What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Resurrecting DJs blueberry

OZZ_

Veteran
Two groups: one that got legit BB and one that got knockoffs. Simple as. It’s a real problem. Legit BB is gourmet cannabis. Re: original cuts, I hear Oregon is nice this time of year.

I grew it not too long ago and the results were fabulous. True connoisseur quality. But then again I got my seeds directly from DJ, who is quick to warn you about knockoffs.

He’s all about the hash. Not much of a flower guy.

M.

This is good info.... what do you mean by knockoffs... you mean vendors selling other seeds that are not sourced from DJ??

This is something that concerns me, although I bought from a vendor that is listed on DJs site.... so I should be good, wouldn’t you say?

OZZ_

Veteran
Hey ozz, I haven't popped what I got from Matt riot yet, but he's got a blue bonnet line out that people are finding blueberry terps with.
He looked thru some of the Bluebonnet seeds from Lonestar. Which I believe were an f4 of DJ's original blueberry release. After talking to riot about them I hit up Texas kid for his experience with Lonestar's gear(quite extensive), and he spoke very highly of his work and knowledge.

Subrob- thanks for the tip, I’ll do some research along that pathway as well.

OZZ_

Veteran
I recently grew velvet krush, it was great. very anti anxiety and euphoric. not heavy. very easy to grow, no mutants. View Image

Gorgeous looking plant Maha, nicely done! I’m after the blueberry in pure form though, now that I know it’s available and still out there in a form that is still high quality and worthy of its namesake.

OZZ_

Veteran
Ozz, if you want that Blueberry effect, dont need to go through 5 packs, not at all. The euphoric effect is locked down in Djs Blueberries! Many people have opinions it seems, but very few actually have the experience. And even less managed to grow those sensitive plants properly. Its just like with Sour Diesel, that plant will not shine if you wont give her what she needs, its that easy. In 5 Blueberry females, I bet you find the high you are looking for.
Here is a Blueberry Indica phenotype that was to this day some of the most euphoric strain I tried. You should see people high on this, it was crazy in a good way :)
The best part is, even the indica phenotypes were not actually couch lock type weed.
View Image
View Image View Image

Elainus - looks like my BB and Flo are already in route from one of the vendors listed on DJs website (seeds here now), talk about service!

Cultivation question: how sensitive are we talking here? I’m an organic soil grower so are we talking home made worm castings mixed w/ promix and call it good? Or maybe added nutes are needed but just in much lighter amounts?

I’ve went with worm castings and promix only am some 100% Sativas and had good luck doing that... but not sure if the BB requires that low of nutrients.

weedobix

ICMag Donor
Veteran
moscas otm was the real deal, can be tricky to grow right though & mutants, hsc blueberry muffin was a very sweet flavoured blueberry .

Gorgeous looking plant Maha, nicely done! I’m after the blueberry in pure form though, now that I know it’s available and still out there in a form that is still high quality and worthy of its namesake.

I tried a few different batches of blueberry over the years as the end user on the supply chain. Maybe 15 times of 'blueberry' and another 10 to 15 of hybrids make it 25 to 30 if I consider all the batches of blue dream.

The first few years 90's into the 2000's when I got blueberry it smelled like light colored hard woods, flowers and fresh blueberries, the buds were mottled with the color blue and the taste was just as equally as heavenly. I tried 5-10 batches of buds just like this and each time from different people. The high was like a spiritual cleansing. THAT'S THE KEEPER PHENO OF THE 90'S BLUEBERRY.

Then I only saw it in hybrids like bubble berry and sweet tooth #3. Sweet tooth sucked imo and Bubbleberry was great but not blueberry.

Then I only saw it in blue dream, while potent and gorgous and wonderfull smelling, had a garbage high that I hated worst than sweet tooth #3.

I'd randomly see it in other hybrids like blue wowie, blue crack, blue bubba, and blue cookies. Where only the blue bubba and blue cookies actually even carried the smell but it was different, it was candied and the smell was louder than the 90's stuff and the high was different and a lot stronger.

Once blue dream came around I started seeing "blueberry" again but it was never even close to blueberry from the 90's at all. Always the same situation too the person was super super proud to have the famous blueberry and they would tell me all the lore of DJ short or whatever and talk about sweet tooth #3 and blue dream being their favorite strains. They would talk about the nuances of the high and all that then I tried it and it was straight garbage and on one occasion the person claimed to have been handed the package of seeds by Dj short himself. The handed the package from dj short themselves nugs were pretty much the same as all the others.

