What's new

Does a 6 week photoperiod strain actually exist?

t33to

If so, where do I get the seeds?

I've tried a few different ones and none of them looked even remotely close at 6 weeks to take down. I'm referring to trichome colors. I'm under the impression a strain is passed it's optimal growing phase when the trichomes are about 33% amber and 66% cloudy. Is this an accurate way to denote a strains true flowering time?

JockBudman

I guess the important thing to remember is that different people have a different version of "done." I see people pulling plants online all the time that I wouldn't touch for at least another two weeks, sometimes even three.

So if you're asking if there are plants that will produce smokeable bud by 6 weeks from 12/12 then yes, there are. Ones I've heard of being noted are green poison as someone else said, certain phenos of Ortega by Mr Nice and quick critical by dinafem. But even if you get one of those fast finishers you'd still need to veg it to sexual maturity and/or mother and use cuts. And obviously it's still a pheno hunt through a few packs to find those grail plants. Then you need to balance up other factors like yield (which may end up on the low side) and quality of high.

I find these questions interesting. To me the only reason to look for a 6 weeker is to churn out commercial harvests multiple times a year. But the market has changed even here in a country under prohibition and from what I know of commercial growers, it's easier to find an 8-10 week plant because they're more common, they'll usually yield more and you can always pull them a week or two early if need be, whereas the few 6-7 week diaries I've seen you couldn't pull those plants at 4-5 weeks. And like I said, most of them I wouldn't pull at 7-8 even either.

There's also the fact that tastes change and the 6 week pheno is hard to find in even lines that can produce it so by the time you've got it found, mothered, run it a few times, everyone has moved onto the next hype. As a percy grower I always focus on high over anything else so a 6 week plant would need to be A grade to make the cut anyway.
I guess it would be good for a breeding project if that's what you're after in which case good luck - many have been seen journeying off down this path before and I've not seen any return with a grail in hand.

:tiphat:

scrogrow

I guess the important thing to remember is that different people have a different version of "done." I see people pulling plants online all the time that I wouldn't touch for at least another two weeks, sometimes even three.

So if you're asking if there are plants that will produce smokeable bud by 6 weeks from 12/12 then yes, there are. Ones I've heard of being noted are green poison as someone else said, certain phenos of Ortega by Mr Nice and quick critical by dinafem. But even if you get one of those fast finishers you'd still need to veg it to sexual maturity and/or mother and use cuts. And obviously it's still a pheno hunt through a few packs to find those grail plants. Then you need to balance up other factors like yield (which may end up on the low side) and quality of high.

I find these questions interesting. To me the only reason to look for a 6 weeker is to churn out commercial harvests multiple times a year. But the market has changed even here in a country under prohibition and from what I know of commercial growers, it's easier to find an 8-10 week plant because they're more common, they'll usually yield more and you can always pull them a week or two early if need be, whereas the few 6-7 week diaries I've seen you couldn't pull those plants at 4-5 weeks. And like I said, most of them I wouldn't pull at 7-8 even either.

There's also the fact that tastes change and the 6 week pheno is hard to find in even lines that can produce it so by the time you've got it found, mothered, run it a few times, everyone has moved onto the next hype. As a percy grower I always focus on high over anything else so a 6 week plant would need to be A grade to make the cut anyway.
I guess it would be good for a breeding project if that's what you're after in which case good luck - many have been seen journeying off down this path before and I've not seen any return with a grail in hand.

:tiphat:

I think we should be friends

blazeoneup

The Helpful One
Chat Moderator
Veteran
I got an Old Family Purple that was very close to being finished at day 42 days 12/12! Here's some pics of it, The breeder is CSI HUMBOLDT.

Here she is at day 36 12/12!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Here is day 41 12/12!

picture.php

picture.php

blazeoneup

The Helpful One
Chat Moderator
Veteran
Here is the most recent pics from day 46 12/12. Still 3 days left on week 7 12/12!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

highsteppa

Veteran
The old pukeberry clone was supposedly a 42-45 plant. I never counted the days but she was fast for sure. I wonder if it’s even around still.

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hell yeah it is especially in coco, hydro. 46-48 is more realistic. Had many ready around that time.

weedobix

ICMag Donor
Veteran
when i do big seed phenohunts with say 30 plants or so i usually get 1 or 2 that are ready within the 6 and a half to 7 week range.

i just had a stardawg x jack herer i made (2 other plants of this cross are gonna be 8 weekers and another looks like maybe 10) and one pheno i pulled at 7weeks along with a lone critical kush.