What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Info on The Real Seed Company?

marmarb

About to place my first order have a few questions is the friesland and crosses the only ones that will finish mid September I'm a 40° n east coast. Also with the auto flowering tendencies will they stay in veg long enough to be able to take clones from. Thanks

troutman

Seed Whore
About to place my first order have a few questions is the friesland and crosses the only ones that will finish mid September I'm a 40° n east coast. Also with the auto flowering tendencies will they stay in veg long enough to be able to take clones from. Thanks

The Friesland should finish mid-September. I don't think it's an autoflowering strain to be honest.

ngakpa

Veteran
hi - yes, as said - it's not an auto

I list it in with autos because it's very early

Can't say exactly when it will go into a flower at 40 N, but early

Lebanese, Sinai, Syrian etc. are also listed in the Autoflowering category - in their case because they exhibit variants within their populations that will go into flower even in long days

People are calling this trait "semi-auto" - e.g. going into flower even on 20/4

romanoweed

Is there a semi-Auto from SE Asia and Middleamerica too? Is this Trait appering cause of extreme Dryness ( just a Specualtion)?

troutman

Seed Whore
hi - yes, as said - it's not a true Auto

I list it in with autos because it's very early

Can't say exactly when it will go into a flower at 40 N, but early

Lebanese, Sinai, Syrian etc. are also listed in the Autoflowering category - in their case because they exhibit variants within their populations that will go into flower even in long days

People are calling this trait "semi-auto" - e.g. going into flower at less than 20/4

Mine started flowering flowered in the 3rd week of July at 46N and there was only about 15+ hours of sunlight then according to a website I just checked. :tiphat:

ngakpa

Veteran
Mine started flowering flowered in the 3rd week of July at 46N and there was only about 15+ hours of sunlight then according to a website I just checked. :tiphat:

I've updated the description to state explicitly that it's not autoflowering, just very early

ngakpa

Veteran
do we have a discount code for icmaggers

hi, everything's essentially already at a discount

most of our landraces are already about half to a third of the price that other outfits sell them for... plus 2 for 1 offers on several strains now, plus freebies

some of the heirlooms like Friesland, X18, and Cindy 99 are an absolute bargain too

marmarb

I was just on the site the cindy is showing out of stock. Your right prices are great but I'm a bean hoarder so every little be goes a long way lol.

ngakpa

Veteran
Is this the variety known as Idukki Gold?

it's the Idukki landrace, direct from an old-timer in Idukki district

he's been organizing commercial grows there for decades - in recent years collaborating with tribal minorites

in Kerala, tribal minorities are legally allowed to keep a plant (or two) for use in ritual worship of a form of Munishveran
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muneeswarar

"Gold" can get slapped on any strain as a name - I don't think people should be putting so much weight on this.... a lot of nonsense gets talked about Indian cannabis

in fact, the most common colour term I heard from people who were in Kerala long before the days of the Internet, back in the early 80s and 90s, was "blue"

what a lot of people use to talk about was Neelachadayan (Neela - blue; chada or jata = dreadlocks)

hellfire

Cool! Great info there. Can this Idukki be traced back to a certain date or just known its been there a long time?

Interesting about the blue, seems that is not a very common color in cannabis. Understandable, I have some Arraku seeds and one is Arraku Valley the other Arraku Gold. I'm guessing the 'gold' addition is a label for marketing?

ngakpa

Veteran
There's been cultivation of ganja in India since at least the 1600s

By ganja I mean specifically the types of plants used for smoking like tobacco or with tobacco - what Lamarck called Cannabis indica (NOT what modern jargon calls an Indica)

Lamarck applied the name to a plant collected in what's now Tamil Nadu, probably Pondicherry... east from Kerala on the other coast

There was likely bhang cultivation in these regions long before ganja cultivation --- ganja is a result of more intensive selection for potency... in my view it likely developed from bhang plants....

I'd really caution people to be extremely skeptical about all these strain names, especially in India - as skeptical or more so as you would be about flavour-of-the-month strain names in North America

Terroir and phenotypic plasticity are major factors in determining the end product in ganja... the same strain planted in a different place (soil, sun, climate) can result in a markedly different end product

I know from talking directly to some of the IG collectors that they will readily treat different batches of ganja, e.g. from within Kerala, as different strains, when as likely as not it's merely the same landrace grown by a different farmer in a different place

Phenotypic plasticity is a key trait of Cannabis - same genes + different environments can mean lots of variation, same as with other aromatic crops like tea, hops, and grapes (wine)

ngakpa

Veteran
Any info/pic about johaar?

there are photos with the strain description at the site

morphologically it's like the strain sold as Kumaoni

it's a variation on that theme, but found to the east in a region called Munsiyari
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munsiari

this relates to the previous post, in that, in this case I took the view that the plants and charas in Munsiyari are sufficiently distinct from those in the Bageshwar region to justify treating them as a distinct landrace (as with Nanda Devi too)

part of that is to do with the geography of the area - large distances and huge mountains effectively isolate the populations, and unlike with ganja cultivation in prohibition-era southern India, there's no need for people to move seed around