If the person never tried the keepers from the 90's that were as I described then take their words with a grain of salt.

Morphote

Veteran
This is good info.... what do you mean by knockoffs... you mean vendors selling other seeds that are not sourced from DJ??

This is something that concerns me, although I bought from a vendor that is listed on DJs site.... so I should be good, wouldn’t you say?

BB is one of the most copied/sold cultivars ever made. It’s popular for a reason. Lots of seeds labeled BB but they don’t have original parents. DP stole/copied DJs work and sold it as their own. Many others have done that or outcrossed it to “improve” it. Facts.

You should be good with that vendor. Just be aware that it’s the vendors that mark up the price. DJ does not believe his seeds should be sold for that much but it’s not really up to him. Regardless, I consider his Blueberry some of the best seed I’ve ever planted, grown, and smoked. He selects for effect, and his plants deliver. Straight Wonka bud. Smelled like tootsie rolls.

M.

OZZ_

Veteran
BB is one of the most copied/sold cultivars ever made. It’s popular for a reason. Lots of seeds labeled BB but they don’t have original parents. DP stole/copied DJs work and sold it as their own. Many others have done that or outcrossed it to “improve” it. Facts.

You should be good with that vendor. Just be aware that it’s the vendors that mark up the price. DJ does not believe his seeds should be sold for that much but it’s not really up to him. Regardless, I consider his Blueberry some of the best seed I’ve ever planted, grown, and smoked. He selects for effect, and his plants deliver. Straight Wonka bud. Smelled like tootsie rolls.

M.

M .... thanks again for the great info. Matter of fact thanks to you all!

As mentioned I have a pack each of his BB F5 and Flo F5 on the way. 13 seeds each. Would you recommend open pollination to F6’s amd then start working through those or do you think a single pack of 13 is enough to find good keepers? I’d like a second opinion on that.

OZZ_

Veteran
I tried a few different batches of blueberry over the years as the end user on the supply chain. Maybe 15 times of 'blueberry' and another 10 to 15 of hybrids make it 25 to 30 if I consider all the batches of blue dream.

The first few years 90's into the 2000's when I got blueberry it smelled like light colored hard woods, flowers and fresh blueberries, the buds were mottled with the color blue and the taste was just as equally as heavenly. I tried 5-10 batches of buds just like this and each time from different people. The high was like a spiritual cleansing. THAT'S THE KEEPER PHENO OF THE 90'S BLUEBERRY.

Then I only saw it in hybrids like bubble berry and sweet tooth #3. Sweet tooth sucked imo and Bubbleberry was great but not blueberry.

Then I only saw it in blue dream, while potent and gorgous and wonderfull smelling, had a garbage high that I hated worst than sweet tooth #3.

I'd randomly see it in other hybrids like blue wowie, blue crack, blue bubba, and blue cookies. Where only the blue bubba and blue cookies actually even carried the smell but it was different, it was candied and the smell was louder than the 90's stuff and the high was different and a lot stronger.

Once blue dream came around I started seeing "blueberry" again but it was never even close to blueberry from the 90's at all. Always the same situation too the person was super super proud to have the famous blueberry and they would tell me all the lore of DJ short or whatever and talk about sweet tooth #3 and blue dream being their favorite strains. They would talk about the nuances of the high and all that then I tried it and it was straight garbage and on one occasion the person claimed to have been handed the package of seeds by Dj short himself. The handed the package from dj short themselves nugs were pretty much the same as all the others.

If the person never tried the keepers from the 90's that were as I described then take their words with a grain of salt.

Schwinn.... this somewhat parallels my experiences too, I guess we will see as I bit the bullet and went agead and ordered a few packs. We will see how it all goes! If I can score an actual clone of the good cut I can compare the seed offerings directly to it. Will be a great experiment

Happy Times

I recently grew velvet krush, it was great. very anti anxiety and euphoric. not heavy. very easy to grow, no mutants. View Image

A friend recently kicked me down some Velvet Krush from his indoor organic setup, I thought it was awesome bud. Structure looked really beefy compared to other DJ stuff I’ve seen and I really loved the high from it- stoney, balanced and and satisfying but not too knockout. Tasted so nice I sucked down a whole doob in one night which I normally don’t do, it was such pleasurable smoke I just kept going back for more! The nose didn’t stand out at first but I thought she really shined on the smoke test. Bud looked super similar to the pic you posted.

