What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

the Free internet is being fitted for chains

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
everyone should read this, its a good summation of recent steps towards total censorship.

Censorship in America: The New Normal. Suppressing “Inauthentic Behavior”

https://www.globalresearch.ca/censorship-in-america-the-new-normal/5651566

By Stephen Lendman
Global Research, August 23, 2018

In America free speech, media, and academic freedoms are threatened.

Social media, Google, and other tech giants are complicit in a campaign to suppress content conflicting with the official narrative.

What’s increasingly going on is the hallmark of totalitarian rule – controlling the message, eliminating what conflicts with it, notably on major geopolitical issues including US foreign policy.

Losing the right of free expression endangers all others. When truth-telling and dissent are considered threats to national security, free and open societies no longer exist – the slippery slope where America and other Western societies are heading.

The following headlines should scare everyone:

NYT: “Facebook Says It Removed Pages Related to ‘Inauthentic Behavior’ ”

Washington Post: “Sprawling Iranian influence operation globalizes tech’s war on disinformation”

Wall Street Journal: “Facebook Pulls Accounts Peddling Misinformation From Iran, Russia”

CNN: “Facebook takes down 652 pages after finding disinformation campaigns run from Iran and Russia”

The UK owned and controlled BBC: “Facebook and Twitter remove accounts linked to Russia and Iran campaigns”

Other Western major media had similar headlined reports. Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg said hundreds of pages on its platform were removed for exhibiting signs of “ties to state-owned media” – including “activities the US government (said are) linked to Russian military intelligence” and Iran. (August 21, 2018)

Social Media Giants Choking Independent News Site Traffic to a Trickle
Facebook deleted accounts based on information supplied by the CIA, US State and Treasury Departments, acting as an agent for the imperial state.

The same goes for Twitter, Google, YouTube, Microsoft, and other tech giants – in cahoots with Washington against the most fundamental of fundamental freedoms.

Facebook removed 652 pages. Twitter suspended 284 accounts for engaging in what it called “coordinated manipulation” – code language for truth-telling Washington wants suppressed.

Google removed Google Plus and YouTube content – based on information supplied by the CIA-funded FireEye cybersecurity firm, Langley calling the company a “critical addition to our strategic investment portfolio for security technologies.”

According to Facebook, pages allegedly connected to Russia, Iran, and other US sanctioned countries are targeted for removal, claiming some seek to influence US midterm elections – providing no evidence proving any of the targeted pages were involved in illegal or improper activities.

FB allied with the Atlantic Council (AC) – a neocon think tank promoting NATO’s killing machine, America’s military, industrial, security, major media complex, not to mention Israel.

FB partnered with AC’s imperial geopolitical agenda to censor material labelled “foreign interference” – AC’s Digital Forensic Research Lab involved in so-called “fact-checking,” code language for flagrant censorship.

The CIA-linked FireEye said so-called “inauthentic behavior” targeted for removal includes “anti-Saudi, anti-Israeli, and pro-Palestinian themes, as well as support for specific US policies favorable to Iran, such as the US-Iran nuclear deal (JCPOA).”

In cahoots with forces in Washington, Microsoft’s so-called Digital Crimes Unit shut down 84 websites it claimed were associated with Russian hackers – no evidence cited proving it.

Its Microsoft AccountGuard initiative offers free cybersecurity protection to US political candidates and campaign offices at the federal, state and local levels.

No evidence suggests any threats to America’s political process exists – just invented ones to bash Russia.

The new normal in America and other Western societies considers anything conflicting with the official narrative on vital issues “inauthentic behavior.”

Are these nations heading toward eliminating the right of free expression altogether- falsely claiming it’s to protect national security?

It appears to be what’s going on in the West – the possible elimination of free and open societies already gravely threatened.

Stephen Lendman lives in Chicago. He can be reached at lendmanstephen@sbcglobal.net.

His new book as editor and contributor is titled “Flashpoint in Ukraine: US Drive for Hegemony Risks WW III.”

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
When any information vehicle is shut down, others open up.

Yep, things are heating up in the world and definitely not due to global warming. Watch yourselves out there folks.

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thank heavens freedom of the press protected Alex Jones. Mustn't have any of "those" opinions after all

Gry

Veteran
alex was the trojan horse justification they needed to do it to any one else.

Classic nose under the tent. Going to come back and bite us where it hurts.

Anyone who has been paying attention knows damn good and well that our various systems have a history of being tampered with.

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
We always knew this was coming and because the internet is multinational it's the perfect excuse for infringement and changes to US freedoms of speech..

Nationalism and Isolationism always come with totalitarianism..

Heading towards another dark ages and fast..

They'll probably just turn the internet off at some point and blame it on the sun..

St. Phatty

Yes, the censorship of 2017 & 2018 has been very impressive, but not in a good way.

That's why I posted about websites like ICMag growing to compete with Google.

Of course, if ICMag was 1/10 the size of Google, it would have 300 million members. Instead of maybe 100 forum categories, there would be tens of thousands of forum categories.

I think the way that would work is, you would have more than one sitemap. There would be the phpBB Admin sitemap - if you used phpBB. Imagine 1 page with a listing of 100,000 forum categories and forums. That's what the phpBB admin interface looks like.

