What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Switching to LED, Advice?

Koondense

Veteran
You got me quite hyped there hahaha. Do you maybe got some pictures you can show, Bud pictures.

Thank you for the answer :)

Hey duke,
basically all the led lights we recommend are cobs or quantum boards, so their spectrum and light output varies a little, if we talk about top components in commercial lights like Migro or Timber.
Thing is all the needed components can be ordered separately and made in a custom fixture or any kind of DIY lightning setup.

I can show you a couple of buds grown under my DIY cob led setup with CXB3590 cobs driven at 25-50W each, the Migros and others now have higher power per cob(100W dimmable) so expect even higher light intensity which will probably make the plants grow even better.

Zamal Hash
picture.php

Kolossus
picture.php

Pangi #1
picture.php

Any doubt is unfunded, trust me ;) Cob leds are great and plants love them!

Cheers

THC123

Veteran
After the crappy viparspectra experience I decided to invest in a decent LED light.

At the moment there are 2 models that caught my attention:

Spydrx plus and Blackdog 600

Coverage wise the blackdog seems the best choice as it is said it easily covers 150 x 150 cm in bloom. Downside is the long distance to the plants as I only have 190-195 cm in height in the grow tent.

The Spydrx plus covers only 120 cm but I really like the design and the even light spread. It is also great for scrogging as you can hang the lamp real close.

FYI I am not planning to make my own light, I want to buy a plug and play lamp.

Who has experience with one or both of these? And what do you recommend?

Koondense

Veteran
I have no experience with these but would prefer to buy the Spydrx.
The black dog specs and claims seem a bit exaggerated and I dislike that. For example how can both lights have same watts but one covers 120x120 and the other 150x150...just one of many doubts. Also the spydrx produces white light which I prefer for many reasons.
Have you maybe considered other lights, like for example Spectrum King, Timber, Migro..?

Cheers

Greenseea

HLG 550 V2 come out 3 weeks now. It has newest and top bin Samsung led diodes LM301B 210lm/w.
Go check their website HoricoltureLightningGroup look for QB288 V2.
Think they have sales atm...
In my opinion, only Fluence, HLG and ChilLed are the way to go at the moment and for around 600W u can easily replace a HPS 1000W/SE all around 600$-1000$ depending on what option u want.
Even COBs are outdated this days...
It is time for MID pow LEDs!!!

Greenseea

Ohhh...
Forgot to mention LED strip builds... Google for F-series strip lightning build...
than go and check ledgardener DiY guide. Simple as hell...
1000W se replacement build is around 400$, but u need a bit of skills and passion :D