still human beings in cages for this plant. The war is NOT OVER. We have not won yet. There is still work to be done. The tides never change if everyone seeks safety and forgets how we got to a point of change in the first place. Civil disobedience.

"It can all start from a seed." "They can't catch us all." "At times I forget, it takes balls to do this."

F.U.C.K.E.M.

Overgrow prohibition in 2020!!! Happy New Year.

dank.Frank

Last edited:

nickman

Veteran
Right on brother...!!!... I’m right with you...

I can relate to so much you’ve just said, kinda weird...!!!...

I’m dealing with problems with my significant other that may lead to me having to take a break from growing unfortunately...!!!...

This shit is my life though and I’m just scared that I’ll be lost without being able to grow for a little while... it’s all up to me what I want to do for my future BUT I know what I NEED TO DO ...!!!...

Fucking females... I think I’d really just be more happy with me and my DOG...lol...
I’m so tired of worrying what she’s gonna do next...
there’s a lot more to it that I’m not going to get into on an open public forum but this new year I think may definitely bring some changes...!!!...

Peace bro, and HappyNew Years

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Hoping the best possible for you both going into 2020. I decided to pull the plug on growing until I can become a hermit sometime in the future, I seem to be revisiting the phrase "People are the problem" alot lately.

White Beard

2020 - So much promise held in this upcoming year. So much to do.

I'm back bitches!!!! :joint:

I know I faltered a bit at the end of the year. I've had a lot on my emotional plate. I tend to wear my heart on my sleeve, which is a blessing and a curse.

This next year - is going to be a roller coaster I do believe. I'm poised for so much growth in so many different facets of my life - it's like a culmination year - feels like so much has been building to this very moment. I've seen it in my minds eye, the fork in the road - the moment when things change. It's all about choice.

I've made some strange choices the last part of 2019. I've taken some extremely ignorant risks. Selling flower again to offset income desires. Not smart. I consider going to Boston and showing my face - and becoming "real" to some people a huge risk. I consider letting a woman into my life to be perhaps the dumbest move of the decade. Certifiable. Hand me my award..

I've been told before, "You're not going to be happy until you're in prison, are you?" - in regards to my absolute failure to mitigate and manage the risk assessments.

Even with all that - I'm still - without question - so beyond hype - just F.U.C.K.I.N.G. excited about what's next. About growing cannabis again. I love this plant. I really do. I wish I knew the exact words to say to give everyone that "ah-ha" moment...

Cannabis saved my life. It returned to me my rational mind. It freed me from a life of scheduled and prescribed addiction. Cannabis gave me an alternative. Not just to medicine - but to life. Cannabis set me free. Mind. Heart. Body. Soul. Cannabis saved me.

I've been asked - WTF are you doing in an illegal state. Why isn't someone like you in Cali or Colorado or Oregon?

I live on the front lines. People seem to forget we are at war with our government. Battles have been won, but the war still rages. There are still human beings in cages for this plant. The war is NOT OVER. We have not won yet. There is still work to be done. The tides never change if everyone seeks safety and forgets how we got to a point of change in the first place. Civil disobedience.

"It can all start from a seed." "They can't catch us all." "At times I forget, it takes balls to do this.”

Blessings to you, Frank! The holidays can and do do that to us all. ‘19 exposed a lot of things I’d rather not look at, but you can’t fix it if you won’t look, and like you, I’ve got big changes in my near future, ready to strike out on my own again. At 70, without friends, family, or resources beyond my own work and effort, it’s a hard thing to look at hard, but when you’re in the wrong place doing the wrong things, eventually you have to look.

One reason is I, too, need to grow. My growing experiences are nothing, one plant never more than 14” high, handled as ignorantly as you could imagine with the most unproductive result imaginable. Except I fell in love with the plant - or rather, I fell in love with the spirit of the plant. I used to sit with it for hours, just looking at it.

Like you in a prohibition state; and while I might be able to work a connection that could pull me to legal territory, my roots are here. What’s left of my people are here, and I will not abandon what I have left. I have feelers out, I have some base, still developing contacts in search of a landing situation from which to build out. I’m old but not worthless, and I do plenty of hard work, so I’m not afraid. Except...of casting up somewhere, too old to work, no base, homeless. I’d like to skip that. I hate moving and can’t look forward to the transition because the transition will break a lot of what I still have...but... I don’t care anymore. Nothing’s a bigger risk than not breaking out, whatever the cost.

