What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Two heads, ten plants

two heads

Veteran
Nice to see The Boys dropping by. Yeah harper reminds me of Superintendent Chalmers' description of Principal Skinner - "sexless freak"...

And yes I believe that bill was passed in January. The new normal...

Both our sites are urban wasteland so to speak. Mainly because they are bicycle accessible but also because you look less suspicious than out in the country. I remember scouting a remote location in the winter once. I drove in an unmaintained road and parked by the frozen river I was considering using to canoe in to a wetland. Not five minutes went by before a local (and his dogs!) appeared out of nowhere wondering "what's up?". I said I was thinking of paddling this river come spring and asked if it was navigable all the way to the lake but I sure didn't go back.

jeffd7766

yea forget that hiking 3 miles to the patch shit.......did that with 15 bales of promix this year to have all plants pulled out.....i grew up in the country....and to think back....all i did was wander around in the woods......NOW i like to put them right in peoples faces.... and watch them get F*n huge

Nunsacred

:) Great thread and lovely pics, nice work.

Got a similar grow style to you, with plants near public paths etc.

"gurgling at inopportune moments" made me smile, I've been trying to use plastic soda bottles silently using tape spiral on outside to prevent folding/unfolding sounds. It usually works well enough but one careless move and it's that unmistakeable noise, louder than you'd think possible if you hadn't just witnessed it.

Will be interested to see how you get on with the tall orange bud cross, I've been tying some of mine down and still wondering if I have to cut growth back.

Best wishes for this year's grow

two heads

Veteran
I checked out your thread Nunsacred. Some of those pics looked like they really are out in the open. Have you ever suffered a rip-off? We've kept 2-4 urban sites every year for 14 years with only one rip. I suspect we would have not done as well in the countryside.

Happy gardening everyone!

Nunsacred

Yes, I've had a couple of plants ripped.
I found out when they got to a good size that the place I'd chosen
was basically a big rabbit warren, and people go there to shoot the rabbits

But in general people seem to be very unobservant. :D

So nice to see you Two Heads are still at it in the wet. So few of the old overgrow crowd seem to be around. Three quips...

First, awesome plants as usual...good luck bringing it all home.

Second, I am again out in the peat bog as you trained me years ago...12 plants in all: Esbe gear mostly, hashplant, grapefruit X deep chunk, arne and my own creation, erdpurt/afghani x timewarp.

Third, a question...do you guys have any trouble out in the wetland with mice? All of my erdpurts were munched. The stems were bitten off 8-10 inches off the ground and left to die. When this began, I surrounded everything with chickenwire, but it kept happening.

So it is not deer I theorize, but mice enticed by the wine red stems and stink of that strain. The last time I saw this was years ago with D. J. Shorts original blueberry.

Any ideas gentlemen? Meanwhile, the rest of my plants have actual plastic tubes protecting the stems, the kind you would put around a fruit tree.

Again, good luck two heads in the next 8 weeks where it all happens...Jeff

two heads

Veteran
Thanks for dropping in Jeff and great to hear you're still plugging away in the bog. Your problem sure sounds like slugs to me. I replied to your thread about it a while ago but I'm not sure you saw it. We had the same problem in 2008. If you want to look up the tragic outcome, but here's what it looked like:

10853New_damage.JPG

We use slug bait in the swamp now and apply a few times a year.

Unless you mean they chew them right off kind of (like a beaver on a tree) and then maybe it is some kind of rodent. The plastic tube idea sounds good but I guess it would have to be wide enough to allow for growth. Our swamp is too wet for mice but we once lost a branch to a muskrat who must have decided it was in the way!

two heads

Veteran
Early Baby's Breath

Early Baby's Breath

This week's watering run in the cedars was done during daylight, using our reservoir so I got some pics of their progress. First up, the Early Baby's Breath which is a model citizen out there. Big and sturdy without towering like the B2 and Orange Bud cross.

picture.php

And the buds are absolutely classic Baby's Breath! Here's a sampling from the two plants at this site:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The proof will be in the smoking of course but so far this early variant looks like a winner.

