Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Cannabis Concentrates > Why cold butane is slow rate then room temp butane in a cls ?

Thread Title Search
Why cold butane is slow rate then room temp butane in a cls ? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-21-2017, 06:33 AM #1
dabboy

dabboy is on a distinguished road
Why cold butane is slow rate then room temp butane in a cls ?

People like to cold the butane and then extracts for a better result .
But is slow rate compared to room temp butane .
I think the cold butane should flow faster than the room temp butane since the butane is cooler and it's liquid in that form ?
Am i correct ?
dabboy is offline Quote

Click to shop for Extractors and Hardware
Old 06-21-2017, 02:37 PM #2
Gray Wolf
A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.

Gray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabboy View Post
I think the cold butane should flow faster than the room temp butane since the butane is cooler and it's liquid in that form ?
Am i correct ?
Lowering the temperature raises the viscosity, so it flows slower.

Believing is seeing and ignorance is bliss until it bites you in the ass!

Alas, my ignorance abounds; the more I've learned, the less I know that I know..........

Thou shalt seek and respect the opinions of operators, even unto the third helper, for theirs is a wisdom unknown to technicrats.

Wise men learn more from fools, than fools from wise men.

In my dotage I finally discovered that the secret to putting on pants both legs at a time is sitting down.
Gray Wolf is offline Quote

Old 06-22-2017, 07:31 AM #3
atomicponderer

atomicponderer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabboy View Post
Am i correct ?
What Graywolf said. Think cold honey vs warm honey.
atomicponderer is offline Quote

Old 06-22-2017, 08:01 AM #4
troutman

troutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud of
Butane at room temp is a gas and gases flow faster than any liquid.
troutman is offline Quote

Old 06-22-2017, 07:33 PM #5
Simplemd369
Banned

Simplemd369 is on a distinguished road
If it is under pressure, it should still be a liquid at room temperature, but get thicker as it gets colder.
Simplemd369 is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:37 PM #6
Simplemd369
Banned

Simplemd369 is on a distinguished road
Does anyone have a chart showing butane viscosity at temperature?

Does anyone know what the practical temperature limits are for extraction?
Simplemd369 is offline Quote

Old 06-22-2017, 07:47 PM #7
MrBungle

MrBungle is a glorious beacon of lightMrBungle is a glorious beacon of lightMrBungle is a glorious beacon of lightMrBungle is a glorious beacon of lightMrBungle is a glorious beacon of lightMrBungle is a glorious beacon of lightMrBungle is a glorious beacon of lightMrBungle is a glorious beacon of lightMrBungle is a glorious beacon of lightMrBungle is a glorious beacon of lightMrBungle is a glorious beacon of light
butane acts like freon.... there is a temperature pressure relationship.... the higher the temp the high the pressure... conversely the lower the temperature the lower the pressure

thats why when you take a bottle of butane and release its contents it gets real cold at the point of release cause there is an immediate drop in pressure.....

The reason you can have liquid and gas in a can of butane is cause it was filled under vacuum
MrBungle is offline Quote

Old 06-24-2017, 01:24 AM #8
pnw bb

pnw bb is on a distinguished road
i think what he is getting at is why do people use cold butane even though its slower. obviously we know that its slower because of its increased viscosity. but i think the valuable information he is looking for is that we like sub zero temps because the solvent becomes more selective at those temps not pulling as many undesirables and water content. warm solvent is much more aggressive. for those looking to make high quality and boutique level extracts the colder the better.
pnw bb is offline Quote

Old 06-24-2017, 04:29 PM #9
Gray Wolf
A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.

Gray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnw bb View Post
i think what he is getting at is why do people use cold butane even though its slower. obviously we know that its slower because of its increased viscosity. but i think the valuable information he is looking for is that we like sub zero temps because the solvent becomes more selective at those temps not pulling as many undesirables and water content. warm solvent is much more aggressive. for those looking to make high quality and boutique level extracts the colder the better.
The key is that the molecules we seek are primarily C-10 through C-22, and the molecules we avoid are C-30. Extracting at low temperatures limits extraction of the C-30 molecules more than it does the lighter ones.

Solly SM, I haven't seen any viscosity charts, but we typically add propane below about -30C and extract down to around -50C with it.

Believing is seeing and ignorance is bliss until it bites you in the ass!

Alas, my ignorance abounds; the more I've learned, the less I know that I know..........

Thou shalt seek and respect the opinions of operators, even unto the third helper, for theirs is a wisdom unknown to technicrats.

Wise men learn more from fools, than fools from wise men.

In my dotage I finally discovered that the secret to putting on pants both legs at a time is sitting down.
Gray Wolf is offline Quote

Old 06-24-2017, 05:38 PM #10
MrBungle

MrBungle is a glorious beacon of lightMrBungle is a glorious beacon of lightMrBungle is a glorious beacon of lightMrBungle is a glorious beacon of lightMrBungle is a glorious beacon of lightMrBungle is a glorious beacon of lightMrBungle is a glorious beacon of lightMrBungle is a glorious beacon of lightMrBungle is a glorious beacon of lightMrBungle is a glorious beacon of lightMrBungle is a glorious beacon of light
Can you explain how the term viscosity applies? butane is a solvent or am i missing something?
MrBungle is offline Quote