Personally, I would use a 3D earth interface to content that was organized using database programs like phpBB or vBulletin.

Of course, with Google, this near infinite amount of content is 'right there'. Your access to it is organized when you do the web search.

Most of the post Y2K websites - Google, Facebook - are designed to apply Economies of Scale to social control.

As for Alex Jones, he is very much 'controlled opposition', limited hang-out, etc. Not a real freedom fighter, just part of the Ziomedia show.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
if you ask me these giant tech monopolies need to be broken up, where's out modern day trust buster? how can one ceo in Cali make rules and regulations for 2 billion people on the whole world? it's nutz to allow them so much power. every country needs their own face book, which can connect to any other countries face book for connectivity, but each nation has it's own countries citizens data locally stored. same with google, they have shown they can't be trusted with the power they have accumulated either. again bust the corp into 10 smaller corps, we need competition and allowing monopolies makes said competition impossible. if facebook switzerland isnt treating it's users well they can join any other nations face book, this will force them to be run on a community oriented basis rather then on a monopolisticall corporate basis. same with youtube, you should be able to vote with your feet, just like with the phone co, they reat you bad you should have options. as soon as these tech giants started using algorithms to influence whats seen and whats relegated to the shadows, they betrayed the principle of the free and open internet. when they started deciding selectively on the content to be allowed at all, the content allowed to be profited from, the betrayal was complete. lets not even mention how google is working on helping the government target people with drone strikes, don't be evil my cohones!

St. Phatty

if you ask me these giant tech monopolies need to be broken up, where's out modern day trust buster? how can one ceo in Cali make rules and regulations for 2 billion people on the whole world?

The way it is now, America has some control.

And control is the objective.

I would like nothing more than to see the unwieldy edifice collapse into a funeral pyre.

This is not your Father's Oldsmobile or your Father's America.

It's now the United States of Israel.

Google showed their hand many many times, including when they wiped Palestine off their maps of the MidEast.

T

Teddybrae

Poll: Nearly half of Republicans think Trump should have authority to shutter media outlets

Nearly half of Republicans DON'T think! (To be fair this problem is across the political spectrum. It's follow me/follow you out there ...)

St. Phatty

What would you do then? What COULD you do then?

Depends on the meaning of the words, "unwieldy edifice collapse into a funeral pyre".

Obviously I depend on many systems, and many people.

All Americans benefit from the same system, that has the US as world reserve currency.

A partial abandonment of the US $ would cause a devaluation that would depend on competing currencies, e.g. a Gold-backed Yuan.

Though it appears that much of the value of the US $ comes from the perception of American military superiority. If there was a confrontation where the US tried to bully Russia or China, and the US got its nose bloodied ... I'm not sure what the circumstance would be that would return us to a multi-polar world, as it was before WW2.

But, to answer your question, if I saw more signs of an imminent "unwieldy edifice collapse", I would worry about on the ground stuff -
* having the gas tanks filled.
* shooting a deer or 2.
* planting a bunch of Cannabis seeds, for cheap fun. :woohoo:

Does this mean Trump won't get to visit his buddy Putin anymore? :biggrin:

I wonder if he did shots with Putin.

I wonder if, when Trump gets drunk, since he likes making up his own names for people, what's his pet name for Putin ?

What if Trump called Vladimir "Putie-Baby" ?!

Christ almighty, that alone could start World War 3 - or 4, depending how one counts.

Gry

Veteran
Bush claimed he was able to see inside his soul, I don't recall anyone referring to him as a man of vision.

Cannavore

Veteran
where's out modern day trust buster? !

giphy.webp

His name is bernie sanders

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
This is a terrible, terrible new trend, all bots should have the right to free speech, even the Russian ones.:tiphat:

St. Phatty

If anybody here is actually interested in pursuing it - which means you may be perceived as a genius and receive a Nobel prize for fixing X Y & Z including American health care - Karl Denninger has already done the work.

His website is
https://market-ticker.org/

In his health care section, he cites all the antitrust laws by code # etc.

If you were hired to prosecute American health care, all you would have to do is print out his long lists of the exact laws being violated.

Then hand that to your lawyer assistant and task him with working on it.

As long as there were no brick walls put in your way, e.g. what happened to Brookes Bournseley - Commodities Futures Trading Commission CEO during the Clinton Administration. She was FREAKED OUT about credit derivatives. Saw the tidal wave coming from 10 years away.

3 bankers, who happened to be Jewish, shut her down - Summers, Greenspan, Reich. They obviously wanted 10 more years of Mortgage Backed Security gravy train.

That's related to why I refuse to refer to the events of 2007-2009 as a crisis. Generally, crises aren't supposed to be planned from 20 years ahead of time.

There was a fantastic interview about it at Financial Sense.com
They seem to have deep sixed the best part of their archives. I have a copy, I would just have to search through 15,000 *.mp3's & *.mp4's on my website.

https://www.google.com/search?q=brooksley+born+mp3
Admittedly, that's switching from the health care industry to the financial industry.

Very similar dynamics though.

The laws are primarily to control the Gentiles.