Happy Times

Thanks everyone, I’m listening and considering everyone’s suggestions. I just bit the bullet and bought a pack of the BB F5s and the flo F5s as well. Additionally I may (or may not) have a line on a clone of a proven cut but will have to see how that plays out.

Elainus- do you think I’ll find what I need in a single pack, or maybe I should do an open pollination on the whole pack to make F6s.... then wade through those? There’s 13 in each pack which is nice but damn they are pricey!

I’m no blueberry expert like Elainus but I vote open pollination!!

Flo F5? I’m curious

How about BlueberryFlo pollen chuck?

So open pollination to make F6’s it is! Lol

Honestly I feel that $160 a pack is ridiculous too, but I’ll pay it grudgingly lol. Buying two is out of the question so ya... think I’ll do an open pollination on them, then sort through those F6’s

Yeah, you're probably going to need to inbreed dj's lines to get what you're looking for.

Also Elanius is kind of contradicting himself. He says he found his amazing blueberry sativa out of 20 something females which means that came from at least 5 packs.

Either that or he's withholding information on how he went about it and releasing it in tidbits.

C

Capra ibex

I think you CAN find blueberry smelling/ tasting plants in DJ's offerings but it's not the main trait they have been bred for, or a particularly common trait.

Whereas there are other strains that have been bred specifically FOR the blueberry smell/ taste, and you'll find the trait much more prominent.

That's my general experience combined with what i have seen of other people's experience....

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran

thanks, I just wanted to say that I grew only 3 plants and all have that great antianxiety and legendary euphoria.. otherwise my all time favorite is old time moonshine, local cut. one guy told me he put it out of his garden and replaced it with og kush, as this special otm cut is too strong for him LOL it has that blueberry effervescence, just its more earthy hashy than classic BB. from what I smoked Mosca´s otm, it is too indica and is not up to this cut. I have only high standards..
picture.php

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
A friend recently kicked me down some Velvet Krush from his indoor organic setup, I thought it was awesome bud. Structure looked really beefy compared to other DJ stuff I’ve seen and I really loved the high from it- stoney, balanced and and satisfying but not too knockout. Tasted so nice I sucked down a whole doob in one night which I normally don’t do, it was such pleasurable smoke I just kept going back for more! The nose didn’t stand out at first but I thought she really shined on the smoke test. Bud looked super similar to the pic you posted.

it is like you said.. I recommend to get these and then make some cross with it(like take bluediggi and cross it with velvet krush and voila), and one can find true blue smells there easily. I made otm x sourDbx(not karma´s bx), its my blue diesel. I love it.
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

elanius

Veteran
Yeah, you're probably going to need to inbreed dj's lines to get what you're looking for.

Also Elanius is kind of contradicting himself. He says he found his amazing blueberry sativa out of 20 something females which means that came from at least 5 packs.

Either that or he's withholding information on how he went about it and releasing it in tidbits.

SS, I have no agenda, you can be sure of that. There is just an experience that I am trying to share. I clearly said how many seeds I bought
I bought 40 seeds of Blueberry when I was determined to find a good one and I did...not just one.

The reason I say, that you dont need 5 packs is, that almost all the Blueberries that I tried carried great euphoric effect, that is what I am saying from the start. But if you buy more packs, you have simply better chance to find something really special. I found one green totally sativa blueberry, with no color at all, that was extremely strong and lasting about 4 hours. She was unique phenotype, but the high missed that blissful element for me so didnt keepr her. Believe it or not, it was not easy to select a keeper as there were many great plants, I eventually kept 4 phenotypes for almost 2 years and made some crosses with them.

Morphote

Veteran
You only need one pack. Open pollinate, keep your best female(s), identify/label your best female seed lots, search for a good male in the F6s to back cross to your female(s). You might even consider making S1s. Either way, make lots of seed and you can play around in that gene pool for ages. Get your hands on a legit original cut down the line and hit it with your BB pollen. Endless possibilities. Well worth the hunt.

M.