I only tell this silly story to let you know that I feel it too.

Hope it’s your best year yet, all around:tiphat:

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Right on brother...!!!... I’m right with you... I can relate to so much you’ve just said, kinda weird...!!!...

I’m dealing with problems with my significant other that may lead to me having to take a break from growing unfortunately...!!!...

This shit is my life though and I’m just scared that I’ll be lost without being able to grow for a little while... it’s all up to me what I want to do for my future BUT I know what I NEED TO DO ...!!!...

Fucking females... I think I’d really just be more happy with me and my DOG...lol...

I’m so tired of worrying what she’s gonna do next...
there’s a lot more to it that I’m not going to get into on an open public forum but this new year I think may definitely bring some changes...!!!...

Peace bro, and HappyNew Years

The last girl I dated - many, many years ago - the one that set me on this path of denying anyone an opportunity to know me for nearly a decade - was an issue. I won't tell the full story, but there is a moderator here, who had to drive me half way home to catch up with this girl, who out of spite and arrogance, decided to leave me in another state - but mostly because she was impatient and shouldn't have been on the trip in the first place. I told her as much but she insisted it wouldn't be a big deal...LOL. 14 hours of trimming later... :laughing: I knew she wasn't "the one".

I understand where you are coming from - I've been in that unpredictable, never know what's going to happen next, sort of relationship - and she's the same one I mentioned earlier in the thread, that called LEO when we finally went our separate ways. She also got me evicted once, but that's a different story. Hmmm. In thinking about it, that really was a BAD relationship. Geez.

When I moved previously, it was to build Stank Bros into a more realistic concept - and then just a few months into that decision, Phillthy was busted - and our genetic library lost because I hadn't gotten running yet.

That some how turned into 5 1/2 years of not growing. Not having a situation to safely do so. If you do have to stop growing - might I suggest getting into something else - botanically related - just to scratch the itch. You could keep the exact same setup going - just change what you are putting under it. Even if it's orchids or something else off the wall - yet challenging in a new direction.

All that time off. I get two cycles in a year...LOL - then get distracted. 3rd cycle just getting out the gate - and I'm realizing something - as I sit there and stare at plants that are just starting to spread roots and stand taller. As I'm staring at them for 15 minutes here and 20 minutes there and 30 minutes later - over the course of the day, I pause and spend time with my garden. It's a natural extension of my existence. I NEED that in my life in order to be...me. And there is something uniquely special about growing cannabis - outside of the fact I know what those flowers will do - :biggrin: there is an allure to her - a beauty all her own. So while gardening in general is great, I've not found anything I enjoy growing as much as cannabis.

This woman I've met - she gets it. She'd never want to take something so meaningful to my existence away from me. She knows doing so would leave a somewhat hollowed out shell of what could be. Though, I'm quickly realizing, I could say the same about having a relationship with a woman again - I tend to be a better version of myself when I get to share this side of my being with another. I'm reminded of a quote in having this discussion:

"And so it turned out only a life similar to the life of those around us, merging with it without a ripple, is genuine life, and that an unshared happiness is not happiness." (Into the Wild)

That really hits home for me and it's something I've pondered many times, while being alone - what "that" life looked like - what a shared existence was, and if the truest happiness is experiencing this world, with someone by your side. For the first time ever, I'm with a woman who enjoys cannabis and is even a bit mystified by it. She has her own personal respect for the plant - which is honestly why I don't think I'd ever have to quit growing regardless of what happens with her in the future. That might just be my own reverse psychology in play for breaking rule #1, but I don't think so - it's because of who she is. That's what gave me the confidence to be honest with her in the first place, in all fairness.

I hate to hear you're having some issues that make you question not just your relationship but your ability to garden. That's a hell of a pickle and I hope you are able to find a way to slow things down a bit and get a better grasp of the big picture scenarios, which can maybe lead you to a path of resolution.

It really does come down to what you want, ultimately. Like you said. If you want the woman in your life, you WILL find a way to foster and grow that aspect of your reality.

