What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Gry could use your thoughts, prayers, meditations, or what ever you have to offer

M

Mr D

Bunch of Bad Asses in this thread.
Gonna put you folks in charge of covid, fuck pence...LOL

Nice work gents!

We might not always agree but we are a community and together we can move mountains.

I'm totally overwhelmed by the support of all the members who stepped up to the plate. While I don't know Gry very well my wife suffers from COPD so I understand Gry's plight.

NEW ENGLAND

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks, and great news, indeed, D.

I wasn't as much worried about doing harm from elevated O2 levels (his lungs can only take so much in right now anyway, from what I understand), as I was thinking that there's a number of potential sources for his sense of well-being or malaise, and if the oxygen monitor is showing acceptable levels of O2 in his blood, then there's a second or third (or ???) potential source for the circumstance. Like running an engine diagnostic analyzer, to help determine why the miss is there.

Actually you can do a great deal of harm if you set the O2 litres high on a COPD patient.Ordinarily they will do fine at 88-92% oxygen level.You do not want to try and get them up to 100% ,a high amount of oxygen will knock out their respiratory drive.
Definitely need that pulse ox for the finger.Also if the patient has a low body temp their hands/fingers are cold and you cant get a reading.I will soak my patients fingers in hot water for a couple of minutes or wrap their hand In a hot towel to get a reading.Please check with your Doc for their advice as to how many litres to use,alot of people dont take/realize how negative a high flow rate can affect a respiratory patient.
Sorry to rant , I just want gry to be safe.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I have one of those, and they are nice. Problem is I can't figure out what I am doing that makes me go haywire. Doing the vape does not change the reading. :biggrin: I am a 91-92 person, but also see high 90's sometimes. Why the changes, who knows. The little EKG readout also shows my heart is sometimes uneven. Heart doc did an EKG and all the tests, and says I am good.

There are finger-tip-mounted (clip on) oxygen-level monitoring devices available at Amazon (Prime) ranging from $7 to $30 to $????.

Might be a good idea; would help to separate or define sources of malaise, etc.

They monitor pulse and oxygen levels in the blood.

https://www.amazon.com/oxygen-saturation-monitor/s?k=oxygen+saturation+monitor

Last edited:
M

moose eater

Actually you can do a great deal of harm if you set the O2 litres high on a COPD patient.Ordinarily they will do fine at 88-92% oxygen level.You do not want to try and get them up to 100% ,a high amount of oxygen will knock out their respiratory drive.
Definitely need that pulse ox for the finger.Also if the patient has a low body temp their hands/fingers are cold and you cant get a reading.I will soak my patients fingers in hot water for a couple of minutes or wrap their hand In a hot towel to get a reading.Please check with your Doc for their advice as to how many litres to use,alot of people dont take/realize how negative a high flow rate can affect a respiratory patient.

Absolutely. I was saying that if the O2 monitor indicates he's got plenty of O2, and he feels dizzy, ill, etc., etc., there are other issues he's contending with that might be well beyond his O2 levels, such as kidney/liver problems, etc.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Bunch of Bad Asses in this thread.
Gonna put you folks in charge of covid, fuck pence...LOL

Nice work gents!

Didn't even require bailing out the banks in the process. Imagine that.
:biggrin:

Good Luck Gry. It would be nice if you could scare up a bottle in the meanwhile.

Are you in Alaska, or?

NEW ENGLAND

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Absolutely. I was saying that if the O2 monitor indicates he's got plenty of O2, and he feels dizzy, ill, etc., etc., there are other issues he's contending with that might be well beyond his O2 levels, such as kidney/liver problems, etc.

Absolutely could be a multitude of factors.
88-92% is typically ideal for a respiratory patient usually I do not give more than 2L unless ordered by a doc.

That may seem low (88-92) but that's where copd patients typically live,so to speak.

M

moose eater

Absolutely could be a multitude of factors.
88-92% is typically ideal for a respiratory patient usually I do not give more than 2L unless ordered by a doc.