two heads

Veteran
B2

B2

The B2 variant of Baby's Breath is a bit of a giant, though not as much as the Orange bud cross. This pic shows both B2 plants in the cedars. You can just see the second one behind and to the right. They're tall alright:

picture.php

As noticed last time, this variant is like the mother and has only a hint of pink:

picture.php

picture.php

...or none at all:

picture.php

two heads

Veteran
Orange Bud cross

Orange Bud cross

When we last visited at night, the Orange Bud cross seemed huge in the dark but seemed incredibly sturdy for such a gangly plant. It's filling out and still seems very sturdy:

picture.php

If it starts to lean or tips over we'll have to also make a swamp visit to run some support strings because we have an Orange Bud cross out there that is equally monstrous. I was able to measure it roughly this time and it is almost 9 feet tall over and above the garbage pail it is in. Here's how it looks from below:

picture.php

It's buds are a bit behind the two Baby's Breath variants but looking good nonetheless:

picture.php

In spite of their height, these plants blend in pretty well with the dense cedars around them. These pics show both B2s and the Orange Bud cross, from different angles:

picture.php

picture.php

two heads

Veteran
Water to the cedars

Water to the cedars

There's been rain so it's been almost two weeks since we had to water but we went out Friday to give them what we had left in the reservoir and see how they are progressing. The news is all good. They were just needing water and they all were strong and sturdy with good bud formation. First, the two Early Baby's Breath - you can see the second in the background.

picture.php

This seed strain seems amazingly consistent and early - and deep pink!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

two heads

Veteran
There are two B2 seed strains here. One has a fair bit of pink, the other, not so much. They are growing similar however. The first B2 and it's bud:

picture.php

picture.php

and the second B2 and it's bud:

picture.php

picture.php

two heads

Veteran
The orange cross

The orange cross

The huge orange has stopped getting taller and is still looking sturdy enough it doesn't need guy lines:

picture.php

It has a pure white bud:

picture.php

It's been almost a month since the last swamp site visit. That's a good thing but I must admit I'm curious. Our experience is that the swamp starts slower than the cedars and finishes with a punch so I hope to be impressed when I visit sometime soon - and then hopefully not come back till harvest day. It's nice to have the cedar site, which we have to visit to water, so we have an idea of how things are going but for me the swamp is the ultimate guerilla garden.

crfhonda

Im gonna say the same thing as I did last year lol. You need to make some seeds from those babies breath and let others join in on the experience! Looking great as always.

two heads

Veteran
We'd like to do this crfhonda. Last year we didn't get enough seed and it's hard to say how much we'll get this year. I do feel we've stabilized Baby's Breath enough to warrant selling seed however. The early pink in particular is looking remarkably consistent. It's sturdy, stocky, deep pink and ready by mid-September - and has been for a few generations now. The B2 variant is newer but also looking pretty consistent. Producing seed outdoor is tricky - especially if you don't want heavily seeded bud - so we'll see come fall how we did.

MildeStoner

Veteran
Beautiful pink pistils! Probably the most that's been said in one thread in a while..
Think I followed a grow you 2 did in a swamp back in 2008-9, always great to see Pete still happily doing their thing, bless ;)

tamworthrope

wow mid-September bud and very nice pink pistils. Hows the potency?

Not familiar with Baby's Breath is it a sweet or skunky taste?

two heads

Veteran
Baby's Breath is our own strain. It started as a clone from a nice mother plant we grew out in the 90s from a Breeder Steve Blue Domino male crossed with a bright pink female from Marc Emery's Outdoor Mix (so it's lineage is anyone's guess). After deciding keeping a clone alive all year long in a grow room kind of went against most of the reasons we grew outdoors, we decided to try to create a seed strain of the clone.

There have been a couple of pollen sources over the last few years but right now we're concentrating on two variants - the bright pink Early, which is most like the original and the B2, which we're hoping stabilizes like the Early has.

The herb is more sweet than skunk. I love the high and generally choose it over whatever else I have. Good up energy weed.

Latest posts

Latest posts