You can always drop me a PM if you want to vent. I'll be honest in saying, I felt really odd saying anything about relationships in my thread, but I'm glad I did. No one else can understand the complexities of dating a grower - except other growers.

dank.Frank

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I decided to pull the plug on growing until I can become a hermit sometime in the future, I seem to be revisiting the phrase "People are the problem" alot lately.

Hate hearing you're pulling the plug. You have to do what you know is best. Back up your mothers with your buddies and live to plant another day. Stay safe, brother!

dank.Frank

Last edited:

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Im out of rep man lol, My mind is at ease and I feel very focused lately. Ill be sure to put it to good use and Ill be around on the forums too.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Blessings to you, Frank! The holidays can and do do that to us all. ‘19 exposed a lot of things I’d rather not look at, but you can’t fix it if you won’t look, and like you, I’ve got big changes in my near future, ready to strike out on my own again. At 70, without friends, family, or resources beyond my own work and effort, it’s a hard thing to look at hard, but when you’re in the wrong place doing the wrong things, eventually you have to look.

One reason is I, too, need to grow. My growing experiences are nothing, one plant never more than 14” high, handled as ignorantly as you could imagine with the most unproductive result imaginable. Except I fell in love with the plant - or rather, I fell in love with the spirit of the plant. I used to sit with it for hours, just looking at it.

Like you in a prohibition state; and while I might be able to work a connection that could pull me to legal territory, my roots are here. What’s left of my people are here, and I will not abandon what I have left. I have feelers out, I have some base, still developing contacts in search of a landing situation from which to build out. I’m old but not worthless, and I do plenty of hard work, so I’m not afraid. Except...of casting up somewhere, too old to work, no base, homeless. I’d like to skip that. I hate moving and can’t look forward to the transition because the transition will break a lot of what I still have...but... I don’t care anymore. Nothing’s a bigger risk than not breaking out, whatever the cost.

I only tell this silly story to let you know that I feel it too.

Hope it’s your best year yet, all around:tiphat:

None of our stories are silly. It's those collective stories that make us a movement.

I can't imagine, getting to 70 - and NOT having had the experience of growing this plant. Without knowing your current situation, I'd encourage you to look into getting a small 2 x 2 tent - or, framing out a small space - but get a garden going!!!

There are enough soil recipes and fertilizer charts around the internet these days, that anyone should be able to pull off a decent harvest with some proper planning.

Great seeds available all over the place now as well. Maybe go with some feminized beans to ensure you don't have to sort out any males. Check out Relentless Genetics for good modern feminized crosses - or Nspecta CSI: Humboldt.

I understand being rooted to a particular area/location. I've moved around a lot in my life and can't really call any one place "home". I've held a small resentment in my thoughts over the years because of that. Many others, who have lived in one place their entire lives, have that established "good 'ole boy" network in which to build their existence around. I've never had that. It's always sort of been me against the world and blazing my own path to a not yet arrived at destination.

Feel free to ask me for help regarding your growing journey. Let's see that you have a plant that is at least 20" tall in 2020. :huggg:

This thread is proof it's like riding a bike. Once you know - you never forget.

dank.Frank

genetic freaked

Veteran
Happy New Year DF! Let’s get 2020 off to a boom with the bed.
I hope this run is flawless and your able to enter the ICMag cup like you wanted (if there is one this year)

White Beard

None of our stories are silly. It's those collective stories that make us a movement.

I can't imagine, getting to 70 - and NOT having had the experience of growing this plant. Without knowing your current situation, I'd encourage you to look into getting a small 2 x 2 tent - or, framing out a small space - but get a garden going!!!

There are enough soil recipes and fertilizer charts around the internet these days, that anyone should be able to pull off a decent harvest with some proper planning.

Great seeds available all over the place now as well. Maybe go with some feminized beans to ensure you don't have to sort out any males. Check out Relentless Genetics for good modern feminized crosses - or Nspecta CSI: Humboldt.

I understand being rooted to a particular area/location. I've moved around a lot in my life and can't really call any one place "home". I've held a small resentment in my thoughts over the years because of that. Many others, who have lived in one place their entire lives, have that established "good 'ole boy" network in which to build their existence around. I've never had that. It's always sort of been me against the world and blazing my own path to a not yet arrived at destination.