That may seem low (88-92) but that's where copd patients typically live,so to speak.

Thanks. To clarify, Gry's dealing with what is suspected to be MAC and lung cancer. The larger images on the lungs are likely interfering with O2 absorption.

Note: And for not posting anymore, I seem to chronically be out of rep.. Sorry.

NEW ENGLAND

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Gry I hope you are able to use an incentive spirometer,its a valuable tool to help keep your lung function as high as possible for as long as possible.And they are very reasonable,chances are they have sent you home with them I'm sure.Especially to get some movement to your lower lobes,as you are more vulnerable to pneumonia.
As if you don't have enough on your plate.
I will keep good thoughts for you , and I'm always here for any questions or advice.To the best of my ability anyways.
Take good care

M

moose eater

Gry I hope you are able to use an incentive spirometer,its a valuable tool to help keep your lung function as high as possible for as long as possible.And they are very reasonable,chances are they have sent you home with them I'm sure.Especially to get some movement to your lower lobes,as you are more vulnerable to pneumonia.
As if you don't have enough on your plate.
I will keep good thoughts for you , and I'm always here for any questions or advice.To the best of my ability anyways.
Take good care

I have one of those I haven't used since spine surgery a year and a half ago or so. I can touch it from where I sit.

We'd want to bleach it before sending it. Never even thought of it, and didn't recognize it by the name you posted, then Googled it, and VOILA'! it's less than 3 ft. from me. :laughing:

De-cluttering meets helpful gifting; always a good thing!!!:biggrin:

NEW ENGLAND

ICMag Donor
Veteran
hahaha kudos for keeping it,over the years I've chuckled when I send surgical patients home they always pack their wash basin , but leave their I/S behind.
They wont be able to breathe in a week but they'll have the most supple soft toes this side of the Mississippi.

troutman

Seed Whore
^^^ Food grade hydrogen peroxide with a high % is actually better than bleach and less toxic.
I got a 1 liter bottle from my local grow store with 29% hydrogen peroxide and it oxidizes like
crazy. One drop on your finger and it bleaches your skin white like paper in seconds.

Don't try it. It actually burns. Rinse with water fast. :biggrin:

M

moose eater

^^^ Food grade hydrogen peroxide with a high % is actually better than bleach and less toxic.
I got a 1 liter bottle from my local grow store with 29% hydrogen peroxide and it oxidizes like
crazy. One drop on your finger and it bleaches your skin white like paper in seconds.

Don't try it. It actually burns. Rinse with water fast. :biggrin:

Thanks Trout. All I've got here is a couple gallons of random 3% HP, used when my moms look like they're suffocating for root compaction/O2 deprivation, or suspected early fungal issues.

Still outa' rep.

Guess I should oughta' get some actual work done today, huh?:biggrin:

buzzmobile

Veteran
Gry states he has a sort of hand truck/cart that can load items from the ground level, and then be made to go through/over what is about a 3" rise at his threshold/doorway. Thus he thinks he can get the item into his home. He may or may not need the referenced assistance in assembly
The above is why I love Gry.

M

Mr D

Gonna need your help pushing Gry to get the proper medical help/advice since you appear to have a related background.

Gry needs a patient/medical advocate to work on his behalf. While we might be a well meaning group, this really is something that needs to be overseen by medical professionals.

As you well know, as much as the device can bring him much needed relief there is also the danger that improper use can be harmful. None of us wants that.

C

Capra ibex

OK got some great news Gry is in the process of ordering as I type. Thank everyone who helped reach the goal in such a short period of time.

Moose I'm pretty confident that with great caution and an oxpulse meter Gry can get much need relief without doing any harm. Also since it will take 30 days to reach him perhaps he can get through to the clinic in that time for simple recommendation from a doctor.

Well that happened quickly, good job. :bow: :ying:

Latest posts

Latest posts