What's new

Grafting Development

Yarkand

Really great test dude !!!

Very nice to see all different strains growing on one rootball !

Nice :)

Greenheart

Veteran
@all
Creating a multiple mother will take real long time.
I think connecting and healing takes about 3-4 weeks.
After healing the plant must rest for a while,
about another 2 weeks for increasing the osmotic compression.
After this process you might connect again.
And more than 2 grafts on same time might be a also problem.

Spot on. After 6 months of practice I was up to 4 grafts per round with about 4-5 weeks in between sets. I found superglue, ziplock bags, and a fine mist sprayer were my best tools. That and alot of love taking the bags off twice per day to air and remist before resealing in a ziplock dome. I achieved the best result with mirrored, long, and slightly angled cuts thru node sites on both the scion and mum. I used much smaller pieces they were around 1/4 inch diameter stalks with 1-3 fans and a newforming tip.

Anyone have any good suggestions on how to label them?
One of my biggest problems grafting was the labels becoming unreadable. Permanent marker tended to go all blotchy and ballpoints faded after a few neem sessions leaving you staring at a dozen plus strains going wtf??? :watchplant::dunno:

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
I used a loose zip tie with a tape tab labeling the strain at the first node of the graft.

Duck tape holds up better than painters tape,... and the little key chain label things would work better than that, but you get the idea.

This girl is Blueberry rootmass and center section, trained to the right Durban poision, Trained to the left AK-47
picture.php

This was nearly 2 years ago,... illness cost me the both of those grafted nodes,... but she's still alive with Vanniluna still grafted to her, and I managed to save both strains that were lost off of this mum.

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
Yep that vid was my inspiration for my experiments with this! :pimp3:

My grafto mum as she stands today. Down to just 2 strains from 5.
picture.php

I did this cleft joint well over a year ago!!! :tiphat:
picture.php

high life 45

Seen your Member?
Veteran
Great info! would be great for a med state with low plant counts like mine. Keeping a few strains on one mom, I may have to play around with this.

Hazeo

Veteran
Hey Apfel,

realy nice work u are doin here!
your thread some kind of inspired me, perhaps i will try it outdoor as well this season.
will be more hard, concerning the hygienic aspect...but outdoor even a fail wouldnt be noticed at all, the plants are big...

keep on doin good work!

gruß
Hazeo

mr cheese

Hi mate, have only read a small bit of your thread but i just had to say a BIG THANK YOU! One off THE best threads iv seen in many a year! Thsnks for taking the time to take such great pics ad detailed write ups! Keep up the exellent work my friend! Stay safe...c

Hoots

Fantastic!!!!!!!

Just introduced to the concept of grafting to cannabis and this was my first search result.

Really inspiring stuff:)

Looking forward to following along.

:thank you:

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Still a worhty interesting project Canni when down to two strains..the Doobster's still lurking..good job..DD

stellblue

fascinating conversation everyone, so sorry I only just came across this topic now.

It is possible to graft on an entirely different plant, for example, I've been wondering if you grafted on a branch of any herb, rosemary, let's say (a) would it work? and (b) would the rosemary flavor the cannabis? Imagine grafting on a lemon or peach branch...

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
No.

In order for a graft to take it really has to be a close genotype. Otherwise the plants immune system (basic as it is) will reject the invader. (graft scion)

It is possible to graft cannabis to Hops,... or the other way around ( I forget ATM :eek:: ) Citrus to citrus, ie; Orange to lemon. Apple to Apple..... Red rose to white rose,... and so on,... (tho I've heard that crossing colors in roses results in hybrid colored flowers?,.. not sure never checked)

I've had issues trying to graft an Indica scion to a Sativa host,... but not the other way around? Theres a LOT at play in grafting.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I have done grafting for years and years, just for the fun.
If you plan to flower the graft, I suggest that you graft all the earlier flowering branches to the main plant which should be the variety that is last to flower. This way you get several harvests. If you do the opposite then the main plant and roots will die when flowered and the later maturing branches will not get to flower.
You can also have grafts as a way to maintain many different clones on just a few veg mothers.
So 10 plants can have 100 varieties, 10 on each. Good to help keep plant numbers lower.
As police consider a plant that has 10 different grafts as one plant, not 10.
Also I have not seen any changes in the grafted flowered clones, I mean they smell, taste, and the Cannabinoid and terpene profile as well as the % of THC was the same as the non-grafted clones of the same variety.
Have fun,
-SamS

Apfel

hey sam,

I dont feel certain about that.
If you graft a sativa or many on an indica or otherwise, you can feed the plant just as long as you feed an usual sativa.
Both strains with different harvesttime on one plant, so there will be a problem with flushing and so on.
imho

As police consider a plant that has 10 different grafts as one plant, not 10.
That is one reason i startet with this grafting :biggrin:

I mean they smell, taste, and the Cannabinoid and terpene profile as well as the % of THC was the same as the non-grafted clones of the same variety.
Canniwhatthis told same. Not good for me.

I saw peargrafts on appletrees.
The fruits have different features than usual pears from peartrees, size, taste...
I hope to find irregularities with these 10 strains/90 grafting possibilities.
One is enough.

What i already know, the growth from grafts is not even to the original plant. whitewiddow graftet on agentoranje grows much faster than original whitewiddow.

we will see :)

small update:
Today was ganjaspa .-) flushed my ladies and and cutted them back. In 2 weeks i connect again. So this is my last update for the next 4-5 weeks. only a smal one.
grafts are healthy. same nutrienets for all. Canna Coco EC 1,4, Ph 6,0.

attachment.php

Thxs @ all for contributing :wave:

Attachments

• fg2.jpg
    fg2.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 22