Feel free to ask me for help regarding your growing journey. Let's see that you have a plant that is at least 20" tall in 2020. :huggg:

This thread is proof it's like riding a bike. Once you know - you never forget.
As our friend *ibechillen* says, it’s largely been people that have been the problem: in the last installment, I had bought a house and outbuilding, and was designing things in my head and pricing equipment...when I learned that my new next-door neighbor was the local chief of police...lost the house in the mortgage mess (‘collateral damage’ they call it), and my credit, savings, and investments with it - and with the exit screw job I got from my until-then wife.... moved to an apt without room or privacy, then into my current situation thanks to next (now current, soon ex) where I don’t run anything, there is opposition to weed, and there is literally no room for even a 2x2, and I’d be in the street if I pushed it. I’ve fought pretty hard a while not to be forced into that position; it’s been difficult, but this is about me, not her, not us, so I can’t mix my needs and reasons with hers, yet I can’t avoid it.

At this point, I’ve done everything I can prior to my wife and I reaching an understanding about separation. The conversation has begun. Much of it is age difference. Then I can begin to search for a landing spot. Yeah, sure, if I still had a pile of friends and were we all still alive and hearty, it’d be no thing: a friend would make space, we’d clear my stuff out, then have the conversation, but I have my own expectations of my ethical self, and I want to do this clean in every way I can.

I no longer care about things like marriage and romance, and even sex: the pleasure was never equal to the trouble, but I was never any good at that sort of thing; being an observant and devout white teen in the segregated south did a number on me as far as how to interpret signals, or send them, ‘cause it was a minefield.

There’s a lot I don’t care about anymore. I care about making and keeping friends, I care about finding a place to die. I care about using the last years of my life in a way that makes me want to live longer. I care about growing and sharing and partaking of weed, and the friendships it feeds. I care about feeling okay. I care about being a good neighbor.

Where I’m from, the old-boy network ran everything (still does mostly, just more convoluted now), and I learned to steer clear of them before I’d reached double digits: they were bullies if it came to it, they were treacherous, and they didn’t care about you, for most meaning of your. People sucked up, but blacks in the south were locked down hard, and I learned early that what one will do to another, they will do to you if they choose. The front lines, like you said.

I always felt it’s not so much we are our brothers’ keepers, we *are* our brothers - and owe it to ourselves to be better at keeping ourselves up.

I thank you (and others) for offers of assistance, and saying “I’m deeply grateful” doesn’t really express it. Once I secure a space, I will bring it all here for hashing through, and I welcome your company and advice then as well as now. I thank you for being the person you show yourself to be.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
12wk harvest date, just assuming that would be the longest anything would go - would put things at the end of March. If I get things flipped, we just might make it. Not sure what I'd enter seeing how everything going in the bed I've never even flowered before. Maybe I'll get lucky and this London Loud #8 will really impress. In a way, I really need the Sis/PK to kick some roots so I have at least one strain upon which to make a comparative basis to CHM grown flowers.

That's what those two holes are for. Hoping some Chem Sis/PK show roots in the next couple of days.

Filled the bed with:

Loud #6 - 2 cuts
Loud #2 - 6 cuts
Loud #8 - 6 cuts

It's what rooted. It's what's getting run. Not going to wait any longer for a more ideal layout. Just going to go with it. I need some flower.

Amendments and some earthworm castings.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I'm glad there is only 4 days apart between the two plantings. That shouldn't be TOO big a deal later down the road in flower. Given it's a bit of a mix bag, I'll just play it by ear. If these plants happen to yield and the lights happen to work, I could be in for a real treat.

Temps are staying steady around 74-77 with the door sealed. That, is something to really like. Resin production and terp profiles should be much better this round.

Okay, HGLED - Penetrator XB200 - let's see what you've really got. Everything is set and proper. It's up to the technology now.

All 5 phenos of London Loud are in flower now. 2, 4, 6, 8 and 9. Just how it worked. Mochiesel #9 is also in flower. She was the most sour leaning plant. I expect Loud#6 to really yield. Loud #8 to really reek. Loud #9 was also the most sour leaning in the Loud cluster so I'm watching it closely as well. Should be a really good group of plants.

:woohoo:

dank.Frank

Latest posts

Latest posts