What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Grafting Development

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Usefull little trick i discovered that greatly improves the strike rate , on thicker and hollow cored stems use a short section of plastic straw as an internal splint , if accurately cut and taped around , over 50% will take.

The last three i did made it into mid flower , tops were a local WW and the rootstock was C99 males that had been deleafed by catterpillers , they only failed after six weeks when the tissue broke alongside the graft as the weight piled on.

The leaf nodes on the male rootstock below the graft produced male structures that looked functional till cut off , sure they would have seeded if left.

TheDillest

I think the question of whether the host will influence the grafts traits depends on whether you are flowering with the graft on the host or not

If you graft onto a mother plant and take cutting from the doner they will lose any influence they had from the host after developing their own rootball

But if you were to leave the doner grafts on the host and put that plant into flower, the rootball of the host would influence the doner in some way(maybe only slightly
The reason I say that is the host may favour the uptake of certain nutrients over others and pass that on to the doner, possibly causing deficiencies or toxicities in the doner. Also the rootball may have more vigorous root performance, or be capable of supporting a much larger plant. So if you put a small indica plant onto a sativa(one that would normally grow 15 feet tall), the rootball will be able to support more upper plant and possibly allow the indica to grow much larger.
Just possibilities really but I think it cannot be denied that there would be some influence on the growth of the doner cutting

I don't think you'll get a sativa high from an indica cutting placed on a sativa rootball, but you may see slightly different patterns in the speed it can grow/nutrients it can recieve

I don't think the differences will be very large however

I definately think the real value in this is being able to graft a small cutting to a massive rootball, which in theory could promote extreme growth in the cutting. Perhaps the grafting could be initiated during the last week of flower before harvest. and before the cutting can respond to the photoperiod the main plant will be harvested. In that time the cutting will have been recieving alot of good nutrient and sugars from the larger plant, and when the rest is harvested the cutting will be ready to begin growing very fast.

Apfel

hey guys,

at first some bad news,

without WW and CH on AO all experiments died.
There were many reasons, drying out, not airtight fixing, maybe working not accurate enogh...stuff like that.
But i suceed also.

WW- is a weak plant, bad nodules, slow growing
AO - the opposite
WW on AO - Great :jump:

She grows much faster than the original motherplant und has a thick stem. I trimmed her already few times, because she steals all the power from my other graft -> the Chronic.
Also one of the 3 stem (AO next to this graftings) breaked cause im a fool.

No matter, all my plants are healthy now an i bought some special graftingwax to close the wounds fast and airtight. I use also second - glue to fix the stems, 2 hands not enough ^^
take a look:

Overview

attachment.php

WW(C1)CH(C)AO
attachment.php

...after the accident

attachment.php

one of my new approach grafts
attachment.php

i made about 8 of these new graftings

the last thing i show you is my heartplant:
attachment.php

i startet to braid all my plants to get more stem, i need much of it for grafting and for me its a kind of art collection :laughing:

this is the most difficult project i did ever, but i will work further hard on it. now i make some vacations, everything works fully automatic and in 2-3 week i report more.

best regards
:tiphat:

Attachments

• Bild0373.jpg
    Bild0373.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Ultimate%20ChemDawg%2008%20S1%20Harvest 03
    Ultimate%20ChemDawg%2008%20S1%20Harvest 03
    91.2 KB · Views: 86
  • Bild0366.jpg
    Bild0366.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Bild0368.jpg
    Bild0368.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 31
  • Bild0362.jpg
    Bild0362.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 33
A

ariston

thank you for sharing this Apfel, if it werent for this thread I wouldnt even known this was possible. I might try this in a couple of years :)

Apfel

update:

im proudly presenting my new grafts.

at first my heartplant
attachment.php

AmnesiaHaze(cc)(c1)AmnesiaHaze(soma)(C1)Chronic
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

as you can see, i connected one huge graft with 3 stems and it worked pretty well.

there are more grafts i made, but im not shure if they will survive.
maybe next week i update more.

Anyway this experiment is still in the beginning and in a few days i nna make more gratfs.

Attachments

• Bild0402.jpg
    Bild0402.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Bild0413.jpg
    Bild0413.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 31
  • Bild0401.jpg
    Bild0401.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 29
  • Bild0400.jpg
    Bild0400.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 34
  • SaDan_2001_12_60_1.jpg
    SaDan_2001_12_60_1.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 34

budelight

Discovery Requires Experimentation
Veteran
This is AWESOME!!!!

What seems to be working well for you now? Did you get the grafting wax?(or was it tape)

Cheers, Looks great,
Budelight

RidgeRebel

very inspiring to see this. altho i've never tried it, i've always thought it'd be such a nice gift to give someone, one plant of all their favorite strains for them to have for a mother, or even to flower out. I'm happy for your success. maybe now i WILL try to graft also!

Dr.Dank

Cannabis 101
Veteran
Best Thread all year! :) good job! Im very intriguer to do this myself and be able to keep multiple strains in one mother plant.. I have some wax ready maybe today is the day :) thank you for sharing sir! all the best.

magiccannabus

Next Stop: Outer Space!
Veteran
I just had a wild thought.... Do you know how on mom plants they progressively lose their lower leaves and the growth nodes move up and outward? Well why not bend one of the upper branches down, and graft it to it's own main stem? That would restart the foliage growth lower down. It might be good practice for grafting too, especially considering they are genetically identical parts.

Anyway, amazing pictures. Multi-strain mother plants have been a dream of mine for years now, glad to see progress!

Apfel

Hey guys,

:thank you: all.

Did you get the grafting wax?(or was it tape)
i used a second glue to fix the stem - only a drop.
Also a kind of graftingwax - lets say cream and wire.
I think tape is not the best for grafting, cause you must close the wound airtight.

@all
Creating a multiple mother will take real long time.
I think connecting and healing takes about 3-4 weeks.
After healing the plant must rest for a while,
about another 2 weeks for increasing the osmotic compression.
After this process you might connect again.
And more than 2 grafts on same time might be a also problem.
But would be glad to see more grafts here in icmag !

This is just an assumption :Bolt:

EarthElf

too cool

too cool

This so cool I was always told it couldn't be done cheerzzzzzzzzzz to you Im going to try it one day

Apfel

Update:

Another Graft survived.
Its a Chronic(c1)Jack Herer

attachment.php

Same plant
attachment.php

Overview
attachment.php

my first graft
attachment.php

i hope the thaitanic will survive, i broked her littlebit.

attachment.php

thats it ;-)

Attachments

• Bild0417.jpg
    Bild0417.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 36
  • Bild0435.jpg
    Bild0435.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Bild0430.jpg
    Bild0430.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 32
  • Bild0436.jpg
    Bild0436.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 30
  • Bild0437.jpg
    Bild0437.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 29

sso

Veteran
i wonder how multiple strains like that will do in the long run, whether one strain will simply dominate or whether they will do equally well.